PDA

View Full Version : Filtration question

Army.Veteran
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Hello,
I am wandering what type of filtration do you all use? I currently have a 150g that I can go with either canister or wet dry, I wanted to do both but do not have the room in the stand. Which you'll be better? Also what is the reasoning for the large amounts of waterchanges. 50% a day?
Thanks for the advise in advance,
Michael

phinkin
12-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Canisters are quiet. They are a pain to maintain. You can feed floating foods and they won't float into the overflow and increase bioload. They don't aerate the water as effectively as wet/dry.

With a wet/dry pre-filter media can be changed regularly without shutting down the filter. It is really good at aerating the water. (That could be a drawback If you use co2.) Floating foods are not a good feeding option. I put my heaters, blackwater media, and co2 into the sump. Not in the aquarium. Overflows can be loud unless you put some silencers on them.

Jim

lipadj46
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Sumps are great but for a 150g you could get an FX5 off of amazon and call it good

John_Nicholson
12-14-2011, 04:09 PM
All I use are sponge filters.

-john

Moon
12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Sponge filters in all of my 20 tanks

Chicago Discus
12-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a wet dry in my 120 I would also recommend getting a sock to catch everything going down to your sump. As far as feeding flakes or floating food you can get food rings with a suction and place it to the side of the tank to stop the food from getting into your sump. As far as water changes it depends how big of discus you get. If they are 3.5" to 4" you don't need to do water changes everyday maybe three times a week. Start off with smaller water changes then you can increase as time goes on. The wet dry method is great for adding meds or supplements. Thanks hope this helps. ...........Josie

TURQ64
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I recommend a fluidized bed media instead of wet/dry...like summer, you don't need socks!..

Chicago Discus
12-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I recommend a fluidized bed media instead of wet/dry...like summer, you don't need socks!..
That's right you don't need socks it's just my opinion not the RULE I use the socks because it works for me but yes it's true you don't need socks.

Chicago Discus
12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Most of my tanks just have sponge filters my 120 has a sump with sock!!!