PDA

View Full Version : food.......

shoveltrash
11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I just have a quick *newbie question* for you all.....when I see photos of people hand-feeding their Discus, what exactly are they feeding???

as previously mentioned, I'm new to Discus, and before finding this forum I purchased 2 4" PBs from a LFS. I'm worried now that they're stunted (been reading too much!), and want to provide the optimum nutrition requirements. I think the LFS only fed flakes though, because it seems that is ALL they are interested in :(.
"nutrition" is such a huge topic. makes my head spin!
(I did however just order some Prime Reef flakes per recommendations here!)
thx in advance!

edited to add: just got a reply on Kenny's "Nov 2011 Forrest shipment" thread....bloodworms? live? can they be ordered and shipped? I KNOW my LFS doesn't carry those! ARG

Bill63SG
11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
From what little I know,no to the bloodworms.Little nutritional value.Your probably seeing blackworms,freezdried or frozen,or beefheart.I also use a variety of flakes from Ken's.Sponser on here.

Skip
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
you feed them anything you can hold in your fingers.. :)

ericatdallas
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Freeze-dried bloodworms and beefheart have worked for me.

This might sound cheesy, but IMO, it takes a little bit of trust too.

It's not just the food, it's almost the relationship.They used to eat BH out of my hand. I used to be able to scoop them out of the tank with my hand.

I raised them from 1" size though. They stopped doing it after I moved them to the basement. I think the move spooked them and also they don't see me as much as they used to.

edited to add: just got a reply on Kenny's "Nov 2011 Forrest shipment" thread....bloodworms? live? can they be ordered and shipped? I KNOW my LFS doesn't carry those! ARG

Maybe you should order blackworms instead? Most people here prefer them and they're not larvae so you don't have to worry about them turning into insects.

jlcoop277
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I used to feed a lot of bloodworms and while they love them I didn't start seeing real growth until I switched to BH and homemade food.

moon_knight1971
11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
A variety of foods is best. I do flakes, pellets, beefheart, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried bloodworms and live blackworms.

Joey!

gabloo
11-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I give them muscle milk 3 time a day and let them work out every morning ;P. Yap! my guys are buff... O.<

Bloodworm, blackworm (freezed, frozen, live) and beefheart mix

shoveltrash
11-08-2011, 05:44 AM
thanks for the great feedback! is there a preferred source for bloodworm, blackworm, and beefheart <freezed/frozen/live>?
don't know that I'm up to 'making' their food (it's a stretch for me to cook for myself LOL).

I fed some flakes from my fingers last night - and actually it went well! they didn't eat straight from my hand, but it made it easier for them to get food (they compete with their tankmates and are less aggressive eaters). they are SUCH cool fish! hoping to develop that *trust*

TURQ64
11-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Al, (Aquatic Suppliers) and Dan (California Blacworms) are your best sources for freeze-dried, frozen, or live blackworms..Dan also supplies bloodworms..they are both listed in the sponsor section..

frinklinduds
11-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I give them muscle milk 3 time a day and let them work out every morning ;P. Yap! my guys are buff... O.<

Bloodworm, blackworm (freezed, frozen, live) and beefheart mix

dont forget steroids :)

jlcoop277
11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I've used the freeze dried blackworms In with my homemade mix, I'm about to try either live or frozen.

shoveltrash
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
off to check the sponsor section for Al & Dan! THX :D
(now to source fish-steroids! LOLOL)

strawberryblonde
11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I "trained" mine to eat from my hands with SF Bay frozen beefheart cubes. Mine always get flakes for breakfast (I call it discus cereal), and then about 2 hours later I'd let a beefheart cube warm up in my hand for a minute or so and then dangle just my fingertips into the top of the water.

By doing it as the second feeding of the day they were still good and hungry and it only took about a week for them to start rushing to the front of the tank to beg for cubes every time I walked by. Just keep offering it by hand and be patient and they'll eat from your hand before you know it!