PDA

View Full Version : White translucent wormlike poop

danyal2
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

During the season change, the temperature of the tank dropped down to 80 from its usual 84. Two discus have long white poop, almost worm like. One is doing occasional head standing.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Two discus have long white poop, almost worm like. Clamped fins, possible gill flukes?

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Metro flake from angelsplus. Added additional heater to bring temp back up, so far no change, been 36 hours. Added 1TB per 5g epsom salt to try to get them to pass whatever it is.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

100g, 6 discus, corys, tetras, plecos etc

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50 weekly, bare bottom.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84_

- ph _7.2__

- ammonia reading __0_

- nitrite reading _10ppm__

- nitrate reading _0__

- well water ____

- municipal water _X__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

None

I'm thinking a nice dose of prazi will help, any input is appreciated!

lipadj46
12-14-2011, 06:31 PM
start with large daily water changes

Skip
12-14-2011, 06:49 PM
have you wormed them before?!

you would need a med for round worms (levamisol).. prazi is for tape worms.. but its a good start..

TURQ64
12-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd consider setting up a tank that's smaller for a few rounds of de-worming..With what I can see(crappy eyes), I'd start with a round of API General Cure..Then I'd give a look, and decide if a series of treatments for roundworms is necessary..(probably)..JMO..Gary

danyal2
12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
have you wormed them before?!

you would need a med for round worms (levamisol).. prazi is for tape worms.. but its a good start..

I've wormed with prazi years ago I'm isolating them now add they are the only ones with the symptoms, I'm looking into getting levamisol.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

lipadj46
12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
foys pigeon supply has vermisol for $15, a sponsor on here does also (IGO I believe)

jimg
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
metro flake for 36 hrs is not long enough to do anything especially at 82 deg, I would think flagellates and would up temp to 88+ get metro powder 1/4 tsp per 20 in addition to the flakes if their eating. could have been brought on by stress due to nitrites which should be 0 so before you raise temp get nitrites to 0

lipadj46
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I am assuming the nitrites was a typo and he meant 10ppm nitrate. 10ppm nitrites would kill everything in the tank.

jimg
12-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I am assuming the nitrites was a typo and he meant 10ppm nitrate. 10ppm nitrites would kill everything in the tank.I hope so that could complicate things

danyal2
12-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I am assuming the nitrites was a typo and he meant 10ppm nitrate. 10ppm nitrites would kill everything in the tank.

Yes, typo sorry about that.