PDA

View Full Version : HELP MY JUVIE is sick

Squishy
11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi guys,
im a total noob here and i need help, so this friend of mine had a small 4 month old juvie or so discus and he was going to get rid of it so i told him
i would take it...i waited about 3 months for the my tank to finsh cycling since i was planning to get some cichilds but then i saw this little guy and
i wanted him everything in the tank checks out great. But this little guy ive been giving him salt dips since he has flukes (cause one of his gills
was clamped and other moved normaly) and when i do give him the dip he swim normaly But my main concern is its been four days that ive had him
and he hasnt ate anything. The things i have noticed is that he has like a pinched tummy...the head looks fine still and tubby and also just yesterday
i noticed this white stringy white thingy wiggling out his nose hole...so i think he might have some kind of internal parasite What are some dewormers
i can use for the little guy if he doesnt even eat but seems to swim happily... the only store we have around here is petco so have you bought any fish dewormers there and which would you recommend?

TANK READINGS

TEMP: 86 F
PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 50ppm

ALSO its a bare bottom tank

alleykat0498
11-19-2011, 02:34 PM
It's nitrates, need some serious waterchanges.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

lipadj46
11-19-2011, 02:43 PM
fill out the questionnaire

Squishy
11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Got him four days ago, hasnt ate...his head is normal size but his stomach is empty, its been like this since i got him, yesterday i noticed some white thing coming out of his nose

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

clamped gills, and one cloudy eye, white stringy thing coming out of his nose, he had a tear on his back fin but its almost fully healed.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

when he had the clamped gill i gave him a salt dip

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gal, tank has been cycled for 3 months with 10 neon tetras

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

WC 40-50% 3-4 times weekly, bare bottom. i dont age water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __86

- ph _6.0

- ammonia reading __0

- nitrite reading __0

- nitrate reading _ 50

- well water _ no

- municipal water _ just treated tap

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

no

Squishy
11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I will need to check out petco for any meds since thats the only pet store in my area, unfortuneately >_>

lipadj46
11-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Try doing daily 75% water changes and see how he reacts. I don't think petco carries any "good" medicines any more, could be wrong though. Look for general cure by api as it is a mixture of prazi and metro.

Squishy
11-19-2011, 09:37 PM
went to petco and bought some med called Maracyn-Oxy and omg you could totally see that he had so much infection that little white spots he had are coming of, breathing is slower but not to slow...and color :O OMG so bright and vibrant ...i also got some other meds just in case ;) i apperciate all your help guys :)

Eddie
11-20-2011, 03:43 AM
Watch your ammonia and nitrites. How many discus do you have total? 10 neons in a 55 gallon won't cycle your filter after 3 months. The bacteria colony won't have enough of an ammonia source to start establishing.