PDA

View Full Version : Red Turquoise discus

Theloachguy
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Greetings all! I've been an avid angelfish keeper for 30+ years and usually enjoy fish with lifespans in the 5-7 year range with my angels. I had a brief 2-3 year stint of success( I got three pairs out of 8 fish to do several spawns) with some wonderful red turquoise discus I acquired in a trade with a friend a few years back before giving them to another good friend since I was moving. ( wooo i miss those fish!)

I'm setting up a 75 gallon planted tank for a grow out tank and wanted to find some quality red turquoise and possibly some blue diamond discus from a reputable seller. Eventually I will be moving them (6-8 fish) into a 125 gallon planted tank. I have checked out the fish on Hans' site and they sure look amazing. I'm a bit apprehensive however about spending 27-40$ a fish however, seeing as how I rec'd my previous fish for nearly free. :)

Has anyone here purchased some fantastic red turquoise who can give me a good reccommendation?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff E
aka
TheLoachGuy

PleiadesSTi
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Good discus cost $$$$ no getting around that. Any of the sponsors of this forum are reputable form what i have heard.

Sean Buehrle
11-06-2011, 11:33 PM
You have a dilemma here.

#1 you are going to try and grow out discus in a planted tank , it's not easy to do at all. I suggest you grow them out in a bare bottom tank , maybe pot a few plants for looks.

#2 you want a planted tank with discus but don't want to fork over much cash.
Discus do cost a lot of money in some cases but you might get lucky watching the for sale section of this website and get some nice Juvies being sold for 15-20 bucks each, still growing out those Juvies in a planted tank isn't a real easy thing to do.

Put back some cash for a few months and buy some bigger fish and grow them out for 6-8 months and have your planted discus tank.

40 bucks for a nice red turquoise is a good deal, 300 bucks including shipping isn't a lot for 6 nice discus.

Good luck, post some pics when you get em :)

hedut
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
well I been collecting classic (red turq,blue turq, Giant flora, altum flora etc) almost two year now and I only get from Kenny discus for my classic, you could check in my photo album :)

gerrard00
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm setting up a 75 gallon planted tank for a grow out tank

I did this and I really regret it. If I ever grow out juvies again, I'm going BB 55 gallon tank until they are at least a year old. It makes keeping the tank clean much easier, makes wc's easier and makes treating any illnesses that come up much easier. It also keeps you from wasting a lot of dry ferts.

scubajustin
11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Jeff: Hans has amazing fish – I have 7 of his discus and I am so happy with them. So I would definitely recommend Hans, but I have also heard that Kenny has amazing discus to. Good luck, and post some pictures when you get your discus!

Justin

ericatdallas
11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Jeff, if you end up dropping by this weekend, I'll give you the long-winded version of my experience with a 75G planted.

I've seen Hans Discus from other buyers and I think they're amazing. Jack's had a few too (they were either holdnig it for someone or the customer changed their minds) but it's actually the reason that tipped me over to wanting Discus.

With that said, part of benefit of buying from Hans and Stendker is the great care they go through (and the selection process) for their discus. You obviously get more out of this when buying adults since as younger fish, you still have plenty of time to screw them up.

Basically, I'm saying, if you buy Han's, buy adult unless you're sure you won't screw them up. With a planted tank, you add a new variable to really mess them up. They'll still have the good genes... but the value in his fish are the care they receive (up to that point).

As you already know, Hans is on the top of my list for new Discus (along with some other SD vendors).

Theloachguy
11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Going to try to make it over tomorrow. Will call you tomorrow to make sure all is ok for a visiit.

Darrell Ward
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Honestly, I've been around a long time, and I've maybe seen only 2 or 3 people that have grown out discus anywhere near their full potential in a planted tank. Way too many factors involved. Buy adults, or keep it simple for growouts. I raised red turqs for years, and had some real monsters back in the day. The mention of them made me think about some of them.:)

Theloachguy
11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm taking the advise of folks who posted here and just going with a sand bottom and throwing some stuff into pots or tying some fern to driftwood. I'm going to look around for some Bolbitis heudelotii to mix with my java fern and will plant it out like that.

Discus PB
11-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Here's my 55gal with 5 juvies in it. Simple and easy to take care of.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/pitbullBaits/P1010820.jpg

ericatdallas
11-12-2011, 12:21 AM
yup. I'll be home all day tomorrow, but best time is probably after 1:pm and before 4:pm for me.

I have the kids all to myself tomorrow... :/

I also did some work on my aquariums today, so it's actually much worse but I got another tank up and running and painted my tanks. Maybe tomorrow I can also run some PVC.

Theloachguy
11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
nice looking fish man! Good to meet you.

ericatdallas
11-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks, nice meeting you too. Good luck with your search and if I can get those three additional tanks up and running, along with those barrels setup, AND find time to run the electrical, I'm definitely up to trying to order some fish with you.