PDA

View Full Version : Pump Project

Bud Smith
11-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I would like my thoughts to be confirmed on some plumbing changes to my tank

mag 3 or 5 external pump for removing water from my tank - I have a 3ft. head and 12 ft. to the drain line
I will use 1/2 inch pvc with 4 90 degree and 1 45 degree ftttings

mag 7 submersible pump for putting storage water back into the tank - I have a 10 ft. head and 15 ft. to the tank
I will use 1/2 inch pvc with 1 90 degree and 1 45 degree fittings

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated
Thank You

ericatdallas
11-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Sounds similar to what I'm doing. Although, if you haven't bought yet, I might suggest a faster pump if you're not patient... I use Maxijet 1200 for my put, so about 250gph... So for a 75% WC, it takes me about 15 minutes to drain the tank. Not terrible, but I sure wouldn't mind getting a pump that is rated for 500gph or higher (if your plumbing can handle it, I use 3/4-1" PVC from the tank and 1.5" PVC for my main drain pipe.

Bud Smith
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Eric - yes - I like to get water changes done as soon as possible and I will do 3/4 inch PVC on the mag 7

ericatdallas
11-26-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm seriously considering adding a second pump to drain the tank.

Bud Smith
11-26-2011, 06:50 AM
I have only a few ft. to pump water for draining so I wasn't to concerned about that but pumping storage water vertical 10ft. and another 15 ft. is what I was really trying to confirm. The mag 7 will do around 375 to 500 GPM but I might even go to the a mag 9.5 - 700 to 800 GPM. A second pump is a good idea not only for additional pumping but also for a back-up. Do you use a control valve in your line for clean water to control water flow? Are you using check valves?

ericatdallas
11-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I saw a 1200gph FLOTEC pump on eBay for $33. I can't access eBay (I'm at work right now) to give you the link. I almost bought it myself but decided that kind of draining my be kind of traumatic -- although 3-4 minutes to drain an entire tank would be pretty impressive).

It could work from the water storage barrel too, but I decided to use 2 small pumps (that way I have more control about dispensing water simultaneously instead of using plumbing to control my pumps, I can do it through switches (or eventually PC/remote).

Sean Buehrle
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
There's something you guys should think about when purchasing a pump for water changes.
A hose can only suck so much water before it collapses, so don't over do it.

Been there done that.

ericatdallas
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, good advice and I agree.

A 3/4" garden hose can handle over 1,000 gallons in short distances (for the few feet I think we're both talking about). Without doing the math (I did back of envelope calcs already when planning my system and I knew I had 'spare' throughput)... that's assuming I did my math right :P

Bud mentioned 1/2" PVC so not sure what the maximum "practical" flow rate would be for that. I'm thinking 600-1200 gph should be safe for short distances although if you're using hose, probably should use the "heavy duty" type just to be safe. I use washing machine hoses from my water supply for short distances. My logic behind that was those hoses are constantly under pressure and they seem to do pretty well with my washing machine. They're expensive though...

But yeah, 3000 gph pumps might be too much :)

Bud Smith
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Yea - I do not want to push the GPH to high -I think a 500 to 700 GPH should do the trick - what Iam going to do on storage water is put the storage tank in the basement and hard pipe up to a side room on the first floor and use a quick disconnect fitting to hook my hose to and then run my supply hose across the floor to my tank in the corner of the living room - I can't hard pipe to the aquarium because there is no access to come up through the floor at that point - when Iam done shut the pump off disconnect the hose - pump switch will be in the closet of the side room - I will like it and my wife will be happy

The drain water will be pumped from the corner of the aquarium with a external pump (behind the tank with a wall switch) through the wall to a downspout on the outside of the house (no plumbing exposed at the aquarium and piping outside will be consealed by the bushes along the house) the aquarium is in a corner of the living room by the fire place not close to any drains or water lines - sometimes you just have to improvise

Sean Buehrle
11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Yea - I do not want to push the GPH to high -I think a 500 to 700 GPH should do the trick - what Iam going to do on storage water is put the storage tank in the basement and hard pipe up to a side room on the first floor and use a quick disconnect fitting to hook my hose to and then run my supply hose across the floor to my tank in the corner of the living room - I can't hard pipe to the aquarium because there is no access to come up through the floor at that point - when Iam done shut the pump off disconnect the hose - pump switch will be in the closet of the side room - I will like it and my wife will be happy

The drain water will be pumped from the corner of the aquarium with a external pump (behind the tank with a wall switch) through the wall to a downspout on the outside of the house (no plumbing exposed at the aquarium and piping outside will be consealed by the bushes along the house) the aquarium is in a corner of the living room by the fire place not close to any drains or water lines - sometimes you just have to improvise

Have you ever thought of a simple syphon hose connected with quick connects the same way you talk about with your return water? You could have a large PVC shutoff down the basement to shut it off, always keeping the pipe full of water so you don't ever have to prime it.

Just quick connect the hose hang it in the tank walk down stairs and turn the valve, viola .

The suction from water dropping 10 feet would be tremendous.

No pump needed for emptying the tank.

The bad thing about quick connects is that they are bottle necked, restricting a lot of flow. so just using regular threaded male female connections would be a better option IMO .

Just a thought.

Bud Smith
11-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks Sean - good thought - I guess in the back of my mind I thought of the keeping the pipe full of water but had not considered on how to do it
yet - I get the qiuck disconnect - you are right there about flow restriction - I think a ball valve and a in-line check valve should work for keeping the line full of water