PDA

View Full Version : Changing substrate in an established Discus tank.

LiquidBlue
12-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I hadn't seen much on the internet for changing the substrate of Discus fish in an already existing aquarium, so I thought I would share my experience with you guys.

I just got done changing my substrate, and the fish were in the tank when I did it.

Here are the steps I went through in doing this.

Items needed:
1. Very clean trash can
2. Piece of plexi-glass or acrylic that is the same width and height as your aquarium.

Procedure:

Take out all driftwood and plants
Place driftwood into trash can, and plants in a smaller container (both full of TANK WATER)
Turn off filters
Put your plexi-glass/acrylic in the tank, splitting it into halves: one side with nothing but existing substrate, and the other with all of your fish
Turn the lights off on the side that the fish are on, and leave the other side on (if you have more than 1 light)
Using a rectangular net, scoop up the existing substrate (do this very slowly to reduce the amount of toxins released)
Use a siphon without the big part (an empty hose) to get remaining substrate
Thoroughly rinse new substrate
Using cups, lower the substrate into the aquarium slowly to prevent cloudyness
Spread out the substrate to suit your needs
Remove divider
Place driftwood and plants back into aquarium
Refill your aquarium with water

Turn filters back on

Wait a couple of days after doing this, and repeat with the other side so your biological bacteria can build up in the new substrate, and you aren't left with a blank slate.

Skip
12-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I think filters contain,more benef. Bacteria.. And substrate causes more prolems then benefit it migjht provide

Skip
12-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Ps.. Welcometo SD

i pulled my fish out in 5 g buckets and put them in there.. emptied out the tank..pulled out stustrate.. but the fish back in tank with old water and then filled it up again with clean water.. just like a water change :)

NutMeg
12-10-2011, 02:17 AM
I've thought about removing my substrate and replacing it with just a thin layer of white sand.
I forgot about the net idea. I was just scheming about using the python and sucking up the substrate that way. Moving the drift wood and plants into separate containers, and with that large clean garbage can you mentioned I could just siphon the substrate into that. Remove the water when it gets full, and repeat. I could replace the water back into the tank too? And most of all, the discus just mind their own business as if I were doing a water change. But, won't that cause a lot of stress and possible damage the plants? I'm horrible at handling plants. :(
I don't know, I'm just rambling random thoughts now. :)

nikond70s
12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
ur way sounds messy and lil more work. my way was easier and a lot cleaner.
heres what i did.

i brought in my garden hose from my backyard. make sure the hose is kinda big. and i used the hose as a suction. and i slowly pick up my old substrates with the hose sucking it up. its basically a waterchange but at the same time im sucking out the old substrates. then wait a few days. then repeat till all the old substrate is gone. then i just add my new substrate into the tank. super easy and clean. no need to take out the fish or anything. using a net to get the substrate really makes the water dirty. took me a week to take out all my old substrate from my 135gallon tank. my old substrate was black flourite.

LiquidBlue
12-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I've thought about removing my substrate and replacing it with just a thin layer of white sand.
I forgot about the net idea. I was just scheming about using the python and sucking up the substrate that way. Moving the drift wood and plants into separate containers, and with that large clean garbage can you mentioned I could just siphon the substrate into that. Remove the water when it gets full, and repeat. I could replace the water back into the tank too? And most of all, the discus just mind their own business as if I were doing a water change. But, won't that cause a lot of stress and possible damage the plants? I'm horrible at handling plants. :(
I don't know, I'm just rambling random thoughts now. :)

I don't believe that it will cause damage to plants if you work efficiently (but don't rush it) and put the plants into tank water with a possible heater in the container.
If you use the net, you won't need to replace the water you siphoned out, because the net will get the bulk of it. Just put new water in as if you were doing a water change.

LiquidBlue
12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
ur way sounds messy and lil more work. my way was easier and a lot cleaner.
heres what i did.

i brought in my garden hose from my backyard. make sure the hose is kinda big. and i used the hose as a suction. and i slowly pick up my old substrates with the hose sucking it up. its basically a waterchange but at the same time im sucking out the old substrates. then wait a few days. then repeat till all the old substrate is gone. then i just add my new substrate into the tank. super easy and clean. no need to take out the fish or anything. using a net to get the substrate really makes the water dirty. took me a week to take out all my old substrate from my 135gallon tank. my old substrate was black flourite.

My way would be really messy if you didn't have the acrylic/glass divider in the tank.
I just got done doing the other half, and nothing got to the other side of the tank as far as cloudiness goes.

You just have to have a cut on the glass/acrylic that fits snug in your aquarium.