PDA

View Full Version : How small can I go with non-grow out tank conditions?

Dennis The Mennis
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I just about have my setup ready. I have been looking around at what everyone has in stock. I was planning on just getting a bunch of 3" - 4" to stock my tank (125g). Now I'm wondering if I can properly raise 3" discus without a bunch of feedings every day. This will NOT be a bare bottom tank, but I will be keeping up on the wc...

Since I missed out on Kenny's last shipment, I was thinking about getting a bunch from Hans. I was thinking 7 or 8 3" discus would grow up nicely in my 125. Now I am beginning to wonder.

I cannot do a qt tank, so I figure I'll need to stock all at once.

rostick555
11-18-2011, 04:06 AM
I wouldnt do anything less than 4.5 inches and then also if you get more than 8 you will be doing a water change every other day. I speak from experience with a planted 125g myself. I got 13 total ranging between 4.5"-6.5" from kenny. Kenny also just got another huge shipment I would check it out seeing that you are in cali it would be alot cheaper on shipping. It is also alot of work to make a planted set up work if you are going planted that is? But very rewarding none the less good luck :)

YSS
11-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think you will need daily water changes with 7 or 8 3" discus in a 125G provided that you don't have too many other fish in the tank. I have grown 3" discus to a 6" plus fish in a community tank with many other fish and many other much larger discus feeding 3 or 4 times a day. Many may not agree, but I think your plan sounds fine to me.

Dennis The Mennis
11-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Kenny's new shipment. Now comes the hardest part, choosing and waiting.

Stag
11-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Dennis,

If you are having problem feeding as often as you would like go buy a auto feeder and throw some flake in there... Done!

Dennis The Mennis
11-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Hmmm, now there is something that didn't even cross my mind. I use to use one too. Any recommendations on higher quality/more reliable units?