PDA

View Full Version : FS: Assassin Snails (w/pic)

Greenheinie
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi guys/girls,

Once again, I need to thin the herd of assassins in my tank. These guys are all homegrown and have been living a life of luxury in the discus tank. They've been treated to only the finest foods including beefheart (thanks Al!), bloodworms, FD Australian blackworms (thanks again, Al!), and live snails.

In case you're not familiar with assassin snails, they will hunt down and eat all of those annoying snails that you can't stand seeing in your tank. Once they're done with those, they will function wonderfully as a cleanup crew, eating up loose/tiny bits of food that settles to the bottom of the tank. The benefit is that they reproduce slowly so you won't be overrun by these guys in a matter of weeks.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68848&d=1316014395

$3 each if you buy up to 5.
$2.50 each if you buy 5 or more.

Shipping USPS Priority: $6.50

Please feel free to ask any questions here or shoot a PM.

Thanks,

Mark

ps...if I screwed up and the pic doesn't appear, it's in my album under my profile.

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
well i don't see any pics and tried to open your album and it wouldn't let me....

Greenheinie
10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry, I just realized that I had the privacy settings not set to "everyone." It should be visible now...hopefully. :o

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-25-2011, 02:39 PM
see it...thanks...

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-25-2011, 02:40 PM
ive read that they eat shrimp... have you found that to be true...if you also keep shrimp that is...

Sea Hag
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I keep a little planted RCS tank with a few Assassins and I've not seen the RCS population dwindling, only multiplying. I don't think an Assassin could catch a shrimp. They move slowly and the shrimp can dart quickly, at least in my little tank.

coralreefer68
10-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Good deal if you have pest snails....I bought some from Green several months ago....they have started to breed and my pest snail population has dropped from complete takeover to minimal! Greens shipping was great, all arrived alive.....would definetly buy from again!
Thanks again Green.....

John

Greenheinie
10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi John, thanks for the kind words. Assassins are definitely slow to breed in comparison to pest snails, but given time and good conditions, even assassins will multiply before you know it. (at least they're easy to manage though...just take them out and sell them to the next guy in line with pest snail problems ;))

Coffee, I'll second what Sea Hag said. I actually have a whopping ONE rcs which managed to hitchhike on some moss I bought and he is alive and well amongst a sea of assassins. I've also seen a few comments that assassins eat shrimp, but I find that very hard to believe. They'll certainly eat the shrimp AFTER they die though.

Greenheinie
10-31-2011, 11:28 AM
One last bump. Will make a final shipment tomorrow.

Thanks!

Greenheinie
11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Plenty more for sale if anybody is interested. Shoot me a PM :).

Greenheinie
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
bump

Skip
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
green.. do you want to trade some FROGBIT (floating plant) & Java moss for some snails?

Greenheinie
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
No thanks, I'm actually getting ready to take down my 20g planted and turn it in to a breeding haven for my young pair which have tried a couple times now to make babies. Mom lays eggs, but "dad" (assuming it's a male) seems a bit clueless...otherwise they're both super protective and didn't eat the eggs.

laborelch
12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
green.. do you want to trade some FROGBIT (floating plant) & Java moss for some snails?

I would be interested. PM me if you want to trade some :-)

(sorry to Greenheinie to hijack his thread)

BTW, have never seen an assassin's eat a live shrimp. My RCS "ride" on the snails :)

Greenheinie
12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
More available if anybody is interested.

TNT77
12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Sent you a money order today on some. :)

rebus20
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Pm sent.