PDA

View Full Version : Winter: Water Issue

cosmodude12
11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I usually use tap water for my WC. However, during winter time, it gets cold and the water pretty much dissolved with various gasses. One suggestion is to have a barrel and let the water sit for a day before doing the WC.

I do not have a space for a big barrel. Is there any other suggestion to reduce the dissolved gasses during WC? Its not only irritating for the fish, but me as well.

lipadj46
11-22-2011, 07:02 PM
well if you fill your tank with warm water (same as your tank, say 86F) the water holds less dissolved gases, also let it splash as it falls into your tank. That is about all I can think of.

ericatdallas
11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
This is less of an issue for adult fish, but like lipad said, you can let it splash a little and it will help. I think I've seen thread here (last winter) of releasing water with a sponge at the outlet (like running water through a fine poret).

Also, it might not matter as much depending on how much water you're changing. It's a bigger concern for those of us that do the massive daily WCs.

One thing I do is direct the water as a spray to hit a sponge filter which splits my water in multiple directions against the side of the tank. I'm not positive if this helps, but my observation is there are less microbubbles than when I just have a steady stream fill the tank.

Definitely don't let the outlet get submerged in the water, so always keep your hose/nozzle/whatever above the water.

Sean Buehrle
11-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I usually use tap water for my WC. However, during winter time, it gets cold and the water pretty much dissolved with various gasses. One suggestion is to have a barrel and let the water sit for a day before doing the WC.

I do not have a space for a big barrel. Is there any other suggestion to reduce the dissolved gasses during WC? Its not only irritating for the fish, but me as well.

A 55 gal barrel takes up a 2x2 space. :)
Get with the program

JJ :)

Vee
11-22-2011, 08:22 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83586-Micro-Bubbles&highlight=microbubbles