PDA

View Full Version : I think they are packed like sardines

Rummy
12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I took some update pictures last night and it surprised me that my babies look like they are packed like sardines in their tank. It is 90 gal with a 20 gal sump. All seems to be fine and they are getting along quite well. When I bought all 12 of them in July, they ranged from 3.5-4.5". I bought extra, thinking some would die. Now the largest is at least 6". One spawned 2 nights ago. What I am unsure about is the issue of space. If I give them more space, are they going to begin to set up territories, fight and bully eachother? Is it going to happen anyway, when the hormones start floating around? I am also thinking that if I took some fish out of the tank, I might trigger fighting. Fighting in my last tank seemed to stop when they reached nine in number. I am concerned about them living in almost crowded conditions; however, I am afraid to break the peace by giving them more space. I am concerned that all hell will break loose. There is also that saying that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
I change 80% water 5-7 days a week.
So am I totally off my rocker, am I thinking too much, or is this a real concern? Is this just an excuse for a larger tank that I probably don't have space for? I don't think I really want to give away any of my babies I've worked so hard to raise. I have no more time for a second tank either.
What to do , what to do?:confused:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP2938.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP2944.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP2953.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP2954.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP2959.jpg

Anik

Glenn36
12-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Why not set up a breeding tank and remove the pair that laid the eggs? BTW Nice looking discus, are they jeffrey yang`s? Some of them look identical to mine.

fattubwhale
12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I think they are looking good and Happy! A bigger tank eventually means more Fish somewhere along the line :)

Jason K.
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
I think you just wanted us all to see how nice the tank and fish look!!!

Laurent
12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Great looking tank! I wonder what the experts will have to say about your question. As a relative newbie to discus, I would think you won't be terribly overcrowded with 12 in 110 total gallons, but you probably will need to remove some driftwood if they all grow huge.

Rummy
12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment. Some are Piwowarski's, others, I believe, are Lucky Tropicals, but can't verify.
I think I would be sent to a mad house if I set up another tank. I have too many animals as it is. It would be fun though - Not the mad house, I mean breeding the discus. :p
But seriously, if fights were to start, I would set up another tank. I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Anik

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Anik, leave it alone and quit making problems. If something crops up address it then. Your fish and tank look supreme...well done.

Pat

Rummy
12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
I think they are looking good and Happy! A bigger tank eventually means more Fish somewhere along the line :)

It is so true. More space, more fish. I have also been guilty of no space, more fish too.

Anik

Rummy
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I think you just wanted us all to see how nice the tank and fish look!!!

Thanks, Jason! LMAO. Seriously, still chuckling. I look at the tank and see all the flaws!

Anik

Rummy
12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Anik, leave it alone and quit making problems. If something crops up address it then. Your fish and tank look supreme...well done.

Pat

You are right, Pat. I remember, when I was caring for my planted tanks, I could not keep my hands out of the water. It is so easy to overdo it.
Great advice.
I pledge to sit (on my hands) and enjoy my fish.

Anik

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
that'a girl. If you need more to do I can always use an extra hand, either with horses or the fishes. ;)

LizStreithorst
12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
They don't look overcrowded to me. 110 gallons is fine expecailly with the amount of water you change. Leave 'em be.

moon_knight1971
12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Beautiful fish and tank and I'd usually say too many for that sized tank but if you're doing 80% WC 5 - 7 days a week then you should be good. There will always be some kind of aggression with discus so let them be and act later if necessary.

Joey!

Rummy
12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
that'a girl. If you need more to do I can always use an extra hand, either with horses or the fishes. ;)

If only I were closer... I used to spend my days with horses. I used to be one of those kids that hangs out at the stables just for the privilege of cleaning out a stall. Still love the smell...
I keep saying that I am glad to have only an apartment. If I had any land, I would have way too many animals.

Anik

Rummy
12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Liz and Joey. I will let them be.

Anik

judy
12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
that tank and fish look perfect. sit bacjk, do your wcs, and enjoy like crazy. phenomenal job sculpting the driftwood! (envy, envy)...

LizStreithorst
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
If you lived where I live you would be in heaven. I don't understand how people can stand to live so closed in. I love the solitude of living in a place where if you find me you have either gotten explicit directions or are hoplessly lost.

If only I were closer... I used to spend my days with horses. I used to be one of those kids that hangs out at the stables just for the privilege of cleaning out a stall. Still love the smell...
I keep saying that I am glad to have only an apartment. If I had any land, I would have way too many animals.

Anik

shoveltrash
12-15-2011, 09:27 PM
oh your tank & your Discus are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. do not change a thing! (JMHO)

If I had any land, I would have way too many animals. yeah.....my problem exactly!

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
That tank is stunning

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Anik

Come on out Anik, on five acres, you can have all the animals and clean all the stalls you wish ;) Khayel and Jake would love you for it.

Rummy
12-15-2011, 09:56 PM
If you lived where I live you would be in heaven. I don't understand how people can stand to live so closed in. I love the solitude of living in a place where if you find me you have either gotten explicit directions or are hoplessly lost.

Haha! Funny you mentioned hopelessly lost... I managed to do that twice this year in the mountains here. Second time around was with a GPS, google maps, iPhone map, and directions to the camp ground. I guess I am getting pretty good at this getting lost thing.
The mountains here are absolutely beautiful. Once you leave the shore and beaches and get into the mountains, you feel like your in another world!

Anik

Chicago Discus
12-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Come on out Anik, on five acres, you can have all the animals and clean all the stalls you wish ;) Khayel and Jake would love you for it.

5 acres that sounds great pat would love to live in the country but work keeps me in the city.

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Josie, I'm almost in the city :( When I moved here in 94 all dirt roads. Want the dirt roads back and the city gone. Ruins all things rural.

adammak47
12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice display tank. By the way, how do you hang the wood from the top?

Rummy
12-15-2011, 10:34 PM

Ooh,ooh! Pictures please

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Ooh,ooh! Pictures please

I will get some for ya. What do you want to see?

Turkeys
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91277-Front-Yard-Friends

Backyard sunset
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91406-Backyard-Sunset

And a few extra's
Khayel, my best bud.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0062.jpg

Bell, General entertainment.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0065.jpg

Blaze, this cat loves to watch the discharge water from a WC.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0066-1.jpg

shoveltrash
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Khayel is beautiful!

marielou20
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I would like to know what variety are those yellow discus?

Rummy
12-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I would like to know what variety are those yellow discus?

They were sold to me as "Dickson's Golds".

Anik

Rummy
12-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Thanks.
I used hooks attached to the canopy. Rope is attached to the wood via a stainless steel screw and plastic ties. I will try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow. It is not pretty, but from under water, doesn't look bad. Also, the floating plants help to hide some of the rope. It will be easier to understand with the pictures.

Anik

Rummy
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
I will get some for ya. What do you want to see?

Turkeys
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91277-Front-Yard-Friends

Backyard sunset
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91406-Backyard-Sunset

And a few extra's
Khayel, my best bud.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0062.jpg

Bell, General entertainment.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0065.jpg

Blaze, this cat loves to watch the discharge water from a WC.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Worm%20Bins/IMAG0066-1.jpg

Khayel looks Arabian. I have always wanted a grey Arabian. I'll bet your pets are great company too.
Thanks for the pictures. Definitely my kind of place. I would never get any work done. I'd be playing outside all day. I never get tired of looking at the southern countryside. I grew up in Louisiana, and am very partial to it. There is nothing like Spanish moss, cypress, and swamps.
One day I am going to have to dig up some pictures of my neck of the woods.
Anik
I'll have to dig up some pictures of my neck of the woods.

Second Hand Pat
12-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Yes Anik, Khayel is an arab. He looks more like a anglo-arab. Khayel's other name is Pigpen, he can be assorted colors of gray depending on the dirt layer. You would love it. We have deer, fox, gopher turtles, sandhill cranes, turkeys and other assorted creatures.

Rummy
12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
I usually drive though Florida once a year. I get a kick with all the animals we see in the fields and along side the road. Not to mention those flying overhead.

Second Hand Pat
12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I usually drive though Florida once a year. I get a kick with all the animals we see in the fields and along side the road. Not to mention those flying overhead.

If you are close should stop on in ;)

Rummy
12-16-2011, 01:27 AM
In summer, we usually drive from Miami to destin. will have to stop in. I would love to see the animals and tanks in person.

chiligum
12-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm a Largemouth Bass freak, i love fishing but unfortunately being on this side of 'The Pond' don't have access to Musky and Bass...I've heard that Florida Bass are some of the best looking anywhere to be found!...One day,one day:o

Rummy
12-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I'll let the bass fishermen answer that one. I have no clue. But judging how well every other animal, indigenous or introduced, in Florida thrives, I'll bet they are gorgeous. Florida is definitely worth the trip. There is so much to see and do.

Anik

Second Hand Pat
12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
In summer, we usually drive from Miami to destin. will have to stop in. I would love to see the animals and tanks in person.

Anytime Anik :)

I'm a Largemouth Bass freak, i love fishing but unfortunately being on this side of 'The Pond' don't have access to Musky and Bass...I've heard that Florida Bass are some of the best looking anywhere to be found!...One day,one day:o

I do know that with the large lakes here in central Fla that the bass fishing is great. I like freshwater fishing but love saltwater fishing. Nothing better then fighting with a grouper or hog snapper...and eating the same day when caught :grin:

pcsb23
12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Fish and tank look good. You have quite a lot of water with the 90 + 20 sump, using the rule of thumb 1 adult per 10 gals you are not too far off that, and after all it is just a guide. You seem to be well on top of your husbandry and the fish reflect this as they do look healthy (well done too btw!!). The rule of 1 per 10 gal is really a guide and is a useful one for newcomers. I'll try and answer some of the more important points for you ...

...If I give them more space, are they going to begin to set up territories, fight and bully eachother? It is likely to some degree that if you change the dynamics then they will re-establish hierarchies etc ...

Is it going to happen anyway, when the hormones start floating around? Possible but as the pecking order is sorted then for now it should be ok. The problems may occur if a female and a male lower down the pecking order decide to pair - this is not usual as one of the drivers for hierarchies is mating rights! but discus have a habit of proving us wrong!

I am also thinking that if I took some fish out of the tank, I might trigger fighting.See my answer to the first q :)

Fighting in my last tank seemed to stop when they reached nine in number. I am concerned about them living in almost crowded conditions; however, I am afraid to break the peace by giving them more space. I am concerned that all hell will break loose. There is also that saying that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"This is typical ime, there isn't really enough room to establish territories so ... it doesn't look broke so I wouldn't try and fix it either.

So am I totally off my rocker,Yes:bandana:

am I thinking too much, Yes :bandana:

or is this a real concern? Not an unreasonable concern

Is this just an excuse for a larger tank that I probably don't have space for? Of course it is :D

Rummy
12-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Here is a photo from under the canopy that I promised. Not pretty, but it works. Definitely get black rope. Don't use blue rope like I did. (Brain fart!)
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMG_0682.jpg

Let me know if I should explain what you are seeing.

Anik

Rummy
12-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Fish and tank look good. You have quite a lot of water with the 90 + 20 sump, using the rule of thumb 1 adult per 10 gals you are not too far off that, and after all it is just a guide. You seem to be well on top of your husbandry and the fish reflect this as they do look healthy (well done too btw!!). The rule of 1 per 10 gal is really a guide and is a useful one for newcomers. I'll try and answer some of the more important points for you ...

It is likely to some degree that if you change the dynamics then they will re-establish hierarchies etc ...

Possible but as the pecking order is sorted then for now it should be ok. The problems may occur if a female and a male lower down the pecking order decide to pair - this is not usual as one of the drivers for hierarchies is mating rights! but discus have a habit of proving us wrong!

See my answer to the first q :)

This is typical ime, there isn't really enough room to establish territories so ... it doesn't look broke so I wouldn't try and fix it either.

Yes:bandana:

Yes :bandana:

Not an unreasonable concern

Of course it is :D

Thanks, Paul for your answres and encouragement.
I absolutely aggree with the last statement. There is always an excuse for a bigger tank; and new excuses are invented every day. Can we ever have too big a tank?

Anik

pcsb23
12-16-2011, 11:48 AM
.. Can we ever have too big a tank?

AnikNope :D

ExReefer
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Your fish look healthy we know you are giving them excellent care. Well done! As for being packed in the tank, I'm not a fan of that. It's one of the reasons I recently went from a 75G to 125G. It's only 50 more gallons, but it's two feet longer length wise. Since moving my small group of discus to the six foot tank, I've witnessed different behaviors. In the 75G, they were less active and stayed in one place for the most of the day. In the 125G, they swim length wise from one end of the tank to the other as a group and I find it more pleasing to watch. I'm sure if I pack my 125G with more discus their behavior would go back to what I witnessed in the 75G.

Rummy
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Your fish look healthy we know you are giving them excellent care. Well done! As for being packed in the tank, I'm not a fan of that. It's one of the reasons I recently went from a 75G to 125G. It's only 50 more gallons, but it's two feet longer length wise. Since moving my small group of discus to the six foot tank, I've witnessed different behaviors. In the 75G, they were less active and stayed in one place for the most of the day. In the 125G, they swim length wise from one end of the tank to the other as a group and I find it more pleasing to watch. I'm sure if I pack my 125G with more discus their behavior would go back to what I witnessed in the 75G.

Thanks.
That's good to know. How many do you have in the 125? Are they adults now? Have they set up territories?

Anik

Unitus
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm so glad someone else is using serpae tetras with discus!

chiligum
12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Once again, they are stunning Fish in stunning condition, leave your set-up well alone and just keep up with what your already doing because it works!

Rummy
12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm so glad someone else is using serpae tetras with discus!

I like they way they look with the discus. They stay in a tight group. They've only been in the tank a couple of weeks.
So far so good. They are afraid of the discus. And stay out of their way. I've had these guys for about a year and they've never been nippy. We shall see. (They were not part of the original plan for the tank. They needed a place to go since I am taking down their tank.)
I am still paranoid about introducing disease. So I guess I wouldn't necessarily recommend adding other fish.

Rummy
12-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Once again, they are stunning Fish in stunning condition, leave your set-up well alone and just keep up with what your already doing because it works!

Wow! Thanks! I am not going to touch anything.

dadecountyalan
12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
nice tank man. leave it like that. plus those discus like being in groups like that.

btw my moms from bayamon, la ciudad del chicharon!!!

Rummy
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
nice tank man. leave it like that. plus those discus like being in groups like that.

btw my moms from bayamon, la ciudad del chicharon!!!

Thanks, Alan!
Y FELICES NAVIDADES Y PROSPERO AÑO!

Chicago Discus
12-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Alan!
Y FELICES NAVIDADES Y PROSPERO AÑO!
translation is "AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND PROSPEROUS YEAR!"..............Josie

Chicago Discus
12-18-2011, 03:12 PM
su tener realmente chulo(fresco) alguien que conoce español alrededor.................Josie

Rummy
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
su tener realmente chulo(fresco) alguien que conoce español alrededor.................Josie

Súper conocer mas amigos que hablan español! De donde eres? Y felices Navidades y prospero año a ti también!
Back to English - I don't want to offend anyone.
Actually, happy holidays to everyone at SD!

Anik

Chicago Discus
12-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Súper conocer mas amigos que hablan español! De donde eres? Y felices Navidades y prospero año a ti también!
Back to English - I don't want to offend anyone.
Actually, happy holidays to everyone at SD!

Anik

Chicago LOL

Rummy
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Lol, Josie. Where did you learn Spanish?

discus bod
12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
they look happy and healthy, id leave them to.

Apistomaster
12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I am one of the "Older Discus keepers" on this board having been keeping and breeding wild Discus in 1967 and beginning to breed them in 1969.
In my current fish "room" project I have used a 75 gal with a massive DIY wet/dry with a sump which adds about 12 more gallons to the system.
I have grown out 3 groups of 10 to 12 Discus over the past 7 years in this tank. First group was a dozen Red Turquoise =, next were 10 small Heckels raised to full size adults and presently I have 11 F1 Nhamunda Blue Discus I have raised from one inch fry to adults.
In these somewhat crowded conditions it seems to inhibit a lot of aggression seen as they form pecking orders and later as pairs begin to form.

I actually have had more aggression when I was keeping Six wild Alenquer Blues in my 125 gallon.
In addition to the Discus I always have kept a school of at least one Tetra species and some of the plecos I breed with my groups.
As everyone has told you, there is nothing wrong about how you are caring for your Discus.

Rummy
12-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I am one of the "Older Discus keepers" on this board having been keeping and breeding wild Discus in 1967 and beginning to breed them in 1969.
In my current fish "room" project I have used a 75 gal with a massive DIY wet/dry with a sump which adds about 12 more gallons to the system.
I have grown out 3 groups of 10 to 12 Discus over the past 7 years in this tank. First group was a dozen Red Turquoise =, next were 10 small Heckels raised to full size adults and presently I have 11 F1 Nhamunda Blue Discus I have raised from one inch fry to adults.
In these somewhat crowded conditions it seems to inhibit a lot of aggression seen as they form pecking orders and later as pairs begin to form.

I actually have had more aggression when I was keeping Six wild Alenquer Blues in my 125 gallon.
In addition to the Discus I always have kept a school of at least one Tetra species and some of the plecos I breed with my groups.
As everyone has told you, there is nothing wrong about how you are caring for your Discus.

Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate it when years worth of experience can give such good guidance to us newcomers. I have been keeping aquariums since I was a kid. Discus, however, is a whole different ballgame. All of a sudden, it seems those years worth of experience that I thought I had has been flushed down the drain.
I remember making the same observation you made about stocking levels and aggression in a previous discus tank I kept for 2 years. When I reached 9 discus in a 75gal, they stopped fighting.
These guys are definitely going to remain as they are - packed like little sardines. They are happy; so, I am happy.

Again, thank you for taking the time out to respond to my question.

Happy holidays.

YSS
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Very nice looking group of fish. Well done.

Since moving my small group of discus to the six foot tank, I've witnessed different behaviors. In the 75G, they were less active and stayed in one place for the most of the day. In the 125G, they swim length wise from one end of the tank to the other as a group and I find it more pleasing to watch. I'm sure if I pack my 125G with more discus their behavior would go back to what I witnessed in the 75G.

I agree completely with this statement. This is why I cringe when I hear people wanting to keep discus in a tank that's less than 4 feet. In my opinion, 4 feet tank is still too small for discus.

Apistomaster
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Very nice looking group of fish. Well done.

I agree completely with this statement. This is why I cringe when I hear people wanting to keep discus in a tank that's less than 4 feet. In my opinion, 4 feet tank is still too small for discus.

It really depends on exactly what your goals are. Mass produced Discus around the world are kept at high stocking densities accompanied by commensurately large water changes.
The truth is that there are many different ways in which to keep Discus successfully. I prefer fewer Discus in a tank when I am trying to get them to pair off but keep many together during my grow out stage. If your goals do not include breeding then a higher density population will quell much of the aggression.

Rummy
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I agree with you, Apistomaster. The goals have a lot to do with stocking density. I do not plan on breeding these guys. I was actually hoping that a higher density will keep them from wanting to set up territories for breeding. One of the BD's did spawn last week. The fighting has been less than I expected. It's more like a mild pushing and shoving.

YSS
12-23-2011, 06:28 PM
It really depends on exactly what your goals are. Mass produced Discus around the world are kept at high stocking densities accompanied by commensurately large water changes.
The truth is that there are many different ways in which to keep Discus successfully. I prefer fewer Discus in a tank when I am trying to get them to pair off but keep many together during my grow out stage. If your goals do not include breeding then a higher density population will quell much of the aggression.

My comments were not related to stocking density. My comments on tank size are based on my observation of my discus in a 4 foot tank vs. 6 foot and 7 foot tanks. I think 4 foot tanks are not big enough to keep a school of discus. This is my opinion.

Rummy
12-23-2011, 07:27 PM
EEEK! Squeel with delite. I am about to completely contradict myself. (But then again, women tend to do these things.:o) I am preparing for a water change and a second pair just laid a huge batch of eggs! How can I change the water?? I don't want them to hatch ;); but, I dont want to kill them either. Do I just wait until tomorrow? Just tested water an hour ago (TDS 270, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, phosphate 0, nitrate 10, pH7.2, KH 5, GH 7). The top most eggs are about half way up the tank. I always change 80%. Am I going to mess everything up if I change the water?

Rummy
12-23-2011, 07:42 PM
here are two quick, fuzzy snapshots.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP3141.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Anik30/IMGP3133.jpg

Ok. Now I am calmer. I am sure they will be gone by the morning. I will change the water in the pm, I guess.

shoveltrash
12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
EEEK! Squeel with delite. I am about to completely contradict myself. (But then again, women tend to do these things.) you made me grin from ear-to-ear reading this! :D

and hey.....ya never know......exciting just to see those eggs!
& again I say, you have LOVELY Discus.

Rummy
12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Trish. Yes this is exciting. I know these "kids" still don't know what they are doing. And I cant expect anything out of this. But, I guess I am just being a mother hen.

I just copied these two posts to a new thread.
I know I am over reacting, but this is so much fun!

Regardless, it is fun to have a little good news and fun in life and on the forum.

Happy holidays!

TNT77
12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't want them to hatch ;); but, I dont want to kill them either.
LOL that's funny right there.

chiligum
12-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Well you were worried about too many fish and if they were ok and now you have proof that you have a happy tank!...Well done!

Rummy
12-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Well you were worried about too many fish and if they were ok and now you have proof that you have a happy tank!...Well done!

Thanks for the kind words. You are so right. Still giddy this morning. The eggs look good and the "three" parents are still guarding and fanning them. I have a few more white eggs, but the rest look good.

Happy holidays to you.

Second Hand Pat
12-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Anik, agree here with Chiligum, happy tank. Any rearing in your future? Your first post on the eggs made me smile. Hubby and I were in the car coming home from a visit with our daughter and he wondered why I was smiling like a cheshire cat. :)

Rummy
12-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Anik, agree here with Chiligum, happy tank. Any rearing in your future? Your first on the eggs made me smile. Hubby and I were in the car coming home from a visit with our daughter and he wondered why I was smiling like a cheshire cat. :)

I am still laughing at myself. I am glad you got a chuckle too. Can you believe the eggs and parents are still there? The color of the eggs looks right too. TDS is too high though (270). Anyway, aside from cookie baking, gift wrapping, general Christmas hoopla, I will have to read about reproduction. I know they won't hatch; but, I hate not knowing what I am doing.
I do not [I]plan[I] on rearing; however, nothing in life is etched in stone.;)

Merry Christmas

Second Hand Pat
12-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Merry Christmas

Ain't that the truth, Merry Christmas Anik :)

Apistomaster
12-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I am still laughing at myself. I am glad you got a chuckle too. Can you believe the eggs and parents are still there? The color of the eggs looks right too. TDS is too high though (270). Anyway, aside from cookie baking, gift wrapping, general Christmas hoopla, I will have to read about reproduction. I know they won't hatch; but, I hate not knowing what I am doing.

Merry Christmas

I have bred wild caught Brown Discus in water with 450 ppm TDS and a pH of 7.6. There was one pair which raised 147 fry from a single spawn. So there is more to breeding Discus than water chemistry. Blue/Brown wilds have a large range and in some parts the water is harder and higher in pH than other areas.

Rummy
12-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I have bred wild caught Brown Discus in water with 450 ppm TDS and a pH of 7.6. There was one pair which raised 147 fry from a single spawn. So there is more to breeding Discus than water chemistry. Blue/Brown wilds have a large range and in some parts the water is harder and higher in pH than other areas.

Incredible. 450... There is so much we still don't know.
Happy holidays.

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Rummy your tank is the inspiration for my 150 gallon build! I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Rummy
12-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Rummy your tank is the inspiration for my 150 gallon build! I love it.

Thank you for such a nice complement!

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Where did you get your dw??

Rummy
12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Where did you get your dw??

From Manzman. He is one of our vendors here.

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm definitely going to have to talk to him. Lol

marielou20
12-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Rallye Nice tank

Rummy
12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Rallye Nice tank

Thanks so much. I am glad you like it.

TNT77
12-26-2011, 10:30 PM
The eggs ever hatch?

Rummy
12-26-2011, 10:39 PM
The eggs ever hatch?

Nope. They were gone yesterday morning. They did last over 24 hours though. Only a few turned white. I am guessing the pleco or cory's had a midnight snack. It was fun though. I guess they will be at it again. There has been a lot of activity among them. They are a bit more territorial and displaying to each other. Lots of quivering and bobbing heads up and down. A few of the will casually clean spots on the wood as well.