PDA

View Full Version : Fake plants

Dennis The Mennis
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I've seen some really nice looking fake plants. I think they're silk plants, but I'm not sure. I can't find them anywhere. All I seem to find a the cheesy looking (just my opinion) plastic kind.
Where is the best place to find nice looking fake plants for my tank?

afriend
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I've seen some really nice looking fake plants. I think they're silk plants, but I'm not sure. I can't find them anywhere. All I seem to find a the cheesy looking (just my opinion) plastic kind.
Where is the best place to find nice looking fake plants for my tank?

Just Google "silk plants for aquariums".

Once you get them, they should be cleaned occasionally (every couple of months depending on what you feed your fish and how fast the algae grows.) Silk plants look much better than the plastic ones, but they are much more fragile, especially when cleaning them. Try using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (3%) and warm water (1 quart of hydrogen peroxide to 1.5 gallons of water). Let them soak overnight in a container and then rinse them with a sink sprayer the next day. The algae rinses off the silk plants easily and they are ready to place back in the aquarium. This method is completely safe for your fish as hydrogen peroxide used in this way is non-toxic. You can purchase the hydrogen peroxide at Walmart in the pharmacy section for about $1 per quart. Hope this helps.

Paul

Skip
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
my buddy got silk plants from HOBBY LOBBY/Micheal's type store..

afriend
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
my buddy got silk plants from HOBBY LOBBY/Micheal's type store..

That's a good suggestion Warlock. Might have to modify them to keem them from floating, but they are probably alot cheaper. I'll try this next time I need some new silk plants.

moon_knight1971
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I always worry about stuff from hobby stores because they could have chemicals that could be potentially hazardous to the fish.

Joey!

Skip
12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
idk joey.. he has had them in his tank over a year.. mcishaq is the handle.. AFRIEND, if you want to PM him

moon_knight1971
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
much appreciated senior skip!

Joey!

shoveltrash
12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I surprisingly found a NICE plastic plant at Petsmart! bamboo type - here's a pic:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/shoveltrash/Bonnie and Clyde/100_2160.jpg
not a great photo, kinda hard to *see* the plant. but when I bought it, it was HUGE! I trimmed it (was almost 5ft long & thick). perfect for my tall tank.....I love it.
good luck!

ps - I like the HobbyLobby idea! :)

moon_knight1971
12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
They look great! LOVE your tank!

Joey!

chiligum
12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
I don't like things everywhere in my tank apart from the fish but that's just me...If i was to have fake plants though,the silk is the way to go, a lot of them are very lifelike now.

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
My wife bought a ton of the fake flowers ones from the hobby store to make bows and stuff... I was actually thinking of using the discarded leaves to make cover for my pleco caves.

Michaels has coupons all the time online, newspaper, and in the entertainment book for buy one get 50% off. They also sell these pretty cheap and have sales.

shoveltrash
12-15-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't like things everywhere in my tank apart from the fish but that's just me.I found it necessary, giving some 'hiding places' when chasing goes on. my tank settled a LOT after adding the big plant!

still, in the back of mind, is the worry that a 'fake silk plant' from Hobbylobby or Michaels would leach toxins......if it isn't made for aquarium use.