PDA

View Full Version : discus really sick. please help asap

aagroves
12-08-2011, 09:15 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

my discus has looked likee it has had an eye problem for a while now. he had like an infection but then it looked like it was slowly going away so i didnt do anything about it. then of recently it has got worse, and this morning it has looked its worse so ive decided to get some help off here.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

the fish is acting pretty normal, it eats, but it does isolate its self from the other fish, and so does his partner. its eye is like hlaf cloudy and its like really big.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

i have tried no medications yet, but i will be giving them a fluke treatment, im just still figuring out how to use PP

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

6ft by 2 ft by 700 high, 7 discus, 2 clown loaches, 2 long fin catfish, 1 lonly tetra

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

i change 50-60% water every 2nd day by tank has been running for about 5 months now (really 6 but i didnt have fish in it then cuz i was gettign hte filter seeded)

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __28___

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading __0.25ppm__

- nitrite reading __oppm__

- nitrate reading _0ppm___

- well water __y?__

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

last fish that were added were the long fin cat fish about 1.5 months ao

i cant seem to upload pictures but i hope you can help me
thx

jimg
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I would first try salt at 1tbls per 10 gal for a couple/few days. does not matter what salt. you could try the pp first no reason to be afraid of it as long as you measure 1.5 grams per 1 liter water then 100ml of that into 20 gallons of tank water. no more no less. problem with pp it takes 3 tanks,4hrs, gram scales. I have treated many fish with hazy slime coat with the salt method with75% success, the issue I worry about here is the eye swelling, one eye could be from external, both eyes swelling could be internal and very hard to treat.
Look into your tank water parameter/quality a little more. should be cycled by now with some nitrates and 0 ammonia

aagroves
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
see i only have 2 tanks, one in my room which has 4 baby discus in it and then my main one which he is in. can i set up an air stone in a bucked and put him in there for like a 2hr bath or something and do that for a couple of days? i dont have another seeded filter that i could set up a tank for him.

i dont have any nitrates at all and the ammonia is low. i dont no how to make it lower

im in a bit of a pickle, but thank you for your help i do appreciate =]
alyce

TNT77
12-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Ammonia...plus no nitrates means an uncyled tank. Do you use prime?

aagroves
12-09-2011, 04:47 AM
when i first set the tank up the ammonia and nitrates did spike pretty high but then they went down, i do use seachem prime. i think my tank is cycled tho becuase i once had an uncycled tank and i lost some fish over it and my tank and my fish arnt acting when i had the uncycled tank.

is it abnormal to have no nitrates?

jimg
12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
when i first set the tank up the ammonia and nitrates did spike pretty high but then they went down, i do use seachem prime. i think my tank is cycled tho becuase i once had an uncycled tank and i lost some fish over it and my tank and my fish arnt acting when i had the uncycled tank.

is it abnormal to have no nitrates?not really impossible to have 0 nitrates. with tanks I do heavy wc' on there is most of the time no readable nitrates. check you tap for ammonia although if it is in your tap your bio should take it to 0 in a few hours if it is established well. whenever there is ammonia in a tank, unless you change 90% or more it will still be there in an uncycled tank.
as for the pp that is why sometimes I suggest salt over pp many people are not set up to do it and it is not instant cure all
4 hrs min many times I do 5-6 hrs. you can do a salt dip 7.5 tbls salt per gallon of water until fish rolls over and stays on it's side or 10 mins if it don't roll over, but I have had pretty good results just putting the 1 tbls per 10 in the tank.
I know I'm giving you a few choices that may be hard for you to decide, but I'm trying to accommodate what may work with what you may have the easiest way,myself I would do the 4 hr pp then into salt in the tank for up to 3 days, that is just my guess on what it may be. hope this helps

TURQ64
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Just as there are many ways to skin a cat (not really, but that's another story), there are a few ways to use PP. It's a primary tool in pond management, for instance. It can be used for long term in the water column..I prefer 12 hours, but that's just me...

aagroves
12-10-2011, 03:34 AM
ok then. well i will try the salt and if that dosent work ill try the PP thank you all so much for ur help =]