PDA

View Full Version : Hatchet fish experiences

DiscusBR
11-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I know hatchet fishes are good tankmates for discus. I am considering adding them to my 80g tank with wild Cuipeuas, but I would like to know about people experiences with them. First, about their tendency to jump. My tank has a glass cover, but when I had them a long time ago they used to jump during water changes, often a headache. Second, some folks have reported here in the forum that they are fragile and often die. I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with them. Thanks in advance.

Discus Origins
11-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Mauro, they are jumpers and will always jump when frightened...during WC, feeding, sudden movement, etc. You will just have to keep an eye on them. As for being fragile, the marble are more so than silver hatchets. In my experience it's better to buy a group and keep them in a separate tank ie 20g tank and get them acclimated before putting in the show tank. I experienced usually 50% mortality rates with the marbles but the ones that made it thru the first few weeks did well.

YSS
11-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I had 20 marbles and they either jumped or died. No more hatchets for me.

DiscusBR
11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Mauro, they are jumpers and will always jump when frightened...during WC, feeding, sudden movement, etc. You will just have to keep an eye on them. As for being fragile, the marble are more so than silver hatchets. In my experience it's better to buy a group and keep them in a separate tank ie 20g tank and get them acclimated before putting in the show tank. I experienced usually 50% mortality rates with the marbles but the ones that made it thru the first few weeks did well.

Thank you, Mark. That is good info, more promising about the silver hatchets. I am considering getting some :)

I had 20 marbles and they either jumped or died. No more hatchets for me.

Sorry to hear that, YSS :) Really sounds that marbles are more difficult to keep.

Bill63SG
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Jumpers,mine ended up as cat toys.