PDA

View Full Version : info on age and feeding

Orange Crush
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Is there somewhere on the site that lists the approximate size a discus should be as it grows?

Also, how much/how often to feed them at each stage as well as how much/how frequent to do water changes?

At what size is a discus considered an "adult" (assuming it is not stunted).

Skip
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
its not size that makes an adult.. it is AGE..

a fry should develop about 1" per month for first 4 months.. then it will slow down alot for the next several months..

there are 4month old fish that are larger then some adults..

if you are growing out fry keep the bellys filled! several times a day.. and larger water change everyday.. IF you want the best growth..

BUT some strains are slower growers.. and you will have some fish that just won't grow.. genetics.. *breeders would probably CULL them*.. so always get the LARGEST FISH possible.. going cheaper and smaller is NOT the way to go.. IF you want the best growth.. if you want to see this in action.. then buy some small ones and watch growth over the next year..

Orange Crush
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Thats why I was asking. I have not bought any yet (next month since I will be going away for the holidays) but I wanted to buy adults. Of course 6" are super expensive so how big is an adult if I bought them from a reputable place like Kenny or Hans? I have never had discus and want to avoid buying discus that are juvies, I would feel bad if my inexperience caused them to be stunted.

Skip
12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
4" is a good size.. the STUNTED SLOW growers out of the batch are culled/gone by breeder. this way you get the top of the "fry class".. i got some for 4" this june from hans. and they are by far my best fish.. 1 is laggin behind.. but the others are going great.. 1 of them looks like a RED ROUND DINNER PLATE and is becoming my largest fish.. even over fish 1 yr older then it..

people think that if they buy 8 2" fish.. all 8 will be 7" plus fish.. that won't happen..
the the bottom fish of pecking order will always be smallest.. HENCE the pecking order :)

chiligum
12-06-2011, 04:29 AM
I was wondering at what size it was safe to buy Fish, knowing the worst ones had been weaned out, thanks!

Skip
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I was wondering at what size it was safe to buy Fish, knowing the worst ones had been weaned out, thanks!

buying adult size discus may cost more up front.. BUT in the long run (feeding, water changes etc).. it is probably cheaper!! and you get the best fish possible and you know what it will look like grown up.. cuz it is..

if you buy 10 2" fish.. 2 won't grow, 3 will grow like crazy and the other 5 will be in the middle somewhere.. so you really end up with only 4-5 that you are proud of and now you have 5 you need to get rid of somehow..

thats my story and i am sticking to it :)