PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Best Discus died by the worst disease of all... neglect :(

ericatdallas
11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
This belongs in the beginner's section... I risked the health of my discus and my best discus paid her life for it.

Anyway, my tank was getting pretty bad lately but I kept up with the WCs. The filter started to clog up and I swore I would take care of it Friday night after everything was done. I was pretty sad last night because of some stuff at work so I kept pushing it away. Worst part, I told myself I would go and take care of the tank when my wife went to bed... well as soon as she did, I passed out on the couch.

My Discus died this morning.

Bottom line, take your WC seriously... such a n00b mistake :(

Keep your filters clean :(

Worst part, I was determined that I was going to setup my 75G for my breeding tank for my Albinos. Well, you guessed it, the female was the other half of the pair... I guess I'll have to drop by Mike's again soon...

I'm kicking myself. It seriously take me no time at all to change the water.

jimg
11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
that sucks! sorry to hear that

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Ouch Eric, sorry to hear...painful lesson :(

Jennie
11-05-2011, 07:14 PM
sorry to hear this Eric..I tell ya, many a days after work I don't want to come home and do these tanks..I've slacked lately on the filters too...hearing your story though will get me off my butt

Discus-Hans
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Eric, never delay till tomorrow what you should have done yesterday. Now I hear you think yeahhhh rub it in.

But also remember, it's just a hobby (I know, I know, life animals etc etc etc) but there are times that other things are more important in life as cleaning that filter and a lot of things happen for a reason.

Also thank you for supporting us Discus sellers by killing your Discus lol lol

Okay this was some kidding hope it makes you feel a little better.

Hans

Darrell Ward
11-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't think a dirty filter would kill your fish, unless you had a hellva ammonia spike.

atitagain
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear that eric, sometimes life just gets busy and you get worn out.

Sean Buehrle
11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm with Darryl on it not being your filter being dirty or your tank.

If it was then your tank or filter went through a cycle and there would be nitrite or ammonia.

Did ya check your levels?

Sorry pal, it sucks when ya lose a good one.

judy
11-05-2011, 09:30 PM
aww, damn. that's a shame.

SeaDragon
11-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your female. I totally understand how life can get crazy! It's really hard keeping up with 4 tanks while being in high school. Loosing one can really be a great lesson as to what happens when we put off things, thanks for sharing.

cjr8420
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
was it a canister filter or hob sry for ur loss

nc0gnet0
11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree with Daryl, this doesn't sound like a filter problem. I do try to have at least one sponge filter in every tank, even those tanks in which the primary filtration is a HOB or a canister, but this is primarily for an added level of protection in the case of power failure. A completely clogged filter can have catastrophic consequences for sure, but this would typically effect all of your fish to various degrees, and not just one.

Rick

Maria Ashton
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I also do not think it was your filter, having knocked my bio filter out and battled high nitrites for 10 days not a single one of my thirteen discus died, and they were all still fine 30 days later - which is apparently when you can still loose them as a result of nitrites and or ammonia poisoning.

Sorry about your fish but dont beat yourself up, sometimes things are beyond our control.

ericatdallas
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
sorry to hear this Eric..I tell ya, many a days after work I don't want to come home and do these tanks..I've slacked lately on the filters too...hearing your story though will get me off my butt

Yup, that's why I posted it. To re-emphasize the importance of keeping up with maintenace. Not just WCs. Whether it's filters, checking your fish for any negative health signs, or just making sure they're properly fed. Slacking a few times is probably okay, but it's like playing russian roullette and you never know when the bullet is in the chamber.

But also remember, it's just a hobby (I know, I know, life animals etc etc etc) but there are times that other things are more important in life as cleaning that filter and a lot of things happen for a reason.

Yeah, I used that excuse to omany times to justify inaction... this time I was taught an expensive lesson and an innocent fish paid with her life :(

Also thank you for supporting us Discus sellers by killing your Discus lol lol

LOL, not a problem, happy to help :) Although I'm probably going to wait until I get everything setup completely before buying any more discus.

I don't think a dirty filter would kill your fish, unless you had a hellva ammonia spike.

I purposely didn't go into details because I knew what I did wrong and when I post too much information, people overly fixate on specific details.

So whether it was the filter or "something" else, bottom line the fish died due to my inaction/negligence :(

But yeah, it was ammonia.

fishcrazed
11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
why dont you set up an auto water changer? thats what i do when i dont have time to do water changes.

i fill a container (or a spare tank) and declon the water add a heater and some bubbles and just leave it there till i need it. when i dont have time to do a proper water change i stick a pump in the tank to suck the old water out then i stick the pump in the prepared water to pump water into the tank. not a proper water change but it lets me get by on those busy days

Sean Buehrle
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Sounds like someone might need to scale back on a tank or two, been there :)

zman78
11-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Just curious, what size of tank do you have, how many fish and when was that last time you did a water change?

Chad Adams
11-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Eric,
Sorry to hear buddy. Wish you lived closer, maybe could help you. Take care.
Chad

ericatdallas
11-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Eric,
Sorry to hear buddy. Wish you lived closer, maybe could help you. Take care.
Chad

Yeah, looks like that discus I bought from you will be on to wife #3.