PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sand to an Established Bare-Bottome Tank?

DiscusLoverJeff
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Hello friends,

I wondering if it is safe to add "clean" pool filter sand to an established tank? I only have some pleco's in it right now but once had discus and rams. I am preparing it for some wilds. I figure I could add the sand before the fish arrive.

Thanks,

Jeff

Lenin
11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
That's what I did shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you don't burry any of your fish

DiscusLoverJeff
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Lol, good point. Just a half inch or so, nothing more right now. Just want the sand look to the tank.

DonMD
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I've done that, even with discus in the tank. Do it gently to keep down dust clouds, (even with "clean" sand, you'll probably get some cloudiness). No worries.

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey Jeff, I have added sand with fish in the tank. I always rinse the sand (PFS) prior to adding to the tank. Fill a small container with the clean sand and slowly pour the sand with the container about halfway down the water column. I like to add the sand when doing a WC and the water level is at its lowest point.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will have pics in a few days.

Darrell Ward
11-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I've done it with a 3" piece of pvc pipe, long enough to rise above the water line and still touch the bottom. Pour it in the pipe, and move the pipe around to spread it around. Works great with dry sand, no mess.

DonMD
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I've done it with a 3" piece of pvc pipe, long enough to rise above the water line and still touch the bottom. Pour it in the pipe, and move the pipe around to spread it around. Works great with dry sand, no mess.

Brilliant!

DerekFF
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I just put it in.......my fish seem to like the flurry like food just got poured in or something lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

strawberryblonde
11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I just added sand to my tank with all my fish still in it. I just gently lowered the open bag (pre-rinsed sand) till it was laying flat on the bottom, then lifted the bottom end slowly so that all the sand slid out of the bag and onto the bottom of the tank. Once it was all on the bottom I pushed it around with my algae scrubber pad. No mess at all that way.