PDA

View Full Version : Gravel ok?

mr.wen
11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Can gravel be used as a substrate? I know bare bottom is preferred but really like the natural look. If I go to sand can I make the change with full tank ? Don't want to empty it already cycled just making the switch to discus. Thank you

lane mechtel
11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I Have Used gravel in the past but very little 1/2'" deep, BB or sand is better for a clean tank. I now use 1/2" sand and it is alot eaiser to keep clean.

mr.wen
11-05-2011, 05:06 PM
What type of sand do you use?

PleiadesSTi
11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I use gravel. Make sure you vacuum it once a week at least.

judy
11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
The finest gravel you can get would be best. The coarser the gravel, the more gunk it traps. And keep it well vacuumed.

MPETERS
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi,

I am new to this also. Most have said use pool filter sand. Some use gravel. If you use sand make sure you wash it well before putting in the tank.

Luck,
Mike

PleiadesSTi
11-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Here me out. Since sand particles are small and fit together closely with very little air space in between each particle as compared to gravel then wouldn't it be logical to assume that sand would have more issues with anaerobic bacteria as compared to gravel?

judy
11-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Anaerobic bacteria are not really an issue either in sand or gravel if the sand or gravel bed are kept properly vacuumed. Only when there is a major, major buildup of crud combined with zero oxygenated conditions will you get serious anaerobic pockets. In a heavily planted tank, plant roots take care of the gravel bed's oxygen issues. In a tank where there is just a thin substrate, the aquarist takes care of it by cleaning properly. Thin substrates are very unlikely in any event to build up such pockets. The concern over anaerobic bacteria was really not much more than a marketing tool, IMO, to convince people to buy undergravel filters in years gone by.

Darrell Ward
11-05-2011, 09:47 PM
IMO no. Gravel is not an option I would even consider because it traps crap far too easily, and you can never remove 100% of it no matter how often you vac it. It gets down under the gravel bed, making a permanent sewage trap. If you have ever removed gravel from an established tank, and seen all the smelly crud that was trapped on the tank floor, then no further explanation is necessary. Also, you should never have a bed of substrate of any kind deep enough to go anaerobic. That's insane. A 1/4" to 1/2" is plenty unless you have a planted tank, which really shouldn't contain discus in the first place. IMO plants in a discus tank should NOT require their roots to be planted in substrate. The use of plants that can grow on driftwood, or floated on the surface is a much safer, better option. They are also far easier to grow, and don't require fiddling around in the tank all the time, keeping fish more relaxed.

dbfzurowski
11-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I would say no gravel. If you decide to do sand, stir it often! I use pool filter sand.

mr.wen
11-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info will talk to the local pool store guy.

saary
11-09-2011, 03:18 AM
gravel almost killed my discus. even with undergravel filter! i found too much waste under undergravel filter which couldnt be removed even with canester filter sucking from the undergravel pipe

walt3
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
fyi. i set up my tank with gravel before knowing all the details about the discus prefered set up. its working but i do lots of deep vacing all the way to the glass bottom of the tank. lesson learned. :( next time its sand for sure. good luck. im sure there are spots i miss but the majority of the tank is clean. i am trying to slowly switch things around. lots of work.

judy
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
IMO no. Gravel is not an option I would even consider because it traps crap far too easily, and you can never remove 100% of it no matter how often you vac it. It gets down under the gravel bed, making a permanent sewage trap.

all true. very true. if you absolutely must go with gravel for aesthetics, a thin layer and vacuum it religiously.

Skip
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
what size fish do you plan on getting?

mr.wen
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Juvies . Will start over take tank down wash it out good and go with sand.