PDA

View Full Version : New (old)Discus owners

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone, this goes out to people new to this Forum like myself. Just remember when you post something on this forum and you are new (some not all) here you will instantly be bombarded with negative reaction to your idea. Now that don't mean your idea was bad it means that The Clicks on this forum don't like it. Remember this hobby(and all hobbies) is a learning experience and when you stop learning and exploring your hobby its takes the fun out of it. So when you get matter of fact responses from my fellow members remember sometimes people need to respond that way to boost there own egos. Dont take offense to any reactions or take any of this personally enjoy the discus world and keep exploring nothings written in stone I learn from everyone new and old to this hobby. thanks ..................Josie

moon_knight1971
12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Agree. I'm old school and folks today are very emo and I feel like saying, "Grow a pair!" lol Also, technology being what it is the art of personal communication is a dying trait.

Joey!

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Agree. I'm old school and folks today are very emo and I feel like saying, "Grow a pair!" lol Also, technology being what it is the art of personal communication is a dying trait.

Joey! Thanks Joey I just had to say this I keep reading these post from new people and they don't feel welcome they just get attacked for there thoughts.

TURQ64
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Ah, and agreeing to disagree, I think there are many aspects to life, and to Discus keeping that in fact, are etched in stone..This is where knowledge eventually takes you when put in common practice...My rant...
'Clic's'
The old saying goes that the only thing wrong with clic's is not being in one...That said, this is my 'version'..
I'm a third generation, retired Structural Steel Erector.Most everyone here knows that from my generally gruff attitude.. 120 years ago, my family predecessor's were busting pick-axe handles over heads to get a 40 hr. work week, children out of factories, and the basic premise that money isn't just compensation for time served..Big concepts...Lotsa squabbles, riots, and collateral damage..But industrial America came of age...Then, along came 'the millenia', and new thinking everywhere..To hell with old school, new idea's, free thinking for everyone, even those that can't wipe their own noses (the nicer version!)..Now we are in the tubes..
What's this got to do with Discus??..perhaps nothing...
What's it got to do with 'clic's...EVERYTHING!
and, like it or not, this seems to be a haven or 'Discus Clic'....
Disclaimer: This is all purely my own personal view. I ask none to subscribe to it, nor care either way....It's still 'all about the fish'...Gary

jarret8x
12-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Ah, and agreeing to disagree, I think there are many aspects to life, and to Discus keeping that in fact, are etched in stone..This is where knowledge eventually takes you when put in common practice...My rant...
'Clic's'
The old saying goes that the only thing wrong with clic's is not being in one...That said, this is my 'version'..
I'm a third generation, retired Structural Steel Erector.Most everyone here knows that from my generally gruff attitude.. 120 years ago, my family predecessor's were busting pick-axe handles over heads to get a 40 hr. work week, children out of factories, and the basic premise that money isn't just compensation for time served..Big concepts...Lotsa squabbles, riots, and collateral damage..But industrial America came of age...Then, along came 'the millenia', and new thinking everywhere..To hell with old school, new idea's, free thinking for everyone, even those that can't wipe their own noses (the nicer version!)..Now we are in the tubes..
What's this got to do with Discus??..perhaps nothing...
What's it got to do with 'clic's...EVERYTHING!
and, like it or not, this seems to be a haven or 'Discus Clic'....
Disclaimer: This is all purely my own personal view. I ask none to subscribe to it, nor care either way....It's still 'all about the fish'...Gary

Well said gary. And one thing everyone disagrees on is bb vs planted. I had sand and driftwood in my tank to start now its bb and I'm never going back. My discus seem much healthier and less stressed due to the fact the tank is clean.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Skip
12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone, this goes out to people new to this Forum like myself. Just remember when you post something on this forum and you are new (some not all) here you will instantly be bombarded with negative reaction to your idea. Now that don't mean your idea was bad it means that The Clicks on this forum don't like it. Remember this hobby(and all hobbies) is a learning experience and when you stop learning and exploring your hobby its takes the fun out of it. So when you get matter of fact responses from my fellow members remember sometimes people need to respond that way to boost there own egos. Dont take offense to any reactions or take any of this personally enjoy the discus world and keep exploring nothings written in stone I learn from everyone new and old to this hobby. thanks ..................Josie

now josie.. why would you post this?! the HANS thread about your fish is already all ironed out.. everybody is cool.. however, you can post this.. but this probably is posted in the wrong area.. You Talking to Me? is the place for this.. not in the Beginning Discus Section..

also your BH recipe from Hans.. THANK YOU!
but that should have been put in the Food and Nutrition thread :)

i personally like Eddie seafood mix *i need to make more :(

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Well said gary. And one thing everyone disagrees on is bb vs planted. I had sand and driftwood in my tank to start now its bb and I'm never going back. My discus seem much healthier and less stressed due to the fact the tank is clean.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk I don't even have a planted tank the point is when new people come here and express their ideas don't attack them just explain from your experience how it worked for you. this is really not about me I have some pretty thick skin and really don't take things to personally. Im just trying to say if you have information that might help someone don't act they are dumb for asking or having that idea. thats just toxic and leaves people with a bad taste about discus people. believe me I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have learned in my 40+ years on this planet not to attack people that don't have the same view points that you do. thats just ugly ..............

Harriett
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Josie,
I glad you put this thread together. I have been here a long time, whether in the middle of the business or more sidelined by necssity. I have watched every sort of cultural phenom roll through here, both positive and negative, over the years. I must say that when I read a question posed by a newcomer who may or may not also be a newbie and they get slammed by a forum member with an agenda or an ego issue or attitude, it absolutely makes me cringe. One of the reasons I have stuck around IS because SD is foundationally a gathering place to exchange ideas and to help one another develop and mature in their personal hobby, however and whatever it is for them. It is a place to ask for help and a place for those long in the hobby or profession, to offer education and assistance.
Because discus keeping is a unique hobby, it attracts a wide range of personalities from straight forward down to earth sane, to short school bus special.....a modicum of respect and compassion go a long way towards making people feel at home here and vulnerable enough to ask what they need to know. I am aware that the more advanced among us get tired of answering the classic newbie questions a hundred times, so let someone else answer or suggest an archive or stickie search; for the empassioned who practice the 'my way or the highway [i.e. or you are an idiot]', how about you stand down and let's keep it positive and give folks a change to learn and feel some kinship? Some folks take things said here REAL SERIOUSLY.
Best regards to all,
Harriett

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Josie,

I believe that you are speaking of forum ETIQUETTE. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a distinct difference between the screen name and the person behind it. It's simple to just type away assuming a certain amount of anonymity. Have the same discussion in person and in most cases the discussion will proceed very differently. The internet can be as dangerous as it is informative for this very reason. When inhibition (a mental state in which the expression and behaviour of an individual become restricted) is lost due to the protection of anonymity some have very limited control of what they say to others, especially people they do not know.

Forum etiquette means maintaining a standard of posting behavior that is acceptable and appropriate. This is somewhat subjective and some members have difficulty interpreting what is acceptable and appropriate. It's OK to have fun, but when it gets to the point of being offensive, mean or just downright unnecessary, then that's when a line can be drawn and there are things that you can do about it.

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

What if I see something offensive?

You will find 'Report' links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything which you find to be offensive, objectionable or illegal.

GOLDEN RULE:

Treat others as you would like to be treated. Behaving as a reasonable adult is always the best course of action. If a poster becomes harassing, obscene or personal, do not retaliate. Instead, cut and paste the offensive post(s) into an e-mail/PM or Report Post and report it to the moderator or forum administrator. You can also privately message the poster that you have taken up issue with and have an offline discussion about the situation.

I hope this helps you and other new (old) readers. :D

If I am way off track, I apologize.

Have a great day!

Josie,
I glad you put this thread together. I have been here a long time, whether in the middle of the business or more sidelined by necssity. I have watched every sort of cultural phenom roll through here, both positive and negative, over the years. I must say that when I read a question posed by a newcomer who may or may not also be a newbie and they get slammed by a forum member with an agenda or an ego issue or attitude, it absolutely makes me cringe. One of the reasons I have stuck around IS because SD is foundationally a gathering place to exchange ideas and to help one another develop and mature in their personal hobby, however and whatever it is for them. It is a place to ask for help and a place for those long in the hobby or profession, to offer education and assistance.
Because discus keeping is a unique hobby, it attracts a wide range of personalities from straight forward down to earth sane, to short school bus special.....a modicum of respect and compassion go a long way towards making people feel at home here and vulnerable enough to ask what they need to know. I am aware that the more advanced among us get tired of answering the classic newbie questions a hundred times, so let someone else answer or suggest an archive or stickie search; for the empassioned who practice the 'my way or the highway [i.e. or you are an idiot]', how about you stand down and let's keep it positive and give folks a change to learn and feel some kinship? Some folks take things said here REAL SERIOUSLY.
Best regards to all,
Harriett

Harriett,

Well said! :D

YSS
12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Understand the sentiment. This is what I subscribe when I am on an internet forum (SD included) or internet in general. As a matter of fact, life in general. There are a lot of good advises and ideas out there, but there are a lot more bad ones. Use your judgement wisely when deciding which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
WHATEVER!!! SD TROLL:)

http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/life-of-internet-troll1.jpg

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree with a lot of the above in varying degrees depending on the point.

I'll leave it at this... but I think a few things to point out.

1) There's a difference between asking "What do you think..." and "I've decided to do <insert intention>, what is the best way to accommplish it." and "What do you do?"

2) Sometimes people WRITE things poorly and sometimes people READ things poorly. Sometimes, it helps to re-read a post to make sure you aren't missing the finer points and sometimes you should proof-read. I can think of MANY times where I write something and think, "Dang, that sounds rude." and had to chop out a lot. I can think of twice in the past month where someone thought I was being rude but then re-read it and they said, "oops, sorry." The worst is when something is poorly written and poorly read.

3) I think one point everyone is missing. Whether the "stuck-in-their-ways" hobbyist is being 'mean' or 'egomaniacal', the advice is pretty well accepted. So what you say? This should tell you that they're giving you in their experience the formula to success. They shouldn't be calling you names, but at the heart of their antagonism is the desire for you to succeed. Whether their social skills are lacking is beside the point. I don't believe you should be rude, but I also don't think you should be coddling people either.

4) Related to #3, just b/c someone says this is the 'best' way doesn't mean they aren't exploring or open to new ideas. The case is, in some of the newbie questions, time-and-time again, someone claims they will do it different but their formula is the EXACT same 'new' method that has failed for years. If you're new to something, you have to learn the previous ways of doing it before tweaking it and doing it a new way. If you read back in the archives, you can see the evolution of advice. That's ten years where people have changed their philosophy on how things need to be done. That's a blink of the eye.

5) Finally, do what you want with your fish, your time, your money. I find it even more enjoyable to do things different, succeed, and brag about my success. Unfortunately, my planted discus aquarium I was sure would 'succeed' failed miserably as everyone here predicted. Yup, I was sure that I had the time, the resources, and the brainpower to figure out anything and everythign that came at me. I was so wrong. HOWEVER, I'm still convinced I am going to try it again, but this is after being armed with more experience about how things are done now and havnig seen the differences. You have to understand the method you are trying to replace if you want to compare and do it better.

DLock3d
12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
HOWEVER, I'm still convinced I am going to try it again, but this is after being armed with more experience about how things are done now and havnig seen the differences. You have to understand the method you are trying to replace if you want to compare and do it better.

Ask Chad, he did it with contest fish and was very successful.

judy
12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't even have a planted tank the point is when new people come here and express their ideas don't attack them just explain from your experience how it worked for you. this is really not about me I have some pretty thick skin and really don't take things to personally. Im just trying to say if you have information that might help someone don't act they are dumb for asking or having that idea. thats just toxic and leaves people with a bad taste about discus people. believe me I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have learned in my 40+ years on this planet not to attack people that don't have the same view points that you do. thats just ugly ..............

I am guessing this is about that thread from Orangecrush re planted or BB. I think what can happen quite easily is that the newbie poses the questions in a way that indicates they may well have decided, on the basis of cursory research, to try something other members have found from experience just won't work well, if at all. I'm not saying this is how Orangecrush posed his question; I am saying that is how it often happens. It's as likely the the newbie may take affront to straightforward, honest replies that conflict with his previous opinion, as it is that the more experienced discuskeepers are being testy.
This forum ranks among the most mellow I have seen anywhere. It is moderated with a very light hand. And almost all the members do their best not to be rude. Those who may sometimes appear rude may just be tired of seeing the same question pop up for the hundredth time, when there are any number of pre-existing threads on exactly the same subject, and it gets tiresome repeating the same answers over and over because the newbie has not done a simple search on the forum for answers before raising the old topic yet again.
It is just as toxic (or more toxic, to the fish, anyway) to expect a series of smiley-face style answers affirming a misconception and bolstering the inexperienced poster's misguided impressions, usually based on initial or cursory research the newbie may think was extensive, but which has not been (or they wouldn't be coming to the erroneous conclusion).
I have learned in my 60+ years on this planet that honesty works, and that viewpoints are not the same thing as facts. I do find that younger generations (and I know this sounds codger-ish) are used to being spoonfed with knowledge and can get quite annoyed when they are expected to make independent efforts on their own, or when they are told they're not right about something. More than anything on this forum, I hope for-- and almost always receive-- honesty and solid factual information that has helped me greatly. If that information is packaged bluntly as opposed to being overlaid with soothing huggy noises, well, people have different personalities. That's what the real world is like, too.
By the way: it's cliques, not clicks or clics.

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
http://danceswithfat.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/newbie-2.gif

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/SveedishFeesh/newbie.jpg

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
http://ksha3ya.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/newbie.jpg

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
http://oneseasonnation.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2009/03/newbie.gif

Skip
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/bmcdona2008/Newbie.jpg

Chad Hughes
Skip,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You're not a troll! :D

WHATEVER!!! SD TROLL:)

http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/life-of-internet-troll1.jpg

Dan,

I did what I did after years of planted tank experience and a TON of reading on SD as well as other informative sources. The key is being armed with the knowledge before taking the leap. :D

It's good to see you around here again. Hadn't seen you in a while.

John_Nicholson
12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
LOL. Not sure if any of this is referring to me or not, but I will continue to state my experience. I am not even a little bit concerned with being PC. I have always had an issue when people with very little experience get on simply and ask a question that they have already decided upon. That is what happened in the planted tank thread. Someone with very, very little knowledge on discus started a thread about what they were going to do, They were not expressing a question. They were going to show everyone how its done. The PC thing to do would be to pat them on the back and let them go. This would probably lead to them killing their fish, but more then that other newbies will read the post and end up killing their fish. That is where the problem lies for me....Do I keep my mouth shut and let them mislead people or do I speak up and help other newbies find the most successful path? I want the hobby to grow, after all I am a discus breeder. I want people to have success. I want people to enjoy the hobby. That is why I post the things that I do.

It does get hard when you are talking to someone that has never owned a discus, has spent a couple of weeks researching them on the net( where the info is always 100% correct.....), and who is just a little bit hard headed.

-john

roclement
12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
"4) Related to #3, just b/c someone says this is the 'best' way doesn't mean they aren't exploring or open to new ideas. The case is, in some of the newbie questions, time-and-time again, someone claims they will do it different but their formula is the EXACT same 'new' method that has failed for years. If you're new to something, you have to learn the previous ways of doing it before tweaking it and doing it a new way. If you read back in the archives, you can see the evolution of advice. That's ten years where people have changed their philosophy on how things need to be done. That's a blink of the eye."

I think everyone should read this over and over again...any new person to the forum, should as a matter of etiquette, take their time reading previous posts about the subject they have questions on BEFORE they post their questions or start their threads.

People that have been here for a while see new people joining the community all the time and start posting the same things and subjects that have been discussed and debated over and over many times, it gets old after the first 100 times people debate about bare bottom versus planted, or how many water changes to do, etc.

For a new person to not do research on a subject in such an extensive database such as Simply has to offer and to just start a new thread about issues that have been talked about hundreds of time turns me off from posting at all on those threads, so I don't.

I belong to a forum for motorcycles where the rules state that if you post a new thread that deals with subjects that have answers already in the library, they will be deleted, no questions asked or explanation given. How many times can you explain how to clean the carbs of a Honda 750 Four? How many times can we discuss water change frequency, or the benefits and merit of water changes?

To all new people, welcome! Please contribute as much as possible but learn the forum etiquette and take your time doing some research before you start your threads with questions. I assure you that most of your answers are already here! As a new member, you will make a lot of friends that will last you a lifetime and save you a lot of money and aggravation, so please return us the favor and use the search function often, and always before posting a new thread.

Rodrigo

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM

I think Pat pointed that thread out to me when I joined. I've read the thread and everyone elses for the contest. I don't think it was a full plant growout though like some people were proposing.

I don't think it's impossible. Intuitively, it actually makes a lot of sense. I am very sympathetic when discus newbies say, "...but I have 0/0/0 on my tank for nitrate/nitrites/ammonia."

I do think the suspects are beyond just cleaning thuogh.... lighting, tank mates, hard time at getting at all the food stuck between plants, and other stuff that might be more the issue than clean water.

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:06 PM
newbies.. should come in with a respect.. get to know people.. a little bit THEN P*SS them off! :)

John_Nicholson
12-15-2011, 04:21 PM
One other thing...the thread that I was referring too was not posted here in the newbie section. It was posted in the general section. I normally avoid the newbie section so I don't have to answer the same old questions over and over again.

-john

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
come on JOHN>. everybody is a WINNER NOW in Today's Society ;)

DLock3d
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Dan,

I did what I did after years of planted tank experience and a TON of reading on SD as well as other informative sources. The key is being armed with the knowledge before taking the leap. :D

It's good to see you around here again. Hadn't seen you in a while.

I've been back around for the past 8 months or so. I've got a good stock of fish that Jim is holding for me. A Blue Knight with a couple of Cobalts I'm hoping will pair off is all I have at the house. Once I get a room up and running I'll probably be calling you for a few fish.

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey Skip,

Do you remember what frame of mind you were in when you posted this thread? (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?81386-How-do-you-introduce-New-Discus&highlight=)

:D

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Yep!.. I was a ratard!.. lol..

I know exactly what the new people are going thru.. lol..

I am more enlightened now!

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
NICE!

Room? What are you up to? Building a fish room? :D

I've been back around for the past 8 months or so. I've got a good stock of fish that Jim is holding for me. A Blue Knight with a couple of Cobalts I'm hoping will pair off is all I have at the house. Once I get a room up and running I'll probably be calling you for a few fish.

judy
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
HA!! Skip, you are exposed as a former NOOBNOOBNOOB!!! :angel:

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Ps.. I still remebet that line from derekff.. about wantimg to strangle me.. I must say.. It did wake me up.. Abd I realized I may be doing something wrong

Ps.. 125 is still still in same spot in storage.. lol

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
LOL! You've come a long way weedwacker! :thumbsup:

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Judy I admit it my formet newbie ways.. lol.. Thats why I try to help the new ones.. but we are always smarter and richer when we first.start discus

Chad.. that post is like looking at my high school year book, 20 years later :) :)

i can still remember my mentality back then.. i was even telling myself.. pffft.. they are way too overboard.. discus ain't THAT DIFFICULT to keep.. ..

it only cost me about 25 juvies/fry :(

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I said this in another thread a while back, I don't think the people here are any more or less rude than any of the other forums. Some of the larger general aquaria sites have so much turnover and new members that the newbies get a good amount of responses.

From some of the other sites, I have seen some poorly thought out responses.

One person asked, "Do I need a heater for my tropical fish. It's in a room that's 80F at all times."

I said, "No, if your temperature doesn't flucutate much, the heater isn't necessary and may not even turn on. Heater is only necessary if you have temperature below a specified range dependent on the species."

Someone said after me, "That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Heater are ALWAYS required for tropical fish. A one or two degree fluctuation will also stress and kill your fish."

Anyway... with that said, I think you need a thick skin in whatever internet forum you're on. In unfamiliar topics I always qualify my newbie-ness. "Hey, I'm new, I can't figure out what's going on based on archives... can someone clarify. I think my situation is different." BUT I do always check the archive and FAQs first before posting. Google and on-site search function are your friend. It's faster than waiting on a response 99% of the time. There are times you need advice even when the info is out there b/c it can overwhelm you.... corals and reef tank are one such topic for me and that's after I spent the last 3-4 months reading.

There's also been times people have read a topic and answered with snide remarks without even knowing the right answer. I once asked a technical question related to -my- field and someone responded, "sounds like you're going to kill yourself." Not answering the question, but assuming something that is dangerous when it's not (it was a electronics question). It reminds me of how explosive ordinance instructors toss plastic explosive at the new guys and the students freak out and get nervous when someone drops it or just by catching it and holding it. Plastic explosives need to be detonated. So it would be like some guy off the street giving advice to someone in the 'bomb squad' and say, "Hey look, that's explosive and you probably shouldn't be roughly handling that." The same thing happens with radioactive related issue. People jump to irrational conclusions.

As I said in another thread... sometimes it's nice just to regurgitate what you read to make sure you understand it right and have people to bless the path you're taking to give you a little more confidence.

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you guys for all your comments Judy thanks for the spelling corrections ( I want to grow up to be just like you) I'm not saying to sugar coat anything but being a rude a$$ or a now it all just makes people look stupid. This thread was not started in responses to any threads it's just my observation so far. Lighten up people life is way to short.

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Skip,

I think we've all been there at some point. Find me one person on this forum that can PROVE that they've never killed a fish due to something that they SHOUD NOT HAVE DONE. It would be like finding a unicorn.

Aren't old yearbooks fun? :D

Sorry to hear about your initial loss. Didn't you know ALL new people are supposed to start with "care free" adults? (that's a joke everyone)

Judy I admit it my formet newbie ways.. lol.. Thats why I try to help the new ones.. but we are always smarter and richer when we first.start discus

Chad.. that post is like looking at my high school year book, 20 years later :) :)

i can still remember my mentality back then.. i was even telling myself.. pffft.. they are way too overboard.. discus ain't THAT DIFFICULT to keep.. ..

it only cost me about 25 juvies/fry :(

NICE POST!

Honestly, I said this in another thread a while back, I don't think the people here are any more or less rude than any of the other forums. Some of the larger general aquaria sites have so much turnover and new members that the newbies get a good amount of responses.

From some of the other sites, I have seen some poorly thought out responses.

One person asked, "Do I need a heater for my tropical fish. It's in a room that's 80F at all times."

I said, "No, if your temperature doesn't flucutate much, the heater isn't necessary and may not even turn on. Heater is only necessary if you have temperature below a specified range dependent on the species."

Someone said after me, "That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Heater are ALWAYS required for tropical fish. A one or two degree fluctuation will also stress and kill your fish."

Anyway... with that said, I think you need a thick skin in whatever internet forum you're on. In unfamiliar topics I always qualify my newbie-ness. "Hey, I'm new, I can't figure out what's going on based on archives... can someone clarify. I think my situation is different." BUT I do always check the archive and FAQs first before posting. Google and on-site search function are your friend. It's faster than waiting on a response 99% of the time. There are times you need advice even when the info is out there b/c it can overwhelm you.... corals and reef tank are one such topic for me and that's after I spent the last 3-4 months reading.

There's also been times people have read a topic and answered with snide remarks without even knowing the right answer. I once asked a technical question related to -my- field and someone responded, "sounds like you're going to kill yourself." Not answering the question, but assuming something that is dangerous when it's not (it was a electronics question). It reminds me of how explosive ordinance instructors toss plastic explosive at the new guys and the students freak out and get nervous when someone drops it or just by catching it and holding it. Plastic explosives need to be detonated. So it would be like some guy off the street giving advice to someone in the 'bomb squad' and say, "Hey look, that's explosive and you probably shouldn't be roughly handling that." The same thing happens with radioactive related issue. People jump to irrational conclusions.

As I said in another thread... sometimes it's nice just to regurgitate what you read to make sure you understand it right and have people to bless the path you're taking to give you a little more confidence.

Sean Buehrle
12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

LOL
I just read that, it should be stickied in the newb forum lol.

I will be adding 3-5 to the big tank, the 125.

LOL. That's funny as heck,it was like you were making plans to take over the world lol.

That's great, I needed that :)

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 05:28 PM
i jus want a show tank at the office (its a family company).. i don't want to get into breeding.. at the moment i live in an Apartment on 2nd floor.. so getting a large tank is not a good idea.. esp. since i could be moving out by end of Oct.

Aren't you still there with like 50 tanks? ;)

but i am sure several "OLDER SD" people get tired of Seeing newbies come here and ask the same questions over and over.. BUT.. that is always going to happen.. some will learn.. others will learn the HARD way ; )

LOL, here's mine...

I actually wanted plants, but had held off because people kept saying bare tank. Also, in other threads, planted tanks are discouraged. However, since I figured gravel tank was discouraged and I'm doing it anyway, I might as well fail big, so I ordered plants yesterday. Then today I found a few sites with lots of people claiming success with planted tanks and growing out their discus.

...and ...

Actually, yeah, I'm not looking to win any contests with them or breed them. I also don't have room to start breeding.

Skip
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
not 50 tanks..

75g, 60cube, 40breeder with discus..

7.9g with cherry red shrimp/crystal reds..

40breeder with 30+ female bettas (free from CL) + 3 ghost shrimp that won't die..
10g with 6 larger female bettas/snowball pleco..

29g biocube salt *not set up yep*

5g hex with 4 GIANT MOSS BALLS (grapefruit size) for shrimp.. but in qt for snails
and 20g long about to be shrimp tank :)
and looking to add more shrimp tanks at office :)

plus one adult size MESSY BROTHER!

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
not 50 tanks..

75g, 60cube, 40breeder with discus..

7.9g with cherry red shrimp/crystal reds..

40breeder with 30+ female bettas (free from CL) + 3 ghost shrimp that won't die..
10g with 6 larger female bettas/snowball pleco..

29g biocube salt *not set up yep*

5g hex with 4 GIANT MOSS BALLS (grapefruit size) for shrimp.. but in qt for snails
and 20g long about to be shrimp tank :)
and looking to add more shrimp tanks at office :)

plus one adult size MESSY BROTHER!

Dang! I thought I was an animal hoarder LOL

Darrell Ward
12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
There are little to no "new" ideas in the discus hobby period. Almost anything you can think up has already been tried in the past by someone. Long time keepers already know this, and have probably seen it all. They know what works, and what doesn't. When asked, most will tell you based on experience. If you are going to get all offended if you hear advise you don't want to hear, don't ask for advise. Shut up and continue to kill your fish. You will either learn the hard, expensive way, or quit the hobby.

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
There are little to no "new" ideas in the discus hobby period. Almost anything you can think up has already been tried in the past by someone. Long time keepers already know this, and have probably seen it all. They know what works, and what doesn't. When asked, most will tell you based on experience. If you are going to get all offended if you hear advise you don't want to hear, don't ask for advise. Shut up and continue to kill your fish. You will either learn the hard, expensive way, or quit the hobby.
Wow that's encouraging

TURQ64
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
.........and once again, very factual...

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
.........and once again, very factual... and once again very encouraging

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
That's the thing with advise, have to take the good and the bad. Problem is people get offended when you tell them things that is contraire to what they want to hear. People asking for advise should stop, listen and think about what was said whether they agree or not. When people get emotional about it the thinking process is halted and tempers flare.

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
That's the thing with advise, have to take the good and the bad. Problem is people get offended when you tell them things that is contraire to what they want to hear. People asking for advise should stop, listen and think about what was said whether they agree or not. When people get emotional about it the thinking process is halted and tempers flare.

Well said point taken pat thanks

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok I wanted to share my fortune cookie with you guys I'm at work having lunch and this was my fortune LOL
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefd00c1-aa9f-337f.jpg

shoveltrash
12-15-2011, 10:27 PM
To all new people, welcome! Please contribute as much as possible but learn the forum etiquette and take your time doing some research before you start your threads with questions. I assure you that most of your answers are already here! As a new member, you will make a lot of friends that will last you a lifetime and save you a lot of money and aggravation, so please return us the favor and use the search function often, and always before posting a new thread.
this ought to be posted on the main page, where you click on "forum"
http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c055.gif

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
There will always be disagreements amongst fish keepers about how to do things. Sometimes it's just best to agree to disagree. Will it result in catastrophe? Possibly. But, possibly not. It's very subjective naturally.

I'm not one to just accept the norm as my standard. It's fair to challenge traditional methods. How else would we evolve in anything if we don't try to do things differently, better, etc. I guess that's just how I roll.

From what I gathered from the OP (Josie) it's not the disagreement or the advice that is given from experienced members. It's the delivery. Rude, confrontational, hostile delivery (from some, not all..... if the shoe fits). There's a distinct difference between a discussion and an argument.

Just my $.02

lizandcourtney
12-16-2011, 12:49 AM
I should have known that I would get the reaction I did when I asked a question. ("I'm doing everything wrong, I am stupid, you are smart, you are a better person than me, etc.") I have already decided not to ask any more questions on this forum. If I have a question, I will PM someone that's been around a while and won't answer my question with what seems like a personal attack or an ego trip.

ericatdallas
12-16-2011, 05:30 AM

Is that 'period' or is that qualified with "assuming there is no new technology"?

I can't argue with your knowledge or experience and I wouldn't even dare to,... but on a philosophical note, I can't agree with that statement regarding the "long time keepers" on this forum know all there is to know about discus. Even the people who raise fish for $$$ are constantly learning new things that make incremental improvement to cost, growth, and the health of their fish. Is it revolutionary, no, but it still helps. Even the sponsors and breeders CLAIM to have a "secret" (Pro more for one. The nori 'secret' another.).

I mean, most people still can't breed heckels and most people can't definitively state why. So there are obviously some gaps in the knowledge here.

The key is, newbies should read the past, learn from the experienced keepers like Darrel et al, but if they want to do something different, REALLY make it count and do something that is actually unique.

Darrell Ward
12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Eric, name one really new thing in the hobby in the last 10 years, or a better, different way to do something that everyone has done the same way for many years? You really can't, and that was the point. It doesn't mean that some people know more than others, just not a better way to do things it so far.

TURQ64
12-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I believe a point overlooked on this kind of discourse is that most long time fishkeeper's are presumed 'set in their ways'..Dang, I think over our lifetimes we've all experimented on every angle we can spin off from. The yield is that we find a ton of things that 'didn't work', file them upstairs for reference, and move ahead on what does work. This leaves us with a limited set of successful 'guidelines' if you will, and from that spot is where we base our hypothesis on raising Discus

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I believe a point overlooked on this kind of discourse is that most long time fishkeeper's are presumed 'set in their ways'..Dang, I think over our lifetimes we've all experimented on every angle we can spin off from. The yield is that we find a ton of things that 'didn't work', file them upstairs for reference, and move ahead on what does work. This leaves us with a limited set of successful 'guidelines' if you will, and from that spot is where we base our hypothesis on raising Discus Well said I still want you to build my new fish room :).........Josie