PDA

View Full Version : HEATER isn't kicking it out!!!

PhishNFilly
10-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Can somebody please help me. The heater I am using right now isn't keeping my tank temp at 86. Yesterday it stayed at 84's thru the day and this morning it dipped to 82. Should I worry about this or is this normal because of room temps etc etc. When I do a water change I always make it the water is the right temp. I can't afford a pricy heater right now, I just spent a boat load on getting all the proper foods and the fish as well. If I have to get a new heater, any suggestions that won't cost me a fortune? I guess I should have taken care of this before the fish came I know sigh, I thought I had one that would kick it out for me:(. Thanks Very Much! Julia

DiscusOnly
10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Can somebody please help me. The heater I am using right now isn't keeping my tank temp at 86. Yesterday it stayed at 84's thru the day and this morning it dipped to 82. Should I worry about this or is this normal because of room temps etc etc. When I do a water change I always make it the water is the right temp. I can't afford a pricy heater right now, I just spent a boat load on getting all the proper foods and the fish as well. If I have to get a new heater, any suggestions that won't cost me a fortune? I guess I should have taken care of this before the fish came I know sigh, I thought I had one that would kick it out for me:(. Thanks Very Much! Julia

What is the size of your tank?
What is the heater wattage?

seanyuki
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
How big is yr tank and the heater you're using now rated for how many gallons of water......perhaps get a Eheim heater and not that's expensive since these days temperature drops quite a lot at night.

PhishNFilly
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
It's a marine stealthpro.....wattage is 250W it's the biggest one they make. I do know a recall was out on this guys wasn't there, will any store take them back or am I to late? Right now I added a second heater, it's just a silly topfin tho but it did increase my water temp to 85.1 now. Can discus be ok in 82? I hate to run two heaters in this tank, and the topfin is on high. Thanks guys so much. Oh it's a 46 bowfront. Julie

seanyuki
10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Contact Marineland and perhaps send them the old Stealth heater and ask for a replacement heater......usually they ask you throw it away......they will send you a new heater but not Stealth Pro..........perhaps yr LFS can replace you with a similar heater since all Marineland heaters been recalled.....my 2 cents.

http://www.marineland.com/Marineland.home

PhishNFilly
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I think I should mention this.......these juveniles are in this bowfront but not permanently. They are going in a 75 gallon as soon as I reseal the one I have or get a newone. If I have to buy a new heater I might as well get one that will heat a 75 gallon tank yes? Thanks again for all help. Julia

DiscusOnly
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I think I should mention this.......these juveniles are in this bowfront but not permanently. They are going in a 75 gallon as soon as I reseal the one I have or get a newone. If I have to buy a new heater I might as well get one that will heat a 75 gallon tank yes? Thanks again for all help. Julia

Get a 250watts eheim jager

mlov1022
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Get a 250watts eheim jager+1, best prices from: http://www.kensfish.com/jager-heaters.html

PhishNFilly
10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Will a eheim jager 250W heat a 75 gallon tank tho? In less than a month my discus are going into a 75 gallon. Thanks again for your patience. They are only temperarily in this 46 bowfront. And YES kens is the cheapest by far and I been all over the web. Should I get a 250 or go with a 300W? Julia

DiscusOnly
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Will a eheim jager 250W heat a 75 gallon tank tho? In less than a month my discus are going into a 75 gallon. Thanks again for your patience. They are only temperarily in this 46 bowfront. And YES kens is the cheapest by far and I been all over the web. Should I get a 250 or go with a 300W? Julia

250watts is fine for 75gal tank unless your tank in sitting in 50 degree room. I know it's only a little more for the extra 50 watts but I don't like the 300watts cause it's 20" long. You will be fine with either one.

Van

Darrell Ward
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah, a 250 watt Jager will easily heat a 75 gal. I have one 250 watt Jager that easily heats a 150 gal. I have two 250 watt Jagers in a 240 gal. with a 55 gal. sump, no problems either. They work well in a variety of situations. Just keep in mind you will either need to calibrate the dials to give proper readings when setting them up, (it's easy) or else click up the dial past the desired temp. to make up the difference in temp. between the heater and tank. This is because they normally get knocked out of sync from shipping. This is a common problem with all heaters not reading true, but Jager gives you the capability to re-calibrate their heaters. It's too bad no other company does this, it would save them a ton of bad reviews.

PhishNFilly
10-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I am going to order the jager 250. Does anybody know if a LFS sells these guys so I don't have to order online? I don't remember ever seeing Jager Eheim in stores or even the better private sector ones. These fish are so spoiled already, I am never going to be able to be a ex Discus fishie gal..... Unless, something dreadful happens to the ones I have. I must get 3 more tho, which ones tho. I need to hoof it around and get to all three stores that have Hans delivered to them. Also thank goodness for this site, I would be lost without it. Thanks again! Julia

Darrell Ward
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't where you're located exactly, but a few stores do sell them in some areas. Of course the price is usually about $10 or so more. Shipping costs can even out the difference in some cases.

DiscusOnly
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I am going to order the jager 250. Does anybody know if a LFS sells these guys so I don't have to order online? I don't remember ever seeing Jager Eheim in stores or even the better private sector ones. These fish are so spoiled already, I am never going to be able to be a ex Discus fishie gal..... Unless, something dreadful happens to the ones I have. I must get 3 more tho, which ones tho. I need to hoof it around and get to all three stores that have Hans delivered to them. Also thank goodness for this site, I would be lost without it. Thanks again! Julia

My first ebo Jager were purchased from a LFS (that pet place in Lancaster PA). They still sell them at the store and online but Kens price is very good.

Van