PDA

View Full Version : corydoras

ozone
11-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Hello ,I've set up a bare bottom discus tank with bit of driftwood in it and a terracotta pot with gravel and a big plant in it and want to put some corydoras in. Will they be o.k on the bare glass??

chrisb01
11-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Yes they will.

ozone
11-02-2011, 06:52 AM
thanks very much for the reply!!

ericatdallas
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Chris already answered, but yeah, mine haven't ever had problems and grow nice and fat. Had one die due to an ugly impeller incident.

Highly recommend you use those intake strainers even if you 'think' they are too big to fit through :(

DelawareJim
11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Eric stole my thunder. They will try and hide in anything they can find with a bare bottom tank.

Cheers.
Jim

Wes
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Sterba cory got 10 of them in a 120 with some discus. They like hidding under a piece of driftwood.

ozone
11-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I have another question, Today it was 29 C and in the summer it can get up to 40 on the odd occasion. Today the tank heated up to 28c from 27 and I hear corys don't do too well in the hotter conditions. Is 28C okay for pepperd corys. I used to have Discus breeding tanks in the garage.On a roaster of a summers day the tanks would sometimes heat up to 36C the discus tolerated this well and I never lost a fish due to this. Any input appreciated :) I am considering getting bristle nose instead of corydoras if they can't hack the heat!

Maria Ashton
11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I have my Corydora in a 30C tank, they are fine - seem very happy. I have 2 pandas and 5 of the bronze ones all seem fine.

ozone
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
thankyou for the reply:)

I would rather get the corys just because I find them comical and had some when I was 13 and always wanted to get them again but I would hate to kill them with too high a temperature! I'm still cycling my tank. All the water values are really good ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate close to 0. I'm itching to put a few corys in but I think I'll wait two more weeks. I got a really good light from my lfs and the plants are thriving in terracotta plant pots after two weeks, new leaves are growing.
It's only a 140 liter tank but i'm really enjoying it , it's like my science experiment lol

YSS
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I think Cory should be kept with fine substrate. They will live in a bb tank, but it's not an ideal environment.

ozone
11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I wonder under what type of setup they are commercially bred and raised? whether or not it has fine gravel or sand or just bare bottom! Looking forward to any other ideas !:)

mmorris
11-17-2011, 12:08 AM
My sterbai cory tanks - breeding and grow-outs - are all bb and the cories don't seem to care.

ozone
11-23-2011, 07:01 AM
MMorris

in reply to your reply about your sterbai cories, what is the ideal temperature for them?

I'm not getting discus but just a shoal of cardinals and some corydoras. Trying to get the right ones for each other. I have had Discus in the past and found that this forum is universal!! helpful for any amazon tank! I still have all my discus tanks in the garage. I used to have two breeding pairs 1 pair diamonds and 1 pair blue snakeskins and rasied a few batches of fry.Alot of work it is :)

mmorris
11-23-2011, 11:42 PM
MMorris

in reply to your reply about your sterbai cories, what is the ideal temperature for them?

I'm not getting discus but just a shoal of cardinals and some corydoras. Trying to get the right ones for each other. I have had Discus in the past and found that this forum is universal!! helpful for any amazon tank! I still have all my discus tanks in the garage. I used to have two breeding pairs 1 pair diamonds and 1 pair blue snakeskins and rasied a few batches of fry.Alot of work it is :)
Yes, a lot of work! LOL I keep my sterbais at around 81-82 F but I couldn't tell you what ideal is.