PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam

Chicago Discus
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi guys well I just covered the front of the tank of the two new breeding pairs with styrofoam because they seem to be a little shy and hiding behind the breeding cone. I think this might help them acclimate to their new environment better. Has anyone covered the front of there tanks to help with this problem? I have had them for three days now do you guys think I should leave the lights on or off?

nc0gnet0
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Trouble with this is they may never overcome their skittishness. I would leave it off for a couple off weeks then decide.

Rick

LizStreithorst
11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I once had breeding pairs along a wall in what used to be a back porch. There was a lot of foot traffic through it as people headed out the back door to the yard. What I did was use strips of blue painter's tape in a ## pattern on the front of the tanks. It made the fish feel like they had something to hide behind and I could still see them. I got some comments like, "Why are those fish in jail? but it worked.

ZX10R
11-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Be careful cutting that stuff I just took a 2" utility knife to the thigh cutting some this weekend took 7 stitches to close it up wasn't pretty.

Larry Bugg
11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Trouble with this is they may never overcome their skittishness. I would leave it off for a couple off seeks then decide.

Rick

Absolutely agree. You want them to become accustomed to you. Never will with the front covered. It takes time. I have covered the front of a tank with a breeding pair because they were aggressive when I came near the tank but only while they were actually breeding.

Bill63SG
11-15-2011, 12:21 AM
I once had breeding pairs along a wall in what used to be a back porch. There was a lot of foot traffic through it as people headed out the back door to the yard. What I did was use strips of blue painter's tape in a ## pattern on the front of the tanks. It made the fish feel like they had something to hide behind and I could still see them. I got some comments like, "Why are those fish in jail? but it worked.Great idea,Liz.I've had some issue's with lower tanks,below the knee's,getting skittish.Got the painter's tape upstairs.

Chicago Discus
11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
THanks guys took all the styrofoam off the tanks and they actually seem to be doing better. Thank you ......Josie

nc0gnet0
11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
If you were to cover the front of the tank, and they were succesful breeding, chances are you would scare the Bejeesus out of them everytime you tried to perform a water change, which would be very bad.

Skip
11-15-2011, 02:55 PM
if you give them somewhere to hide.. they will hide..

But i like the tape thing!