PDA

View Full Version : Hmm should I add them to the tank or not?

down2earth
12-17-2011, 01:50 AM
I have 24 neon tetras. They been in qt for a week and some change. Should i add these little guys to my discus tank or just leave them in the qt tank? Idint know how well my discus will do with them. I just wanted to add some more color to the tank.

Sean Buehrle
12-17-2011, 02:22 AM
No

I would not add them to your tank this early, 1 week will tell you nothing .

I would go at least a month.

adammak47
12-17-2011, 02:55 AM
I would wait another 3 weeks to be safe.

Scribbles
12-17-2011, 03:25 AM
I agree. Wait at least another 3 weeks.

Chris

pcsb23
12-17-2011, 06:28 AM
I wouldn't add them at all. The top end of the neon's temp range is lower than the bottom end of the discus temp range, the neons will just burn out, i.e. have a very short lifespan.

Darrell Ward
12-17-2011, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't add them at all. The top end of the neon's temp range is lower than the bottom end of the discus temp range, the neons will just burn out, i.e. have a very short lifespan.

Of course. This is so obvious, I don't see how the others missed it.

daffyfish
12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Maybe try some cardinals, if you want to add some color to the Discus tank?

down2earth
12-17-2011, 10:04 AM
M not adding them for another 5 weeks. I ment in general. Is this fish good to be with discus. The qt tank temp is at 84F. The fish seem happy and eat alot.

pcsb23
12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
M not adding them for another 5 weeks. I ment in general. Is this fish good to be with discus. The qt tank temp is at 84F. The fish seem happy and eat alot.their metabolic rate will be in overdrive. They will be dead in a year or 18 months. Sorry but that is how it is. At the correct temp they will live for 6 to 10 years. Cardinals are a much better choice as are lemon tetras.

Bill63SG
12-17-2011, 02:42 PM
If you want some color,cardinals and endlers.

chiligum
12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
That is why you always see Cardinals instead of Neons...Because the Neons cant take the heat and are not built for it the same as the Cardinals.

Chicago Discus
12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
their metabolic rate will be in overdrive. They will be dead in a year or 18 months. Sorry but that is how it is. At the correct temp they will live for 6 to 10 years. Cardinals are a much better choice as are lemon tetras. totally agree learned that lesson...LOL

Samsmobb
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
As if cardinals last either.. I've seen so many posts on here saying cardanials last 1-2 years I would just add the neons and be happy. It's your tank!

down2earth
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Sweet. I didn't know what i was goin to do with 25 neons

dbfzurowski
12-17-2011, 03:48 PM
bloodfin tetras! Hard to kill and will live 10+years

damba
12-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Id go with lemons - lovely fish and the first tropical fish i kept thirty years sgo.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

chiligum
12-17-2011, 04:53 PM
@Samsmobb...It maybe 'His tank' to do with what he wants but facts are facts which you can't change...Cardinals and Neons come from 2 seperate water temperature ranges, so why are you giving bad advice out that will not do the person asking the question any good?

Darrell Ward
12-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes, while it is "his" tank, telling someone it's OK to add inappropriate fish to it is irresponsible.

discuspaul
12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Agree that most of the foregoing advice is dead on, and in an 'ideal world' it most certainly is.

Realistically however, the OP doesn't have much choice in the circumstances, unless the source of his Neons agrees to take them back in exchange for Cardinals or Lemons, or he is prepared to try selling the Neons, albeit it would very likely have to be at a heavily discounted price, or outright give them away.

He now knows full well the Neons' life span would be significantly reduced by doing so, and assuming he's amenable to that, it would seem to be an acceptable option in his shoes to add them to his discus tank after QT, and consider dropping his tank temp to say 82 F.
That's mho.

down2earth
12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Ya I'm ok if they don't live as long. Just so they can live in my discus tank. Plenty of food and clean water. They should be ok. I got them on discount. I won't be buying anymore. I'll look for the other fish that were recommended.

discuspaul
12-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Good for you. I applaud that, cause it's what you want, and it'll more than likely work out quite ok.
All the best to you.

ShinShin
12-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I would ignore the advice of some very experienced discus people on this thread and listen to the poor advice others gave you because it is what you want to hear. Don't let it bother you, either, that, although the neons can't tap on the glass and tell you, they are going to be physically uncompfortable in the enviroment that increases their metabolic balances. Black Neons are an acceptable choice as well as Cardinals.

Mat

discuspaul
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
As the respected administrator who posted on this thread said very well on another sd thread, which was then closed:
'We may not approve of what the OP wishes to do, but it's his tank, so he may do as he wishes with it.'

While it matters not to me that some may disagree with my view posted here, nor care for what I have to say now, but I believe there's no need to be dogmatic and disparaging, as in the foregoing commentary.
You may be offended, but I was offended by your remarks as well.

chiligum
12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I forgot about Black Neon's as well, they would look very nice with the Discus, and be at the right comfy temperature as well, when your other Neons burn themselves out early.

ShinShin
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Ask and a person will get answered. I saw all these discus people say no, then a newbie says do what you want, and here you go. You got the answer you wanted. Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, you ought to do what you want, don't ask about it, and then no one with the knowledge will be wasting their time by reading and answering. That will work for everyone.

Mat

chiligum
12-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Agreed, if you're not going to listen when you get the answer you've asked for...what's the point?...just cut the middle man out and do what you like and save everyone's time.

Sent from England using Tapatalk