PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic tile substrate?

brands24
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
So I love the ease of bare bottom and hate the look. I thought sand colored ceramic tile might be a good alternative. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm afraid of sludge and detritus collecting underneath it over time. I do 90% water changes 3/week and vaccum each time, but I don't want to have to lift the tiles to clean underneath. Would it help to put the tile on top of an undergravel filter?

jlcoop277
11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Here's a thread I started. Got some good info. Might Solve your problem.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90994-sealing-the-substrate&highlight=

3dees
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
why not paint the bottom whatever color you want.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
What I have seen once was a substrate made out of the same thing people were doing with the "3d" type in-tank backgrounds but just created one that looked like a subtrate, kind of rocky/sandy but out of some type of foam. It looked complex but the result was the same type as a background. Then once it was all carved out to the desired look (1 solid piece) it was fixed to the bottom with sealant to prevent any debree from falling through.

I think this would make a nicer presentation than ceramic tiles and still give you the look you desire. If it can be done to an "in-tank" background, it should be the same for a substrate. You may want to check google or U-Tube to get some better ideas. Who knows, you may be able to sell them if you get the right look?

Good luck!

judy
11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
what a great idea.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BigPoecilia
11-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Or maybe you could glue down you ceramic tile with sealant?

Lionel

what a great idea.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Chad Hughes
11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
You definately do not want an undergravel filter. That will lead to problems.

Would it help to put the tile on top of an undergravel filter?

nc0gnet0
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
enviro-tex lite

ZX10R
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I used ceramic tile in my last set-up but I forgot to silicone the tile seems. I ended up getting so much gunk under the tile I pulled them out and went to pool filter sand. I also had a big problem with brown algae growing on the tile bottom. So if you use tile make sure you silicone the seems or you will have problems.

damtrees
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
seen a buddys tank that they guy has just spread a random layer of silicone down and then coverd it in sand and just washed out all the stuff that wasnt stuck to the silicone looked sweet had the textured uneven sandbed with out all the hassel

Stag
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
That does not sounds like a bad idea damtrees. Do you know how it held up? Do you think you could get any photos from him or get him to post his tank?

damtrees
11-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I will try to take a photo for the longest time i thought it was a sand bed it looked that real i know it was off somonewho has been in the hobbie for a few years so id say it was at least a few years old and i have seen it filled for 2 years now and still looks the same

MightyEvil
11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I have done the foam and sand one before for one of my daughters school projects and it held very well. I carved some styrofoam and made small dunes and stuff. Then I took some silicone and spread it all over the styrofoam, I used latex gloves to spread it nicely all over the surface. Then I took the sand and just dropped it on top of the whole thing and let it sit for a day. Once dried, I picked it up and all the loose sand fell off but the "sandbed" looked very cool! Then I washed it with the hose and it was done.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Is styrofoam good for aquariums? I thought there was a chemical that could leech into the water? Or is there a specific type you used?

MightyEvil
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I have used the type that they sell in Lowes and Home Depot for insulation. I cant remember the brand but it has blue lettering on one side and you need to peel a thin plastic off each side. They are sold in 4' x 8' so you need a truck to take home or will need to cut in half to fit in a bigger vehicle. I have never had a problem with fish dying because of the styro. In fact I have been using that type of styro for a few years now for my aquarium backgrounds and I do have an aquarium running with a styro background to this day.