PDA

View Full Version : Now Im curious

NutMeg
12-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Ive seen people post pics of their discus looking for comments, and now I kinda want to do the same. Try not to be too harsh, but here's my set up and fishies.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

Stag
12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Some nice on your turqs. Your drift wood in kinda neat. They look a bit thin. Are those barbs in your tank? lol

YSS
12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Nice set up, but your fish do look thin. May be not feeding enough or parasite issues.

Keith Perkins
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
+1

moon_knight1971
12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Tank looks great but I agree with what others have posted. Curious as to how old they are and their size? Other than the 2nd fish, the blue turq, they seem more arrow head shaped than round but that could be because of their age.

Joey!

andyl9063
12-09-2011, 03:56 PM
those look like serpae tetras but yea, really thin

TNT77
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Those are serpae and lemon tetras I believe. Love the aquascaping. They do look thin. How long have you had them? When was the last time these fish were wormed? What is your feeding schedule? You would be amazed what a good worming and more frequent feedings can do to color and growth. :)

DLock3d
12-09-2011, 05:26 PM
+2 to all of the comments above, like the aquascape, lemon and sepera tetra, fish look thin

ShinShin
12-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Nutmeg -

Your discus are very thin. Those are Black Phantoms aren't they?

Mat

NutMeg
12-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Congrats to Mat for naming the Black Phantom tetras! :). Thanks for the comments everybody, and I do agree, they look a little thin. I guess I'm afraid of overfeeding and mucking up the tank quicker. The discus are only about a year old though. I do have 4 cory cats, and an assassin snail(?) hiding around in there somewhere. Lol. As for their feeding schedule, I have Discus Bio Gold, Tetra Cichlid Crisps, and frozen beef heart. I drop a good teaspoon of pellets at first, wait maybe an hour to make sure everyone scavenged the ground, then put another tsp in, wait, and repeat. A cube of beef heart (or Spirulina Brine Shrimp if I have any) every other day or so. I do the same portioning with the crisps too.
Good? Bad? More?

chiligum
12-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Your Blue at the back doesn't look too bad weight wise but the others need a good worming and lots more calories!

NutMeg
12-10-2011, 03:14 AM
if my fish had worms, wouldn't their poop be white? they have normal poop. How would I go about worming my guys?

vizkid2005
12-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Nice Drift wood ....

chiligum
12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
I can't tell you what to worm your Fish with because i don't have the same stuff here as what you have!

TURQ64
12-10-2011, 07:52 AM
if my fish had worms, wouldn't their poop be white? they have normal poop. How would I go about worming my guys?
use the search engine..There are many, many pages devoted to de-worming..try the sickness and disease section of the forum..

Keith Perkins
12-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Levamisol/Vermisol is a good product. Having a digital gram scale that measures to .01 grams is a great companion to have with it.

NutMeg
12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Congrats to Mat for naming the Black Phantom tetras! :). Thanks for the comments everybody, and I do agree, they look a little thin. I guess I'm afraid of overfeeding and mucking up the tank quicker. The discus are only about a year old though. I do have 4 cory cats, and an assassin snail(?) hiding around in there somewhere. Lol. As for their feeding schedule, I have Discus Bio Gold, Tetra Cichlid Crisps, and frozen beef heart. I drop a good teaspoon of pellets at first, wait maybe an hour to make sure everyone scavenged the ground, then put another tsp in, wait, and repeat. A cube of beef heart (or Spirulina Brine Shrimp if I have any) every other day or so. I do the same portioning with the crisps too.
Good? Bad? More?

Any comments about the food? Good or bad? Thanks

lipadj46
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
It does not sound like you are underfeeding them but at a year old you should have some nice big beefy near adults so something is up. I'm no expert but even I noticed they looked thin. If you don't want to buy bulk meds try picking up some general cure from petsmart and treat them something is definitely up.

Keith Perkins
12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Any comments about the food? Good or bad? Thanks

I've read through your post a couple of times and I'm not clear on how often you're feeding. With that age fish and my work schedule I'd be feeding early morning, when I got home from work around 5, and again about 9. I'd also encourage my wife to give them a lunch snack if she thought of it. Discus will do a lot of growing the first year or so if you let them.

NutMeg
12-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I like your feeding schedule around your work schedule, that's what I tried to do when I was working. Now, it's just 3-5 times throughout the day. How do you feel about Spirulina Brine Shrimp? I like to alternate that with the Beefheart to promote good digestion :).

Skip
12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I like your feeding schedule around your work schedule, that's what I tried to do when I was working. Now, it's just 3-5 times throughout the day. How do you feel about Spirulina Brine Shrimp? I like to alternate that with the Beefheart to promote good digestion :).

i feed with that.. but also use PRIME REEF, FORMULA 2, Tetrabits and frozen black worms :) plus live brine and for first time in a couple of months.. live black worms for one feeding