PDA

View Full Version : Anyone kept a L190 with discus?

Maria Ashton
12-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I love the look of the L190 but not sure if its a good idea with discus, from what I have been reading its alright with larger peaceful fish but can be territorial. Wondered if anyone has kept the two together?

Altum Nut
12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey Maria,

I've never kept a Royal Pleco but are quite nice. It will be a good addition to you planted tank because they hide alot. However being that they like their veggies and wood, i'm not sure they will be good mates with Discus. Will not hurt your Discus but will not favor a Discus diet. L190 can be picky eaters to start with and as they grow can disrupt your tanks furniture.

Good luck and hope someone here can chime in with first hand experience.

...Ralph

TNT77
12-09-2011, 09:09 PM
I just got rid of one at 5". Only because it put out so much poop that I couldn't keep up with it. I was a really easy keeper though, didn't bother the discus at all. In fact I have a 2" one in my ray/discus tank atm.

chiligum
12-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Hi Maria, i sent you a message on DPH...L190's are no trouble apart from the size they get (takes quite awhile) and the amount of poop...They need wood in their diet to help aid digestion and when you move your wood to clean under, you will find poop, sawdust, oh yeah, and more poop!

chiligum
12-10-2011, 03:17 AM
I just got rid of one at 5". Only because it put out so much poop that I couldn't keep up with it. I was a really easy keeper though, didn't bother the discus at all. In fact I have a 2" one in my ray/discus tank atm.It's a pity they don't only grow to 2" as they are lovely looking Fish and as for the poop, imagine when they get to 10" plus, it would be a full time job just cleaning!

chrisb01
12-10-2011, 03:26 AM
I have two Rhino Plecos with my Angelfish, and boy, that is a lot of poop. But you should have no problems, just keep up with your water changes. Use Prime or AmQuel Plus as preventive against ammonia.

I'm a Pleco nut as well, don't have any Royals though, but I do like them.

chiligum
12-10-2011, 03:53 AM
The Rhino is one of my favourites, not greatly coloured or anything but still one of my best looking Plecs ever!

chrisb01
12-10-2011, 05:06 AM
The Rhino is one of my favourites, not greatly coloured or anything but still one of my best looking Plecs ever!

Sorry to get off the OPs subject, just want to interject: Yes, the Rhino is my favorite as well, the leathery brown in different shade patches is what makes it a very handsome Pleco. My biggest one is over ten inches long, and more than three inches wide, not including the Pectoral fins. I feed them a whole Zucchini about two times a week, besides pellets and waffles.

Maria Ashton
12-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I regularly hoover with each water change anyway but I am finding it a nightmare even though my tank isnt that heavily planted. I have 10 plecos in my other community tank and I think its too much as they do produce a lot of waste, they vary in size from 2 inches to 6, I have leopard, tiger and a few which I have yet to identify including a black one with very distinct yellow spots and something that looks like it might be a rhino.

In my discus tank I have a small starlight bristlenose and two albino somethings which are also tiny, I have read that the royal can be territorial and fight with other plecos? I do have wood in my discus tank, the discus keep laying eggs on one piece and I believe the plecos eat the eggs so the discus never get very far.

chiligum
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Maria, the Royal Plec is no more territorial towards other Plecs really than most (not all) others...They all like to have their own piece of wood etc and soon scoot off after another Plec that starts nibbling on it, it's all down to the size of the footprint of the tank and it's layout that decides whether there is going to be war or peace in the tank!...I personally only ever have 1 Plec in a tank anyway.

Maria Ashton
12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks Mark, I think its time to re-home quite a few plecos then.

chiligum
12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Now if i was going to have a new Plec, it would be the L200, Phantom!

TNT77
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Now if i was going to have a new Plec, it would be the L200, Phantom!
They are good plecs. But I'd rather have a zebra. Hint...hint Chris. ;)

chiligum
12-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Phantom any day over the Zebra, a lot cheaper and out and about a lot in the tank instead of hiding all day...JMO!

TNT77
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
It's the times when you see the zebra that make them worth it. :)

chrisb01
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
It's the times when you see the zebra that make them worth it. :)

Right, you don't see them often, but boy are they pretty when you do see them. They are a conversational piece for sure.

chiligum
12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't be able to see the Zebra even when it was out...My eyes would still be full of tears from having to hand over all that money to buy it in the 1st place! ;)

chrisb01
12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
There are some inexpensive Plecos. BNs are among my favorites, and there are others. It's a matter of personal preference.

However, the way I think of money, and I don't have a lot believe me, is to buy the things that bring us joy and entertainment. I could have a bank tilting on the side with a lot of cash, and sit at home bored to death.