PDA

View Full Version : Is Prazi soluble in boiling water?

lipadj46
11-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Quick question is prazi soluble in boiling water (like metro) or should I pick up a bottle of ethanol?

TURQ64
11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I use a small amt. of rum or vodka..I don't know it for a fact, but isn't boiling enuff heat for a chemical change??..I wouldn't think it good to subject drugs to high heat.JMO, no facts...

lipadj46
11-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I use a small amt. of rum or vodka..I don't know it for a fact, but isn't boiling enuff heat for a chemical change??..I wouldn't think it good to subject drugs to high heat.JMO, no facts...

My gut feeling is no there is not much if any chemical degradation from the hot water for say 30 seconds, but I did give it some thought and looked at the physical and chem properties. I'll probably just grab some ethanol from work to be on the safe side.

Keith Perkins
11-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm a friend (I think) of a vet that's a member here, he strongly recommends not attempting to dissolve medications in hot water. Sorry I didn't bother to ask questions beyond that, just took his advice and moved on.

lipadj46
11-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm sure that is probably good general advice, my step sister is a vet I'll ask her if there is anything specific. I'm not sure about prazi but I know metro is a fairly stable compound and stirring in hot water for 15-20 seconds is not going to do much.

Here is an article that shows prazi to be relatively heat stable also:

http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/hisham/Documents/SPJ/120406.pdf

jimg
11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
no reason to dissolve it will dissolve over a couple of days. dissolving makes it no more effective unless you use dmso

seanyuki
11-25-2011, 11:19 AM
DMSO=Dimethyl sulfide and better use gloves using this chemical.