PDA

View Full Version : Question with white sand

wannafish
11-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I recently swapped out my substrate for white sand. I think it is put
out by Carib Sea and is the very fine white sand. It is almost like
powder but I think the Discus love it. Question: I am getting a
film of blue algae on the surface. It's in the middle of the tank
where the light shines the brightest. It is more blue than blue green.
I tried stirring the sand around but it comes back. I am wondering
if it because the sand hasn't aged yet with the tank. I have a few
trumpet snails and several assassin snails. What to do?

strawberryblonde
11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I have the same sand if it's the Carib Sea super white, very fine stuff. so far I haven't noticed any algae on it, but I also don't turn my lights on for very long each day. Can you try turning them off for longer periods? The only other option is to continue turning the sand over in that area on a regular basis.

billybob
11-14-2011, 03:31 AM
You usually only get that algae when you start a brand new tank (or in your case, give it a major overhaul). Only hangs around for a few weeks, but will annoy the living daylights out of you while its there. I'd honestly just ride it out for a few weeks and it should go away, provided you are using the same amount of light as before. It loves lots of light, so you can try reducing your lighting period if you want to try changing anything. But again, it'll go away when it's ready.

grindman620
11-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Omg i cannot believe someone posted this today!!! I am having this same exact thing happening to me. I have the CaribSea white sand too and the algae is growing on it almost more greenish though for me. I keep trying to siphon it out but it won't go. So I grab my net and try to scoop it out. I do have a pretty decently planted 60 gallon though. do you have any plants?

JustinKScott
11-15-2011, 12:35 AM
I run it in my heavily planted 80g. Perfectly white...

What are your water params? Have you tested phosphate? Do you fertilize or co2? How much light?

NewETown
11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Chances are the color difference in the algae is from different types of lights over each of your tanks. As Strawberry said, just give it time. You'll see it go away. Pull it out if it really bothers you :).

-Everett

wannafish
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I have tried siphoning but it is too heavy and just clumps up into a ball.
I get a fork and rake the sand to try and rid the algae, but mine comes
back also. I have Current Power PC lights overhead and now I have
reduced the lighting time. I will check my phosphate levels. No ferts
or CO2. I am going to get some trumpet snails to help turnover sand.
I have one bunch of vals and I trying to grow some pennywort.

grindman620
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
So you who have commented here saying it will go away. You have had the same thing happen to you? I havent tested for Phosphates, but I am fertilizing based off EI and using Excel. I lowered my light time back by an hour to see if it helps. I would love to get this nasty looking algae out of here lol But whats new :p

Do you think snails would really help wannafish?

NewETown
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are always a good thing. Every tank I've had them in has done significantly better than every tank I haven't had them in. The other thing you could do is get some kind of floating plant like Frogbit or something; floating plants grow very quickly and will use any excess nutrients in your water (once they establish). They will also block out a bit of the light which might help as well.

ExReefer
11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Malaysian Trumpet Snails - will they thrive at discus water temps?

grindman620
11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
+1 is this a good investment in a heavily planted tank? Malaysian Trumpet Snails? Or will they overpopulate the tank

JustinKScott
11-17-2011, 01:03 PM
I actually hate MTS. They clog up my filters and I believe they damage my plants. I bought a load of assassin snails to kill mts.

Algae comes from nutrient imbalance pure and simple. From the location o fthe algae, I'd say you have too much light for the available ferts.. Most likely you don't have enough plants or CO2.

In the photo you can see my one true problem with white sand... It shows the poo. This quantity of poo is 4days old (I do weekly WC on this tank).

http://img.tapatalk.com/4753fcb5-3f00-7c71.jpg

billybob
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, it is from experience that this algae will go away on its own accord. It is merely a symptom of a new tank being set up (or in your case, a major clean).

Don't go tweaking things, don't go testing for phosphates, just give it a few weeks. If its an already well established tank, it is most likely too much light, however it is rare for this kind of algae to show up in established tanks.

Also, if using EI, phosphate will not cause algae. It is one of the many aquarium myths. Phosphate, in the absence of the other elements/light/co2 can however.

fast93accord
11-18-2011, 12:46 AM
I used that sand in a 20 long. Super fine and soft. Really tough to vacuum cause it gets sucked up. I had algae on it till I got corys. The will constantly dig in it and it will stay algae free...

grindman620
11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Do you think a good sized school of corys will really help out all that much with keeping the sand turned around more frequently (helping with algae resting)?

grindman620
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Do you think a good sized school of corys will really help out all that much with keeping the sand turned around more frequently (helping with algae resting)?

wannafish
11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Since I posted last I thought about turning the lights off for a couple of days. I came
home and looked inside the dark tank and noticed that it was gone. Hughh! I have
done a wc and turned the lights back on but I cut back on my time, and it hasn't
come back. I will keep my eyes on it though. Whatever it was, it may have been
short term. I did buy a dwarf pleco also, so I don't know if he helped.

fast93accord
11-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I tried 2 small plecos when i had algae on the sand, but they didn't do much. When the lights go out the corys r out all night digging there faces in the sand covering every inch...

grindman620
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I cut back my lighting by an hour and it seems to be much more controlled.......or the sand is just adjusting better .

chiligum
12-02-2011, 06:44 AM
A school of Cory's which has just been mentioned are the ideal sand shifters!...Mine are constantly going through the sand and blowing it out again through their gills, there would be no time for algae to settle with those in there...I have Brochis and they love the warm water, fantastic Fish for Discus.