PDA

View Full Version : a concern?

fishcrazed
12-15-2011, 11:45 PM
ok i want to set up an "alice in wonderand" theme tank for my discus and i was wonder are barbies a threat?like could something from the plastic or the clothes leech in the water and kill my stock overnight one day?

Skip
12-15-2011, 11:53 PM
ok i want to set up an "alice in wonderand" theme tank for my discus and i was wonder are barbies a threat?like could something from the plastic or the clothes leech in the water and kill my stock overnight one day?

not at all.. 100% safe.. what a fantastic idea!! make sure to take pics and update us!!

Terrybo
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't know if it is a good idea. Barbies in the tank may cause the female fish in the tank to grow up with body image issues!

Terry

Darrell Ward
12-16-2011, 12:47 AM
LOL!

Second Hand Pat
12-16-2011, 12:49 AM
LOL!

+1

nwehrman
12-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Lol

discuspaul
12-16-2011, 01:06 AM
It's quite OK, as long as Barbie keeps her clothes on. Oops, "has" her clothes on, not "keeps". LOL

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 01:20 AM
This is funny LOL

ShinShin
12-16-2011, 02:37 AM
And this is why serious European discus keepers laugh at us (I am assuming you're American). Purple gravel, too?

damba
12-16-2011, 03:20 AM
One question if this real why.

.....?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

roclement
12-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Just make sure it's barebottom and you will be fine! :-)

Rodrigo

chiligum
12-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Barebottom Barbie, love it...This surely must be a joke thread though?!

lipadj46
12-16-2011, 06:11 AM
This surely must be a joke thread though?!

you would hope.

chiligum
12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Hope and pray!

Red Turquoise
12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
The Cheshire cat might stress the discus out a little . Trim it's claws :D

Dennis The Mennis
12-16-2011, 09:51 AM
The hooka smoking caterillar might have a hard time keeping that hooka pipe going...lol

shoveltrash
12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
"barebottom barbie" LOLOLOL!!!!!!

i want to set up an "alice in wonderand" theme tank for my discus you have GOT to post photos, if you are seriously going to do this!

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
"barebottom barbie" LOLOLOL!!!!!!

you have GOT to post photos, if you are seriously going to do this!

I want to see pictures to if its real. It kinda reminds me of the TV show TANKED

Sean Buehrle
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Is this a joke?

It's no wonder people get bad attitudes and give rude answers to people's questions around here.

If the barbies don't kill the fish, I'm sure they will try and commit suicide.

I have to add to this post.

I just read all your started posts and half of them are about sick or dying fish.

Are you friggin serious?

I find this post seriously repulsive considering nearly every question you have asked here is about needing help getting your sick fish better.

Quit wasting everyone's time with this garbage.

There is that the reply you were looking for?

For everyone reading this, if I ever want to stick a doll in my fish tank, please call my family because I have went completely off my rocker and need help.

Holy crap I've seen it all.

lipadj46
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I want to see pictures to if its real. It kinda reminds me of the TV show TANKED

yeah sort of, a bunch of tacky fish tanks filled with gawdy plastic decor built by obnoxious guidos that cram as many fish as they can whether they are compatible or not. Sounds about right lol!

fishcrazed
12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Is this a joke?

It's no wonder people get bad attitudes and give rude answers to people's questions around here.

If the barbies don't kill the fish, I'm sure they will try and commit suicide.

I have to add to this post.

I just read all your started posts and half of them are about sick or dying fish.

Are you friggin serious?

I find this post seriously repulsive considering nearly every question you have asked here is about needing help getting your sick fish better.

Quit wasting everyone's time with this garbage.

There is that the reply you were looking for?

For everyone reading this, if I ever want to stick a doll in my fish tank, please call my family because I have went completely off my rocker and need help.

Holy crap I've seen it all.

reason why my post are about sick fish is because if theyre not sick why would i need help? DUH!

fishcrazed
12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
also for every yes this is serious! i am setting up a theme where alice is looking down the bunny hole looking for the rabbit and i was wondering if the plastic harms the fish. if i didnt care i wouldnt be asking and wouldve done it already so obviously this isnt a joke.

simple question should get simple replys. i dont know why you all hate the idea its something new and i would like to try it. not like im being irresposible. you have your tastes and i have mine why does it matter if its a theme tank if the fish arent being harm which is why i posted this thread to see if the barbie would harm the fish

pcsb23
12-16-2011, 04:55 PM
ok everyone calm down. Live and let live eh?

Ike
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
The fish love her! :D :D :D

roclement
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
"...to see if the Barbie would harm the fish..."

Only emotionally! And no more than you are capable of on your own...without her help!

Rodrigo

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Well, the idea of a "themed" fish tank is a bit odd for serious discus keepers. I dont suggest it for a couple of reasons. Many plastics can and will leech chemicals that could be toxic to fish (not sure what plastic Barbies are made from though) Secondly, with the amount of decor and props that you most likely will have in the tank, it seems it would be difficult to clean and that in itself could pose health problems for the discus. If you are set on this style tank, maybe a more forgiving type of fish would be a better choice for you?

aalbina
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
also for every yes this is serious! i am setting up a theme where alice is looking down the bunny hole looking for the rabbit and i was wondering if the plastic harms the fish. if i didnt care i wouldnt be asking and wouldve done it already so obviously this isnt a joke.

simple question should get simple replys. i dont know why you all hate the idea its something new and i would like to try it. not like im being irresposible. you have your tastes and i have mine why does it matter if its a theme tank if the fish arent being harm which is why i posted this thread to see if the barbie would harm the fish

OK - I really did think this was joke - but.... I would probably be a little concerned about putting a Barbie in the tank. I think the major concerns would be in the glue that is used in the hair or what it's coated with. I think there is a rubber bandish thing inside that holds the torso together (but maybe that was years ago.) Barbie would have to be non-toxic if we let our children chew on them. The fish may try to ingest the hair - that's probably not good for them but probably not toxic either. It's probably pretty safe - but I would do some more research to be sure that long term submersion doesn't breakdown any protective coatings on the doll.

Adam

Ike
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
When Fabric, like the doll's clothes gets wet it's likely that it will mold and foul the water. Because Discus required such pristine water conditions the two might not mix well.

If you do still want to re-create wonderland in your tank, you may want to consider ceramic figures of Alice, the rabbit, the mad hatter, and members of the kingdom of hearts which are inert like these.

Found here: http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/product/alice_and_the_mad_hatter_salt_pepper_shakers/

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 06:29 PM
yeah sort of, a bunch of tacky fish tanks filled with gawdy plastic decor built by obnoxious guidos that cram as many fish as they can whether they are compatible or not. Sounds about right lol! LOL that was I was thinking but you said it much better............Josie

Discus PB
12-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I think the pigment in the plastic would start to seep out for being exposed to water for a very long period of time. If they used glues they may also start to break down if they are water based glues. Not 100% if anything bad would happen but that's what I know would happen to the doll

Skip
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Sean.. I felt same way.. But I was trying to be supportive since to the question vr
Or fear of hurting feelings of newbie posters .. They are sensitive right now.. lol

fishcrazed
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
When Fabric, like the doll's clothes gets wet it's likely that it will mold and foul the water. Because Discus required such pristine water conditions the two might not mix well.

If you do still want to re-create wonderland in your tank, you may want to consider ceramic figures of Alice, the rabbit, the mad hatter, and members of the kingdom of hearts which are inert like these.

Found here: http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/product/alice_and_the_mad_hatter_salt_pepper_shakers/

do you know if the paint they use is safe for fish?

Skip
12-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Dsgirl uses glazed ceramics for her breeding cones.. I think.. I have onlu unglazed from her

Sean Buehrle
12-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Sean.. I felt same way.. But I was trying to be supportive since to the question vr
Or fear of hurting feelings of newbie posters .. They are sensitive right now.. lol

I have no hard feelings and really wasn't concerned until I seen fish crazed has been having problems with keeping fish healthy or maybe got started on the wrong track with sick fish from the get go.

Doesn't matter, I would rather look like a jerk if it helps fish crazed be successful than sit here and watch a mistake.

I needed a nap earlier :)

ShinShin
12-17-2011, 12:26 AM
fishcrazed -

Why don't you take this crap to a kiddie's forum or something. This is a discus forum. It used to be for serious discus people, not the crap you are bringing. No wonder discus people are not posting much anymore.

Mat

fishcrazed
12-17-2011, 11:10 AM
fishcrazed -

Why don't you take this crap to a kiddie's forum or something. This is a discus forum. It used to be for serious discus people, not the crap you are bringing. No wonder discus people are not posting much anymore.

Mat

i asked a simple question you dont like what im doing with MY tank dont post on MY thread i ask to make sure the fish stays safe THE WHOLE POINT! DUH!

Skip
12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Nobody knows cuz nobody has ever done it... Do it take pics with discus and post back on UR thread..u are the trailblazer

pcsb23
12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Well I did ask nicely :(

As people cannot live and let live I am not prepared to let this thread deteriorate any further.

For the record, experienced discus keepers, even new discus keepers who want to be considered as experienced, may not approve of what the OP wishes to do, heck tbh I don't either. But it is his tank so he may do as he wishes with it. It does not give anyone the right to throw insults, veiled or otherwise.