PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Poisoning. HELP.

cosmodude12
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi. I cleaned the tank the other day and did WC. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn the filter on after WC because I got distracted with other things. The next day, the water was so cloudy and the fish were gasping for air and some of them were at the bottom of the tank.

I managed to do WC right away and all of them recovered very quickly, now, eating good and their burnt scales recuperated.

But, only one fish that is still recovering and breathing at the bottom of the tank. He basically lays on the side and I assume he is probably severely injured. What should I do? Euthanize or try to cure/fix him?

Any suggestions?

Stag
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
How long has he been laying on the bottom?

Does he have abnormally red gills?

How quickly is he breathing?

Is he dark or discolored?

Does he react at all when food is put into the tank?

Maria Ashton
10-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Personally I would give him some time before taking radical action, add a little salt to the water if you can or something to de-stress the fish. Keep up the water changes large volumes and watch for a nitrite spike in a few days. I would be tempted to do 75% wc everyday for ten days.

jimg
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
I would get them in methylene blue asap

lane mechtel
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
methylene blue can help with ammonia poison if things do not start to look better.
- LANE

cosmodude12
10-31-2011, 06:27 PM
1)He's been laying more than 24hours.
2)The gills look fine to me. However, the fins not moving.Some part of the body esp the fins starting to look whitish, slowly dying.
3)Pretty slow breathing.
4)Not dark, not discolored.
5)He doesn't move. Just lay on his side.

So, not sure what to do.

cosmodude12
10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
How long has he been laying on the bottom?

Does he have abnormally red gills?

How quickly is he breathing?

Is he dark or discolored?

Does he react at all when food is put into the tank?

1)He's been laying more than 24hours.
2)The gills look fine to me. However, the fins not moving.Some part of the body esp the fins starting to look whitish, slowly dying.
3)Pretty slow breathing.
4)Not dark, not discolored.
5)He doesn't move. Just lay on his side.

So, not sure what to do.

lipadj46
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Do you have MB? I would put him in a QT tank and dose as recommended, it will help with the breathing and keep away fungus and secondary infections