PDA

View Full Version : have a question

drasbell
11-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm quite new to discus and all I have a 20 gal tank its been set up for a while the water is good all the tests show OK the no nitrites, ammonia, and the ph is at 7.3 or so, ive been buying ro water form my pet store and changing 6 gal once a week, the temp is at 86deg. I have a gravel bottom with 5 live plants that were recqumended by my pet store , the filter is a canaster type. oh and a sunlamp for the plants its on like 12hrs day
I have one 2" discus and 13 neon's one catfish
My question is ever since I added the discus all the fish hang at the bottom of the tank, sept for feeding times. The discus eats but only off of the bottom. It is very shy he seems to hide in the back area of the tank is this normal? oh this is the 3rd day of having the discus. any advice would be greatly helpfull.

Scot
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Hello and welcome discus are a schooling fish and very timid as well he desperately needs more of his own kind this means a larger tank I went close to the same route as you I put a 3 inch discus In a 125 g he was always hiding except at feeding time I added 5 more the next week and as soon as he saw them he was out there right with them most in here will also say that you should not have gravel as a substrate and to use sand I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice here good luck

Wes
11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm quite new to discus and all I have a 20 gal tank its been set up for a while the water is good all the tests show OK the no nitrites, ammonia, and the ph is at 7.3 or so, ive been buying ro water form my pet store and changing 6 gal once a week, the temp is at 86deg. I have a gravel bottom with 5 live plants that were recqumended by my pet store , the filter is a canaster type. oh and a sunlamp for the plants its on like 12hrs day
I have one 2" discus and 13 neon's one catfish
My question is ever since I added the discus all the fish hang at the bottom of the tank, sept for feeding times. The discus eats but only off of the bottom. It is very shy he seems to hide in the back area of the tank is this normal? oh this is the 3rd day of having the discus. any advice would be greatly helpfull. When you have time to read this is a great guide and will answer alot of your questions. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus