PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get started.......

Dano22
11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey all first time poster, so i've had a tank for about a year now and im wanting to switch to discus. the tank im using is a 26 gallon bow front. it'll be planted with grow lights and a co2 system. just wondering how i should get into discus, do i start small and grow some out or do i try to find mature fish? how many should i keep? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dano

MPETERS
11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi Dano,

Welcome aboard. I am new to discus myself and fould it very helpful to read "stichy" at the beginning of this section. It is recommend that most new people do not try and grow out small discus. You should plan on about 10 gal. of tank water per fish.

Mike

Skip
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
fish 4" or larger are more forgiving of mistakes by owners.. but cost more..

smaller fish are more prone to take mistakes MORE SERIOUS (death or stunted) then larger fish but are cheaper

larger may cost more up front.. BUT will come out cheaper in the end with Time, Money, Growth, Beauty..

ps.. i grow out almost 20 1" fish in a 30 gallon until they were about 3".. i may not do that again.. but its possible with lots of water changes and quality foods.. the 1" per 10 gallon is a good rule for Adult 5" to 7" fish.. but you can fudge that with smaller fish and good water quality..

ps.. start with QUALITY FISH from a Sponsor.. you will not be sorry!!!!

DiscusOnly
11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Welcome to SD.

To be quite honest. The 26gal tank is not going to be a good fit for discus (especially since it's planted tank).

Skip
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to SD.

To be quite honest. The 26gal tank is not going to be a good fit for discus (especially since it's planted tank).

yes.. my bad.. forgot that part.. go BAREBOTTOM to grow Small ones.. Larger ones ok..

Dano22
11-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Welcome to SD.

why is the fact that it is a planted tank bad? I thought that a well maintained planted tank helps keep the quality of the water high?

DiscusOnly
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
1. Yes, plants do helps with water quality but doesn't elimiate the need for it.
2. Being a planted tank, you are cutting down the space for the discus already in a very small tank. 26 gal bare bottom tank=good for breeding pair

Skip
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
why is the fact that it is a planted tank bad? I thought that a well maintained planted tank helps keep the quality of the water high?

IF you have small ones.. you must feed them several times aday.. that is a lot of food that gets stuck in substrate and go bad..

larger fish don't eat as often, thus are a little better for a planted tank.. for your small tank.. get rid of plants or get different fish..

shoveltrash
11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
hiya! I'm new here too, and new to Discus. personally I'd be hesitant to put Discus in a 26g.....I have a 40g, and now wishing mine was larger (for just a pair + community fish). but then I read here how successful people are with small breeding tanks. maybe invest in a proven pair? good size? I got 4" to start, and am VERY thankful - so far (touch wood) they've resisted all my fumbling attempts at killing them LOL. welcome & good luck :D
ps - also wanted to add, get yourself a good system for regular large water changes :p

gerrard00
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Hey all first time poster, so i've had a tank for about a year now and im wanting to switch to discus. the tank im using is a 26 gallon bow front. it'll be planted with grow lights and a co2 system. just wondering how i should get into discus, do i start small and grow some out or do i try to find mature fish? how many should i keep? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dano

I've only been in this hobby for a year, so I won't pretend to be an expert. I'm only saying this in case it might prevent you from being disappointed down the road. I would strongly recommend against using this tank for discus. Discus are messy eaters, grow to large sizes and are much more comfortable in groups. In such a small tank, you're going to need large daily water changes and hardcore gravel vacuuming. That's going to be bad for your plants. If you miss a few water changes, your water quality will plummet very quickly.

Some people will say you can grow out juvies in a smaller tank, but they are assuming that you are using a barebottom tank with no substrate or plants, that you are doing very frequent water changes and that you are going to upgrade to a larger tank in a few months. If that's not your plan, those suggestions don't really apply.

If I were to move to a place where I could only handle a 26 gallon tank, I would begrudgingly sell my discus and pick up another smaller type of fish.

I'm not trying to be debbie downer, but I definitely recommend you read through this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus