PDA

View Full Version : Transferring my discus to my new home- advice?

Adoublene
11-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone!
I am curious as to how I should move my fish. I am only moving an hour south of where I currently live, but I want to make sure that my discus are as safe and as calm as possible.
I have a 90 gallon planted aquarium with
5 young adult discus- including a proven pair :)
2 bolivian rams (now with babies)
7 cardinals
2 fiddler crabs
If you have any suggestions please share them with me!
Thank you,
Anne

Discus PB
11-23-2011, 01:49 AM
when I moved I just treated it like a 100% WC and hauled *** to the new place. they all came out fine. I just put my sponge filter in the a different bucket. Plus I had three extra buckets of water from my old tank to add into it. Not sure if that's a good way but it worked for me.

Skip
11-23-2011, 01:53 AM
get a 5g bucket from walmart for $2.40 each.. and put one adult in each bucket.. put the smaller ones in another.. when your done.. return to walmart.. :)

if you put more then 1 adult in a bucket.. they can tear each other up..

i lost some PE transporting them from Dallas this way.

Sean Buehrle
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
I would do it the same way with buckets. But I would first set up a temporary tank at the new place ,bare bottom. That way you can plop em right in it no waiting.
Then move the planted tank.

I would do a couple 100% water changes before putting them in there, you never know what's going to happen with a planted tank, could release some weird gasses when you get it back up and running.

Go buy a couple battery operated air pumps for the trip just in case.

I've seen the water in a bucket get depleted of oxygen pretty quick, before you know it a fish could be gasping for air at the surface.

Less stress means less chance your fish will get sick from a move.