PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? Adding adult wild.

Asago
12-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Need some feedback, I have an adult wild discus in a 55galllon, with a school of cardinal tetras, and 6 cory sterbai. Its a planted tank and setup is stable having had this discus for about 4 yrs now, was thinking about adding another adult wild. I know there is no exact answer, but need some opinions....

dbfzurowski
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
well, its always recommended to keep discus in groups of 5+
I would do a good qt on any new wilds if you get more.

Asago
12-17-2011, 01:43 PM
yea, I know... its just not feasible in 55gal with adults, I have it well stocked with cardinals about 35, and 6 cory sterbai... it would be nice to add one more adult discus, I have had groups in the past and know that there can be issues with pecking order and such... just curious how only two would do, obviously pairs get on fine.... im probably pushing carrying capacity as it is, but just fishing for opinions.

jimg
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I imo keeping just 2 adults will be fine. just qt and clean up the wild first.

chiligum
12-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Well as i'm sure you understand yourself, it can either go 1 of 2 ways!...The only way to see if it works is to try it i'm afraid because obviously there are no 100% guaranteed answers because there's too many variables.

Bill63SG
12-17-2011, 05:04 PM
It seems to be a general consensus around here that to keep only two,its best being a pair.That's not saying it can't be done,it just seemed for me once a tank got to 3-4,one was always a bully,not enough fish to spread out the aggresion.

Asago
12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I know....your right, there is really only one way to find out, they will either cohabitate or go at it.

ShinShin
12-18-2011, 02:59 AM
It is never a good idea to keep only 2 (except a mated pair) or 3 discus in a tank. 4 would be a poor choice minimum with 5-6 being better. These numbers come from considerable experience, not just an opinion.

Mat

jimg
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
that wild in my avatar I had for around 7+ years most of the time it was with only 2 other discus. so my opinions most of the time are from past experience
though i agree they do do better in groups, they will also not die from loneliness jmo/e