PDA

View Full Version : Question about Heaters

Gohans_Onna
11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Alright, so I finally took the dive to buy discus! I purchased 9 last night and realized that my heater wasn't up to par anymore once I got home! The temperature is too low, so now I'm in a rush to buy a heater, and quick! I went to my LFS and they didn't have one that was good enough for the size of a tank I have - 125 Gallons - so now I'm looking online. I went to petmountain.com and they don't seem to have one to fit the size of my tank either, so now I am at marineandreef.com looking at this one heater that seems too good to be true:

Eheim Aquarium Heater, 300 Watt
In Stock
Our Price: $26.28 In Stock

Perfect for freshwater or saltwater use

For tanks from 159-264 gallons

Fully submersible

19.75" X 1.5"

6 foot double insulated power cord

Temperature is adjustable from 65°F and 93°F with an easy to adjust thermostat

TrueTemp dial with readjustment ring allows the user to calibrate the heater for a precise temperature reading

Thermo safety control in case the tank runs dry. The heater will shut off when out of the water.

On/off indicator light

Includes clamp with 2 suction cups

Made of shatter-proof glass

For the price this seems way too good. I want to have a very accurate heater but the prices really get crazy with some of these heaters. Any thoughts?

Dennis The Mennis
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I see Pet Mountain has 300watt EBO Jager heaters on their site for about the same price you listed above. This brand seems to recommended here often. As far as size goes, I believe others could give you more knowledge info than I could. However, I will say that with a large tank, I personally like a bit of redundancy. I have two 300 watt Hydor inline heaters scheduled to be delivered today from them. These will go in my 125 gal.

jimg
11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
the heaters will say what size tank they are suited for. try not to oversize the heater, the constant on and off is supposedly what shortens their life. a heater rated for a certain size tank will stay on longer

CrazyAngels
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Kensfish.com has the same jager for $25.25. I've order from him many times and he is one of the sponsors here on Simply.

http://www.kensfish.com/product94.html

Vee
11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
My less-than-a-year 200 Watt Jager stopped working suddenly. Luckily, it was on my guppy tank. I had to send it back to the US distributor with my own coin, IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX, to get a replacement sent to me.

Gohans_Onna
11-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Kensfish.com has the same jager for $25.25. I've order from him many times and he is one of the sponsors here on Simply.

http://www.kensfish.com/product94.html

Thank you! That is the cheapest one I could find! I bought it right away :)

YSS
11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
the heaters will say what size tank they are suited for. try not to oversize the heater, the constant on and off is supposedly what shortens their life. a heater rated for a certain size tank will stay on longer

I did not know that. Anyhow, I got a 300W Hydor external heater a couple of weeks ago. Can't vouch for its reliability, but I really like the heater so far. I like the fact it's not in the tank. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about it stcking or something happening during water changes. It's rated 48 ~ 80G depending on delta between the room temp and the tank temp. Granted that I keep my house pretty warm, I have the heater on my 256G tank and it's been keeping the tank temp at 82F on its own. I had to pull the other heater from the tank for the hospital tank and I was concerned, but no issues. Pretty surprised.

jimg
11-18-2011, 01:08 PM
that's what eheim claims