PDA

View Full Version : discus and shrimp

Orange Crush
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Do discus try to eat shrimp? I was thinking of getting some cherry shrimp and/or singapore flower shrimp and having them in the tank before I added the discus. I have both kinds of shrimp already and I would love to have them in all of my tanks (except the QT tank).

ericatdallas
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes they do

Skip
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes

nc0gnet0
12-04-2011, 07:59 PM
It is possible to keep the two together, but the first time the Discus see them, they will think "FOOD". So, you will loose a bunch trying to establish a colony. If you do manage to get one established hoever, eventually the discur will leave the alone, with the occasional snack on the youngest of the shrimp.

Rick

laborelch
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
In my experience, singapore shrimp and amano shrimp are fine (too big to fit into a discus mouth). Cherry shrimp work if your tank is densely planted to provide cover. Otherwise discus love to chase & eat them :-)

chrisb01
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I concur with laborelch.

gerrard00
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
It is possible to keep the two together, but the first time the Discus see them, they will think "FOOD". So, you will loose a bunch trying to establish a colony. If you do manage to get one established hoever, eventually the discur will leave the alone, with the occasional snack on the youngest of the shrimp.

Rick

+1

I have a dedicated 10 gallon shrimp tank to keep the population up. I move batches of 10 shrimp over to my planted discus tank when the shrimp tank population starts to get out of control. So far I have a few survivors in the planted tank who are hiding among my vals and swords, but most of the smaller shrimp appear to have been picked off. It's pretty funny seeing the discus try (and usually fail) to catch the much faster shrimp. The other day one of the shrimp landed on the head of the discus who was chasing him. It was like something out of an old Tom and Jerry cartoon.

chrisb01
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I have a dedicated 10 gallon shrimp tank to keep the population up. I move batches of 10 shrimp over to my planted discus tank when the shrimp tank population starts to get out of control. So far I have a few survivors in the planted tank who are hiding among my vals and swords, but most of the smaller shrimp appear to have been picked off.

Great idea.

It's pretty funny seeing the discus try (and usually fail) to catch the much faster shrimp. The other day one of the shrimp landed on the head of the discus who was chasing him. It was like something out of an old Tom and Jerry cartoon.

That is funny :-) Too bad you didn't get that on video, you could have probably made a buck or won a price from a TV show.

gerrard00
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
That is funny :-) Too bad you didn't get that on video, you could have probably made a buck or won a price from a TV show.

Believe me, I tried! I ran over to grab my camera, but by the time I got back the performance was over.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I had some cherries in with my discus for over 6 months; then when the discus got bigger, no more shrimp. Could of been the 84 degrees, but most likely, discus food.

Can be done, just have lots of plants and wood for hiding places.

DerekFF
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
They'll eat the smaller shrimp. A full grown cherry is to big for a discus to eat unless he's really hungry

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jankthetank
04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
wasted R200 on 10 red cherries to put in my discus tank and now........................no more shrimp

Skip
04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
oops

lipadj46
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
My 10 month old 6" discus love full grown red cherry shrimp. I drop culls in the discus tank and its on, they can definitely munch down on the full sized shrimp. If the shrimp does make it to cover the Black Ghost Knifefish uses his special powers to find and eat them in seconds.

tonytheboss1
04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Do discus try to eat shrimp?

:bandana: In nature yes. In captivity, it depends. Some smaller shrimp housed w/ sub-adult / adult discus are sure to go missing from time to time. It's a cichlid so whatever will fit in it's mouth is fair game. "T"

Orange Crush
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
:bandana: In nature yes. In captivity, it depends. Some smaller shrimp housed w/ sub-adult / adult discus are sure to go missing from time to time. It's a cichlid so whatever will fit in it's mouth is fair game. "T"
Thanks for the info but I started this thread 5 months ago (to the day:)) and no longer need the answer. I have amanos in my discus tank and the discus ignore them.