PDA

View Full Version : DO youneed ROwater

mr.wen
11-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Ok starting to setup for Discus. Read many different things some say you have to some say no.My tap water
is 7.8ph. So my? is should i use it? We do have it and planing to have a storage tank for water changes. If so do i have to do 50-5o tap water and ro water. Or can you use straight ro water? Please any info would
be great thanks love this site.

mcarbe
11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
your best bet to keep them happy is about 1/3rd RO to your tap water. Don't use straight RO. There aren't enough minerals. You could probably get away with just your tap but they'll be happier with the mix.

Keith Perkins
11-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I use remineralized RO water in breeder tanks, but for growouts or adults that aren't spawning I use straight aged tap water. If you don't plan I trying to breed them, I'd save your money...or maybe spend it on better fish to begin with. :)

jaykne
11-12-2011, 12:12 PM
No your water is fine, domesticated Discus can adapt and do fine in your water as long as it is stable. My Ph comes out of the tap at 7.4 to 7.6 and after 12 hour of aging it settles at 8.3 to 8.5. Because the # of tanks I age my water so I can bring it up to temp, but for any of my Discus except for fry do fine with a water change straight from the tap with prime, but I only have chlorine in my water. I breed and keep my Discus in very hard water.

mr.wen
11-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi ozyKeith do you have any for sale Im looking to buy some here soon once I get upand running? Im
taking it slow and trying todoit right.I live in Rockford so notfar from you.