PDA

View Full Version : Is it required to paint glass?

DiscusBR
11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

Greetings from Brazil. I am planning to put 2 of my Cuipeuas, presented in another thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91991-7-months-update-My-80g-with-7-Cuipeuas-(Pics-and-video)), in a 25g tank with a breeding cone. They have been cleaning the intake of the canister filter for a long time and I want to give them some privacy. I had planned to paint the back and the side glasses of the tank, but amazingly I cannot find a paint store here in Rio de Janeiro that sells paint that can be used in glass. The few stores that had a product only carried horrible colors. So, is it a must to paint the glass or should I try with no paint? Also, the bottom has styrofoam. Is that fine? Thanks in advance.

Chad Hughes
11-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Mauro,

No, paint is not required. Covering three of four sides and the bottom is recommended. I've used contact paper in the past and that worked well.

Hope that helps!

DiscusBR
11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Chad. Good hint about contact paper. I will try that. What about styrofoam on the bottom?

ericatdallas
11-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Just use latex paint. Maybe you're asking the wrong question. The paint shops may think you want paint that will adhere to glass.... latex paint will fly off with high pressure water or scrape easily off. To me, that's desireable.

I just painted mine. A local hardware store here had a 'discount' rack of paint that was messed up or didn't come out right after mixing. I paid $2 for a quart and it was a light blue. After painting it, heck, I would have probably chosen that color.

DiscusBR
11-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Just use latex paint. Maybe you're asking the wrong question. The paint shops may think you want paint that will adhere to glass.... latex paint will fly off with high pressure water or scrape easily off. To me, that's desireable.

I just painted mine. A local hardware store here had a 'discount' rack of paint that was messed up or didn't come out right after mixing. I paid $2 for a quart and it was a light blue. After painting it, heck, I would have probably chosen that color.

Thanks, Eric. It makes sense. I guess it is no big deal if the paint does not adhere completely to glass and can be easily scraped off. By de way, I have been looking for light blue paint.