PDA

View Full Version : umm what do i do with this discus

down2earth
12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
in my tank there is a discus that has never fully extended his fins like the others. the top and bottom fin. he always hangs out in the back. never rushes up for food like the others. kinda boring. all the other fish are fun. just wondering why this one acts like this.

i put him in the QT tank at one point for a few hours. it has melafix and pimafix in it with some aquarium salt. i noticed one of the new fish also in the QT tank was growing fungus on its face. so i removed the discus so it doesnt get anything from the new fish. this was about a week or 2 ago. once i put him back in the main tank he was feeling better and fins fully extended.

should i put him back in the QT tank for a longer treatment or should i leave him alone in the main tank ?

what do you think ?

Skip
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
what were you treating with Melafix/Pimafix?!

or were you just "SHOTGUNNING" the problem.. and hoping that was the issue?

this needs to be moved to the Disease section.. and there you need to cut/paste the questionnaire.. so you can get help as soon as possible.. BUT

how many fish are in your tank? discus..

Larry Bugg
12-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I think the first thing you need to realize (unless I have read incorrectly) is that this is not a QT tank. You took a discus from the main tank and put it in the QT tank and then put it back in the main tank. Really defeats the purpose of a QT tank. Basically you have exposed all the discus in the main tank to whatever the fungus is on the new discus in the QT.

down2earth
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM
this isnt a new discus. i moved him from the main tank to the QT tank. the QT tank has 3 rams and 2 angels in it already. they got to my house about a week and a half ago. i put this discus is there as well. but then i saw one of the rams had a fungus on him. so i then treated the tank with melafix and pimafix. to get rid of what ever the new fish had. i moved the discus there to lower the number of fish in the main tank.

i have 7 discus total in the main tank. with 3 plecos.

TNT77
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
You put a discus in a QT that contained new fish. Then realised the new fish were affected with fungus. Then put the discus back into the main tank. You have just exposed your whole main tank to whatever is in the QT tank.

Skip
12-05-2011, 05:48 PM
won't methylene blue kill the fungus?!

cuz now he needs to treat the whole tank..

down2earth
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
the fish im talkin about has been like this since i had him. it isnt anything new.

what ever was in the tank from the new fish is now gone. the tanks are both doing well. and the new fish are fine. its been almost 2 weeks.

DLock3d
12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
You're missing the point, they're just letting you know that all the fish in both of your tanks have been exposed to whatever (if any) diseases or parasites that may be present. Moving the Discus of concern back and forth between the two tanks has shared any potential threats to both tanks. In the future, if you move a fish from your display tank to a QT tank only to later discover that you have concern about a tank mate. Don't move the fish back to the display tank, it's too late at that point. If it makes you feel better you could set up an additional QT tank but it doesnt sound like thats an option considering your initial move of that discus was to thin out the heard in your display tank.

Not a big deal, just remember in the future, even one drop of water from a problem tank can contaminate another.

down2earth
12-05-2011, 07:04 PM
ah ok got it. i asked about that in a post a while back and didnt get an answer so i ended up movin him anyhow.

down2earth
12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
i took the discus out of the tank and put him in the QT tank. he is all happy. fins extended out and swimming all over. lookin out the front of the tank for food id assume.

i think he just needed more space. 7 discus in a 60 gallon might be a few too many.

moon_knight1971
12-08-2011, 03:02 PM
7 in a 60 aint bad IF you're doing frequent water changes (daily or every other day). You'd be suprised how many problems get fixed just by doing frequent/regular water changes.

Joey!

down2earth
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
How many gallons should I be changing daily or how much every other day?

Skip
12-08-2011, 04:31 PM
How many gallons should I be changing daily or how much every other day?

50% or more... see how they react after 50% WC and then increase.. if they act funny or not happy.. then do a little less next time..

how big are they?

down2earth
12-08-2011, 05:11 PM
4 are about 4-5" the other 3 are smaller