PDA

View Full Version : snow in oct?

jimg
10-29-2011, 07:04 PM
we have about 6+" of snow 6 more to come, trees sagging a lot still have leaves on them, electric blinking off........it's only october!!!!

stephcps
10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I know.....Same boat in CT. We just lost power for first time ever. Don't have a generator. I will probably have dead fish by tomorrow.

jimg
10-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear that Steph. I would wrap blankets around the tanks. I have also used soda bottles with water in them heating water on the stove then put some (bottles) in the tank.
I have a generator but it's big and I have no one here to help me get it out of the cellar.
gonna be a loooong night!!

roclement
10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
guess who just rode his motorcycle for about 200 miles of cold, snowing weather? That's right...this guy! :-)

A couple of hundred miles in light rain/sun mix...wind gusts..and then 200 miles of cold snow in the Blue Ridge Mountains! Arrived at the hotel in Waynesboro VA, at nightfall and almost freezing temps...life is good!

Rodrigo

jimg
10-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Ha! I remember those days!! few times riding a 540lb bike with my feet down in the snow!
Have fun Rod!

terps
10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
There's terrible damage in some spots in the North East. Heavy wet snow with leaves on trees and some wind equals a power outage disaster.

http://nuwnotes1.nu.com/apps/mediarelease/clp-pr.nsf/0/3533FCA3126D4623852579390015568D?OpenDocument

BERLIN, Conn. – October 30, 2011 – Damage assessment efforts have begun following a rare October nor'easter that sent trees and branches crashing down on electrical wires and equipment across the state. All of the 149 cities and towns served by Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P) were affected by the storm. Nearly 770,000 CL&P customers were without power earlier this morning, surpassing the peak number of outages caused by Tropical Storm Irene two months ago.

"This will not be a 'quick fix'...this may take more than a week to restore all of our customers. There are reports of trees down practically everywhere," said Jeff Butler, president and chief operating officer, CL&P. "To help with damage assessments, we're using two helicopters. Our other priorities today are handling emergency situations and working in partnership with the towns to clear the blocked roads."

This event differs from Tropical Storm Irene in that this storm has caused significant damage to our transmission lines, which are the lines that take power from electric generating plants and feeds it to the distribution grid that serves local homes and businesses.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OCTOBER_SNOW_POWER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-29-18-36-18

jarret8x
10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
There's terrible damage in some spots in the North East. Heavy wet snow with leaves on trees and some wind equals a power outage disaster.

http://nuwnotes1.nu.com/apps/mediarelease/clp-pr.nsf/0/3533FCA3126D4623852579390015568D?OpenDocument

BERLIN, Conn. – October 30, 2011 – Damage assessment efforts have begun following a rare October nor'easter that sent trees and branches crashing down on electrical wires and equipment across the state. All of the 149 cities and towns served by Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P) were affected by the storm. Nearly 770,000 CL&P customers were without power earlier this morning, surpassing the peak number of outages caused by Tropical Storm Irene two months ago.

"This will not be a 'quick fix'...this may take more than a week to restore all of our customers. There are reports of trees down practically everywhere," said Jeff Butler, president and chief operating officer, CL&P. "To help with damage assessments, we're using two helicopters. Our other priorities today are handling emergency situations and working in partnership with the towns to clear the blocked roads."

This event differs from Tropical Storm Irene in that this storm has caused significant damage to our transmission lines, which are the lines that take power from electric generating plants and feeds it to the distribution grid that serves local homes and businesses.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OCTOBER_SNOW_POWER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-29-18-36-18

I got a little bit of damage to my own house in new hampshire. It ripped my service pole right off my house then another took out my composite railings on my back deck.
My neighbors got a tree on their car and one crushed their shed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tofe
10-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I live next to Berlin,ct and we lost power yesterday at 4:00pm. Wires and trees down everywhere. I figured not going to have power back for a few days. Only thing I am hoping is there is a firehouse down the street so hopefully t hey will want to get them online.
I move all my discus and angel prs to my parents house. They will live in totes until we get power back. I left around 200 half dollar size angels behind but my family wants me to go get them also.
Anyone using portable generator? How much of your house can you run and what size. What do they cost

Brian

Rummy
10-30-2011, 04:30 PM
90 degrees and sunny. ;)

Rummy
10-30-2011, 04:33 PM
But, seriously, be careful out there. Hope all is well with all of you. It is not easy to have to deal with the cold. Much more dangerous.

Anik

wendy9722
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
We got snow here too in Chambersburg pa but I didnt have to deal with power outages. It was only going on and off for a couple of hours. (Thank God!!!!!)

jarret8x
10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I live next to Berlin,ct and we lost power yesterday at 4:00pm. Wires and trees down everywhere. I figured not going to have power back for a few days. Only thing I am hoping is there is a firehouse down the street so hopefully t hey will want to get them online.
I move all my discus and angel prs to my parents house. They will live in totes until we get power back. I left around 200 half dollar size angels behind but my family wants me to go get them also.
Anyone using portable generator? How much of your house can you run and what size. What do they cost

Brian

I have a 5500 honda generator runs my heat fridge lights fish tanks and I can also flush my toilets and shower with warm water.

jimg
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM

BrianHey Brian
We got hit here to, electric off middle of the night. I have a 6250 generator and it keeps 5 tanks heated filtered and the refridge, but that's it. I can use house lights and more but they will be dim.
I heat the front with a propane fireplace insert and there is a floor vent above that that lets heat upstairs so were not as bad as some.My house was built 1854 so that's how they heated upstairs!
Good luck with things.
Jim

stephcps
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Went home from work this am to get the family. Too cold for the kids. Had to drive 40 miles to a hotel that would let us keep the dog. Everything in the hartford area is already taken up. We had a reservation, only to find out right after we made it, the hotel lost power. My house was an easy 55 degrees, tanks were reading 62. My town is 100% without power. Everyone I know is without power. We had trouble just finding lunch. It is apparently going to be a "prolonged" outage. What worries me most is that they SAY its gonna be prolonged. That is never a good sign.

But, for all the bad, we are all safe.

Tofe
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi jarret and Jim thanks for the gen input
All fish at my parents but they were in the cold water for a while

stephcps
10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Went to the house today...all are dead. Pretty sure this time I'm done.

jimg
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Very sorry to hear that Steph.

Second Hand Pat
10-31-2011, 09:51 PM

So sorry...that hurts.

Rummy
10-31-2011, 10:16 PM
So sorry.

Chad Hughes
10-31-2011, 11:04 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Please don't give up! Thoughts are with all of you hit by the storm.

Best wishes.

brewmaster15
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
What a mess here... My front yard looks worse than after the last hurricane.... Trees down, huge branches snapped...Trees I spent years cultivating split down the middle ....cable and internet torn from the House.... Power in my neighborhood has been spotty..we got lucky there....knock on wood. Never have I seen a snowstorm when the leaves were on the trees.

Took the kids trick or treating last night and we had to skirt downed limbs and lines.... it was surreal seeing Halloween celebrators walking thru snow filled yards.

-al
Steph,
Sorry for your losses...That can't be replaced, but glad you are well. When things settle down and you get power back up...let me know...I have quite a few home grown fry right now....You can have some if you want.

mmorris
11-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I lost power for 2 1/2 days. I stoked up the fire in the basement every two hours, day and night so the top racks stayed at 82, the lower racks at 78 ish. I hooked up an inverter and ran my car non-stop to get lights, air into the tanks, heat to fry tanks in the lower level and to keep cannisters running. The electric crew barely avoided a big, sloppy kiss when they pulled into my drive late last night. It felt like the tornado all over again.

brewmaster15
11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I lost power for 2 1/2 days. I stoked up the fire in the basement every two hours, day and night so the top racks stayed at 82, the lower racks at 78 ish. I hooked up an inverter and ran my car non-stop to get lights, air into the tanks, heat to fry tanks in the lower level and to keep cannisters running. The electric crew barely avoided a big, sloppy kiss when they pulled into my drive late last night. It felt like the tornado all over again. Glad you weathered it Martha.. Its been some really off weather the last year here in the Northeast.

-al

mmorris
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Tornado, hurricane, nor'easterner in October... hmmmm

roclement
11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
...earthquakes...

Chad Hughes
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
You guys are really making me feel fortunate to be living in San Diego! :angel:

stephcps
11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was able to save some of my other fish...my breeding pair of blue angels and a couple of their fry, one of my BN plecos, all of my CRS look good. All of my beautiful ICAs from jimg though...that hurt.

Thanks a ton Al,you don't know how much I appreciate it!!

jarret8x
11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Still no power at my place. They said they are hoping to have 95% of my town done by midnight thursday. That's the only estimate they would give me.

Disgirl
11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was able to save some of my other fish...my breeding pair of blue angels and a couple of their fry, one of my BN plecos, all of my CRS look good. All of my beautiful ICAs from jimg though...that hurt.

Thanks a ton Al,you don't know how much I appreciate it!!
Steph, I am so sorry to read what has happened to you and your fish. I send all of you up in the snow and cold my very best wishes for it to end soon. Here we had to deal with power out due to the hurricane in Aug. and instead of cold we had high heat with no AC. But not as bad as the cold I know. Hang in there!
Barb

stephcps
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
It is quite the mess up here that is for sure!! I think I am over the initial shock. I am not restocking until I have a generator!!! That much I know.
People are still having trouble getting gas and food!!

dmun24
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
hi stephcps sorry to hear you lost your fish lost all of mine this sucks

brewmaster15
11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
hi stephcps sorry to hear you lost your fish lost all of mine this sucks Bummer Dennis!!!:( Sorry to hear you lost them too.

-al

stephcps
11-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Definitely a bummer Dennis. Sorry for your loss as well. There are several people on another forum I frequent that have total losses as well. Really, really, stinks.

spiri
11-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Well I guess you have to keep the spikes ready a lot early this year. Probably what would be the bad side to it for me is having to take that layer of snow off my car every morning. I would have no troubles with the lawn or whatnot, but the aquarium looks to be affected with the cold weather as well. I should probably move it at a more covered place.

aalbina
11-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Brian

Yes - I live in southern New Hampshire. I have a genrac portable with a connection outside wired to my breaker box. You can buy a 4000 watt genrac for between 800- 1100 dollars. Wiring by an electrician into your panel probably a few hundred more. I run 6 circuits of the generator: furnace, one well, fridge and some lighting on each floor. The well pump is 220 so I have to be careful firing up the well and turn most everything else off but it's not a big deal. If I had a higher wattage generator I would have to monitor as much.

I run my 55 off the generator (2x 150 heaters on a finnex controller) 1 canister, no lighting and a sponge filter air pump. I also run the storage barrel with 2 heaters and an air pump.

Adam

spiri
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I actually wish there would be snow already. I always feel so good and alive when snow is falling down on me. :)