PDA

View Full Version : Death Row Dogs

Scribbles
12-18-2011, 05:26 AM
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/Mydiscus/0686_CNHall2011-8x10.jpg

As many of you may or may not know I am very involved with animal rescue. It is a fairly well known fact that in the US alone nearly 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year simply because there are not enough homes for all of the pets bred. Therefore I was surprised when the photographer was shocked that Jake, the dog pictured, was my latest death row dog. Jake and his brother were scheduled to be euthanized when they were rescued. They are typical death row dogs. They had the misfortune of being born black. Black dogs and cats are generally the last to be adopted and the first to be euthanized. Many shelters euthanize black dogs and cats upon the owner's release. Young or old, purebred or mixed breed, if the shelter is full or if it is the shelter's policy they are killed simply because of their color. Most of these dogs come from people who can't be bothered to spay or neuter their pets or those who breed a litter because they think that Fido has nice markings or coud be passed off as a purebred and the pups might be sold for a few bucks. 76% of the pets listed in the paper this morning will be dead before they reach their first birthday according to the Humane Society of the United States. So if you are thinking of adding a dog or cat to your family please think of looking in your local shelter or rescue instead of lining the pockets of puppy mills and unscrupulous breeders. There are millions of wonderful loving diamonds in the rough waiting for good homes.

Chris

Sean Buehrle
12-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I couldn't agree with you more.

Second Hand Pat
12-18-2011, 09:18 AM
So agree with this. I hardly ever get to go to the shelter with so many dogs/cats being dropped in my front pasture. Adopted three of these myself, two cats and one dog. All which required to be fixed and bring up to date of shots etc and all now part of the family.

LizStreithorst
12-18-2011, 09:37 AM
My crew consists of:
Tink, Rat Terrier, vacent lot dog
Binky, Rat Terrier, left at a vet hospital
Sylvia, Toy poodle, rescued by a friend and given to me
Chole, Lhasa mix (with the normal Lhasa attitude), given to me by a grooming customer whose husband insisted she be disposed of if they were to have a baby
Saint Puppy, Chow, Black,left on my door step Christmas morning
Blackie, Black, maybe a dobie mix left, from a litter she allowed her mixed breed ***** to have
Roxie, Bassett mix, discovered under my old Katrina house
Dodger (aka Big Head) Roxies' sister, BassetXSharpei, found with Roxie
Gladys, Black, One eyed Pit Mix, Rescued when she showed up at the vet hospital and was to be taken to the humane society. (saved me form a bad man once.)
And Fatty Kate, An Obease Jack Russell, the most worthless of the bunch, who I actaully paid $20. for

And to think I used to be into showing dogs and was once a dog snob. No longer...I can handle 10, but when I'm up to 10 I have to harden my heart. When I have a choice in the matter I always go for the black ones. I know that they don't stand a chance.

nc0gnet0
12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I never knew that black dogs where less desirable than the others.....you learn something new everyday. This is the worst time of year for pets, so many people buying puppies for gifts that soon will be destined for the shelter. Buying a dog is a lifelong commitment in my book. I have three, and although they are all white, one of them is indeed a resucue, and she is the most devoted of the bunch.

Rick

retiredsailor
12-18-2011, 10:19 AM
i applaud you all for having a cause and believing in something. that being said, and i'm fully prepared for the shots to come my way, there is no shortage of dogs or cats in this world. i don't like the idea of euthanasia but there are just too many. i believe your aim shouldn't be at just saving the dogs but educating the people on not being stupid and getting a dog they are going to give away. if you really want to make an impact, do what was done to me... show a picture of a huge black garbage bag filled with euthanized cats. the real problem is the people. so the solution should focus on the people. people don't respond to a picture of a pretty kitten and words that say its going to die. they respond to pictures of that pretty kitten after it has died. my 2 cents. i love my animals and they are never candidates for euthanasia unless suffering from a chronic, debilitating problem.

ian

nc0gnet0
12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Ian,

You don't have to attack a problem on only one front. So while I agree with you in part, if someone is looking to get a dog/cat they should first and foremost start at the shelter and not the local puppy mill. The more succes stories interested parties looking to add a dog or cat to thier family here from rescues, the more likely they are to pursue that route of purchase.

Rick

Chicago Discus
12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Chris I hera ya, its horrible what people do to dogs. they get these cute little puppies and when they get a bit bigger they don't want them anymore so they throw them away. This women after having a dog for ten years and moving decided that she didn't want the dog anymore. She threw the dog over her fence and went back into her apartment. the neighbor punks heard her barking and screaming so they thought it would fun to terrorize her with broom handles and bats. The police were called and the women stated that I don't want the dog anymore. So the coppers quickly arrested her for animal abuse and neglect and the poor dog was transported to the local pet shelter for treatment........................Josie

Chicago Discus
12-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Dont get me started.........................Josie

Bill63SG
12-18-2011, 02:55 PM
If your going to work a dog or hunt it it's one thing.Both our cats and our Lab,Lab/Shep mix have been for shelters.

Scribbles
12-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Sorry for the late response. My computer decided to die right after I posted this and the replacement power cord got held up in the holiday mail. I agree with you Ian that shock photos can really drive the point home but since this is a family forum and kids might be looking at the pictures I thought better of it. I have done alot of talks on not just adopting shelter dogs and cats but selecting the right pet that will fit into the family's lifestyle. Not everyone will be happy with a cute but high energy border collie. I don't know if Jake's future will be in performance events, as my part time service dog, therapy dog, or being part of an educational program that I would like to start. All I know is that he will be permanantly with me and not just another statistic.

Chris

retiredsailor
12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
i hold my head high since 5 of the 6 dogs in my life and 4 of the 5 cats throughout my life were rescues. i hold my head a little lower because that one dog and one cat were not rescues. the cat may have been a rescue but i don't really remember. the dog... we got an 8 week old yorkie from a dog store. i love my animals and always will. there is no difference between the rescues and the non rescues (besides an odd difficulty with potty training). for the most part i always recommend a shelter because 5 of those dogs from my life were, and are, great family members. however i think we get so caught up in our love that we forget there are too many dogs and cats. i know the simple solution, please don't judge me, but its not something i could do. when i was volunteering with the aspca and they took me back to get a cage for whatever i was going out to catch i saw a full hefty bag of kittens. my heart stopped and after we walked out i asked to please never let me see that again. her response was something along the lines of why should i be special, they hate it too. i'm rambling now from memories of 14 years ago. i think i'll stop.

ian

yogi
12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
My two current dogs are rescues. My last dog to pass away was a rescue and so was my cat. If you go to a site like www.petfinder.com it is unbelievable the amount of pets available.

Darrell Ward
01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
We don't have any dogs now, mainly because of the wife's cat, but this 22 pound monster is also a rescue...

mmorris
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I never forgot this thread, and I'm now on pins and needles, waiting for my own black lab rescue. :) Application, personal references, vet references...won't be long now, I hope!

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Cross fingers for you Martha.

Dogvet06
10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
good luck! my 6 babies bring much joy to my life ;)

mmorris
10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks Pat! Wow, Jaimie, six! Six vet bills! LOL

Dogvet06
10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
lol i am the vet! but i do have to pay some ;)

mmorris
10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
lol i am the vet! ;)
Oh yea! LOL I should have studied something more practical - like electrician, mechanic, gutter cleaning, ...veterinarian...

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh yea! LOL I should have studied something more practical - like electrician, mechanic, gutter cleaning, ...veterinarian...

...engineer :D

BobDaniel
10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
All the pets with 4 legs we have had were/are drop offs or shelter rescues. The best and most loyal dog I ever had was a shelter rescue dog.

joanstone
10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Good for you Martha! Keep us posted, very exciting!

chaoslite
10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I got my fingers crossed for you Martha.

Mishka

Disgirl
10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
That's great Martha, please show us a pic when you can.
Barb

Orange Crush
10-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I used to work for a couple of different veterinarians. One place specialized in exotics like rabbits, rats, ferrets etc. Many people would just bring them in to be euthanized because it cost more to treat the animal than what they paid for it at the store. Needless to say it pisses me off that people were so callus with a pet they should take care of. Our clinic policy was to not euthanize because people were unwilling to pay to care for their pets, their responsibilities. Most left the clinic and did god knows what with them but on occasion some a$$hole would say in front of us that they would take the poor animal home and hit it over the head or worse..... Needless to say myself and others ended up taking these animals away from them and adopting them so they had the love and medical care that they deserved. Some people have no business owning pets.
P.S. Always adopt from a shelter and help put the puppy mills out of business.

nwehrman
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I hear you... Almost all my animals are rescues. Even my first discus...long long ago. Not so with my discus anymore but all my four legged ones are rescues. 4 Horses, 3 donkeys, 2 goats, 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 birds (one rescue (16 year old cockatiel hatchling my boss wanted to kill because the parents chewed off all his toes on one side and only left 1.5 on the other) and one I was handfeeding for my job and fell in love with! Same time as I took in the rescue! It's a zoo around here!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scribbles
10-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Good luck Martha! My fingers are crossed.

It would take hours for me to list all of my rescues. My family was the local rescue when we lived in a small town that didn't have a shelter. I have had everything from mice to horses. Even a couple of 1 eyed hamsters (Winky and Blinky) from a local vet who removed their injured eyes and the owners didn't want them back.

Little Jake has come along nicely. He is learning that people can be trusted and has turned into a typical Labramutt.

mmorris
10-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for creating the thread, Chris, and educating me. It looks like by doing so, you saved another one. :)

pcsb23
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I never forgot this thread, and I'm now on pins and needles, waiting for my own black lab rescue. :) Application, personal references, vet references...won't be long now, I hope!Good for you :) Love labs and black labs in particular. Miss my girl Mishka had to have her pts due to cancer :( she wasn't a rescue ...

I have a few rescued reptiles though, does that count?

mmorris
10-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a few rescued reptiles though, does that count?
If you post a pic. :)

Sorry to hear about Mishka. She looks like a sweetie. :(

brewmaster15
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
My Cats are all from rescues or unwanted kittens, and always have been... 3 at this time.

I rescue and rehome Reptiles when I can..:) I just rehomed 2 red eared Sliders (turtles) this past week to a fellow fish hobbyist. They belonged to a kid going off to college.

-al

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Paul, sorry about Mishka. I can understand your love for labs. My current dog is my first lab and she is a sweetheart. I see more labs in my future.

Dogvet06
10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Mishka was a beauty! I'm sorry for your loss. They are def. a very loyal breed :) My Great Pyr mix seems to have some lab like qualities..shes my most recent rescue until hubby brings more home.

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
My rescues are dumped in my front pasture. My second dog and barn cat were dumped two years ago and both needed to be fixed and have their shots. Both are wonderful pets and have settled in very nicely.

Scribbles
10-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for creating the thread, Chris, and educating me. It looks like by doing so, you saved another one. :)

Thank you Martha. This made my day. You are the one saving a life. I can't wait to see pictures of your new buddy.

Paul, Mishka was beautful. I am sorry for your loss.

Chris

mmorris
10-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I've been approved, but I am told the one I had my eye on is super-hyper, and they don't have another 2-3 year old spayed female black lab at the moment. So, unless I begin again with another rescue, and bothering people again for references, I'll have to wait a bit. Hopefully it won't be long, but the honesty re. the dog's termperament is a good reason to adopt from a rescue organization. It's a pity the organizations don't share adoptee information, like references, more than they seem to.

nwehrman
10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Glad your approved and glad they were honest about the temperament! Always good to know going into a rescue!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Very cool Martha on the approval. I would wait for a more laid back temperament also and it will be worth the wait. You do not want a Marley.

pcsb23
10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you Martha. This made my day. You are the one saving a life. I can't wait to see pictures of your new buddy.

Paul, Mishka was beautful. I am sorry for your loss.

Chris

Mishka was a beauty! I'm sorry for your loss. They are def. a very loyal breed :) My Great Pyr mix seems to have some lab like qualities..shes my most recent rescue until hubby brings more home.

Paul, sorry about Mishka. I can understand your love for labs. My current dog is my first lab and she is a sweetheart. I see more labs in my future.

Sorry to hear about Mishka. She looks like a sweetie. :(

Thanks guys - she is missed and she brought loads of joy into our lives.

I've been approved, but I am told the one I had my eye on is super-hyper, and they don't have another 2-3 year old spayed female black lab at the moment. So, unless I begin again with another rescue, and bothering people again for references, I'll have to wait a bit. Hopefully it won't be long, but the honesty re. the dog's termperament is a good reason to adopt from a rescue organization. It's a pity the organizations don't share adoptee information, like references, more than they seem to.Well done :)

If you post a pic. :)well not a rescue, but a newborn today :) it is a Rhacodactylus Leachinaus Henkeli Isle E ...

amilaurie
10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Good luck, Martha! My last three dogs were rescues. Luna [2/too] was a spay-while-you-wait that I got on her LAST day. She'd run out of time. I can thank petfinder for posting her. Oh, and she's black, of course. A mostly Rottie mix.

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Paul, a type of gecko based on the toes?

pcsb23
10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Paul, a type of gecko based on the toes?Yep, commonly called giant geckos - from New Caledonia.

Ardan
10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Paul,
Your lab was a beauty! Sorry for your loss.

We have a rescue cat and a rescue dog. The dog is part german shepherd, part Doberman? He is really good and all the family is attached!

Ardan

Scribbles
10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I've been approved, but I am told the one I had my eye on is super-hyper, and they don't have another 2-3 year old spayed female black lab at the moment. So, unless I begin again with another rescue, and bothering people again for references, I'll have to wait a bit. Hopefully it won't be long, but the honesty re. the dog's termperament is a good reason to adopt from a rescue organization. It's a pity the organizations don't share adoptee information, like references, more than they seem to.

Depending on the rescue they may be able to get dogs from other rescues. Most will have contacts at local shelters. Many purebred shelter dogs are sent directily to breed rescues. The rescue that I got Jake from pulls adoptable dogs schedulted for euthanasia from municipal shelters. The Seattle Humane Society takes in excess Chihuauas and small mixes from shelters in California. The right dog will find you.

Chris

mmorris
10-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Too cute, Paul. Too cute. :heart2:

Thanks all. I suspect the rescue organization will find the right one before too long. They have people. :gossip:

A lot of the rescue dogs are coming up from the south where fewer dogs are spayed and neutered.

Dogvet06
10-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes we have a lot of rescues down south... Here is a movie i made from video taken of one of my patients. She is being fostered right now for our local humane society http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTix9uGlwoY

mmorris
10-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Lucky dog! Look at that tail go, in spite of having his leg pulled this way and that!

Dogvet06
10-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes shes a lucky girl... She was found in a ditch half starved now surrounded by love. She is a sweet girl i wish i had room for her.

Keith Perkins
10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
My last shelter dog was a black lab mix pup that was "expected" to be a medium size dog. The shelter got the whole liter somehow and this little guy was the last one left, it's last sibling had just been adopted earlier in the day. The poor little guy was just lost in the now empty big pen and my wife was afraid to adopt it because it was being so docile and timid. The little guy reminded me of a black bear cub and so he was appropriately named "Bear". Bear ended up tipping the scales at just over 100 pounds at his peak before he got lymphoma at about 7 or 8.

By appearances Bear was a Black Lab/German Shepard cross, with of course who knows what else. Jet black, Lab ears (except the base stood up a bit before the laid over), Shepard sloped chest, and great disposition. The biggest food monger you've ever seen and could reach everything except the very back top of the counter top microwave. Lost a lot of food off those counter tops over the years. One day while we were at the vet before Bear got sick a small dog was their that didn't eat well and was on a very special diet. The old vet who owned the place was drinking a glass of iced tea at the time and said to the small dogs owner "Here, this is how a dog is suppose to eat." He then reached into his glass of tea, pulled out the lemon wedge, and tossed it to Bear who of course promptly chowed it down in a couple seconds. :)

Disgirl
10-18-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm enjoying reading your dog rescue stories! We don't have dogs but do have 4 rescued cats. Our beautiful long hair white girl, Cindy, was adopted by us from a foster lady who got her from someplace she described to me as the Depths of Hell. She was very sick but somehow survived and look at her now!
Barb

damba
10-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Why black? They are popular in the UK. We are much the same with rabbits but just have 2 atm. Marie black ears was very feral. Now shes my baby. They were very badly abused and for 4 years we could only handle her with gauntlets. She will be 10 in may.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

Scribbles
10-19-2012, 05:50 AM
CozyKeith, I am sorry for your loss. Bear sounds like he was a wonderful dog.

Disgirl, Cindy is beautiful. Cindy was the name of my first cat. We only have one cat right now. My German Shepherd has a super high prey drive so they have to be kept separate. When she passes we will add more cats.

damba, Since black dogs are sometimes depicted as evil in books and movies people tend to be more afraid of them. It sounds silly but often people would cross the street when I walked my 31 inch blck Lab/ German Shepherd.

Chris

damba
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I like black dogs. As I said very popular in the UK. Strange how things differ.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

Orange Crush
10-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I rescued a mini rex and a mutt. They are the bosses of our cats.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

damba
10-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Nice bunnies :)
As an aside Marie bit my thumb to the bone last night...:banghead:

mmorris
10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Dogvet06, is there any reason why I should NOT adopt a heartworm positive dog who will get treatment prior to adoption? They told me she would need to be kept quiet for a few weeks afterwards. She's 3-5 years old and looks a bit thin.

Dogvet06
10-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Well have them define how they are treating her. If the is getting the three injection treatment that is the real cure. But now a lot are doing the slow kill method which is e cheap way out and isnt the best for the dog. If she is that young, there shouldnt be much dammage to her heart from the worms and should live a happy healthy normal life.

Second Hand Pat
10-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Jaimie, what is the three injection treatment?

Dogvet06
10-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Well the heartworm society recommends the dog be on prevention for 3 months before any injections....then the month before the first inj they have 30 days of doxycycline which weakens adult heart worms. Then they get 1 inj of immiticide which kills the adult heart worms. They go home on rest and a month later they get 2 inj of immiticide 24 hours apart with another monthh of rest. 6 months later retest. Should be negative. Immiticide is very hard to get so a lot of rescues are doing the slow kill method. But where I work isnt having trouble getting it or they know where to order it.

mmorris
10-22-2012, 12:39 AM
This is all I know at this point: 'She should be treated on Oct. 29th. We would want to keep her for another week to be sure that she handles the treatment ok and then we would release her for adoption. She would need to be on restricted activity for about 3 more weeks and then she can resume normal activity. Restricted activity means no running or really long walks.' They're putting me in touch with the foster person and I will want to know the specifics.

Dogvet06
10-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Sounds like they are doing injections... She may have already had the first injection and now on the two inj part or they are just doing two injections. Do you have heartworms in Ma? You def want to have her tested in 6 mo and keep her on prevention that whole time even if not needed where you are. There are baby heartworms circulating in her blood and it takes 6 mo from them to Reach the heart and become adults. These will not be killed by theinjections.

mmorris
10-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Do you have heartworms in Ma? You def want to have her tested in 6 mo and keep her on prevention that whole time even if not needed where you are. There are baby heartworms circulating in her blood and it takes 6 mo from them to Reach the heart and become adults. These will not be killed by theinjections. I don't know if we have heartworms in Ma. Does the prevention kill the baby heartworms in her blood?

Dogvet06
10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes the prevention kills one of the larval stages. If u dont have them up there u may have hard time getting prevention and they may not test annually.

mmorris
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
They are doing two injections of Immiticide, two days in a row.

Dogvet06
10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
should be fine...thats how we did it a few years ago and had 90% success rate at killing all adult worms. then they added the 3rd injection to make it closer to 100%

Scribbles
10-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I got an urgent call today from a friend of a relative type of thing. It's a very sad situation. Parents lost their jobs, mother and kids staying with relatives, dad took off. their dog of 9 years doesn't have a place to stay and is now living in their car. She is sweet and loving but a pit bull mix so she realisticly wouldn't be coming out of any shelter alive. She is on the waiting list for several no kill foster rescues. If there is anyone in the Seattle area who is willing to foster or give this dog a home please send me a pm and I can give you the contact information.

Chris

mmorris
10-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Do all dogs create wonderful tunes on their squeekie toys, or is my dog particularly clever? :)

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
She is cute Martha. What is she mixed with? Your puppy is clever like mine is :D squeekie squeekie .... squeekie squeekie squeekie. After a dozen squeekies time to borrow the ball.

mmorris
10-30-2012, 09:04 PM
She's a lab with some chow thrown in. She was rescued from imminent death from a shelter in Georgia, and she's incredibly sweet.

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Martha, what her name. She is as cute as can be :D Congrats on your new buddy

Dogvet06
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Awe so happy for u! She looks so happy!

mmorris
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Pat! She came with the name 'Jasmine' but she didn't know it and I didn't care for it, so I renamed her 'Petra' after an archaeological site in Jordan. Fond memories there. :)
Thanks, Jaimie! I hope you are feeling better. :)

Keith Perkins
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Very cute pooch indeed, the ears remind me of Bears. Are you expecting Petra to dig a lot of holes in the backyard? :)

Scribbles
10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Congratulations Martha! Petra is adorable. She looks like she has made herself at home. My dogs squeak then shred spreading fluff everywhere. LOL

Chris

mmorris
10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Are you expecting Petra to dig a lot of holes in the backyard? :)

LOL It took me a minute, but I got it. :laugh:

joanstone
10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Congratulations, have fun with her!

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Pat! She came with the name 'Jasmine' but she didn't know it and I didn't care for it, so I renamed her 'Petra' after an archaeological site in Jordan. Fond memories there. :)
Thanks, Jaimie! I hope you are feeling better. :)

Your own little archaeologist. Great name and the name of one of my daughter's pet when she was a little thing.

Keith Perkins
10-30-2012, 11:34 PM
LOL It took me a minute, but I got it. :laugh:

I figured you would. Guess we'll see how prophetic you are. Once again, awesome looking dog. Looks like a real lover and I'm sure he'll be spoiled appropriately.

mmorris
10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks, all! :) I'm sure it's already clear how spoilt she is (note the pic of her on my bed, the pic of her on my couch!) There are limits, though. She not allowed to bark at and attack the fish!

Disgirl
11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Martha, she is so cute, and look at the nice shiny coat! Enjoy your new dog, she is very lucky. Does she notice your fish yet?
Barb

pcsb23
11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice looking pup Martha - I can already see who the boss is in your house :)

Keith Perkins
11-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Come on now Paul, the dog's not allowed to bark at the fish. lol

I'm sure most of you have seen the Allstate commercial where they say poodles are the smartest breed of dog. Well my wife's toy poodle (she had it before we got married) after 3 plus years just saw the fish for the first time the other night. She barked at them. Smartest breed my...give me a Labrador every time.

Orange Crush
11-02-2012, 05:47 AM
....Well my wife's toy poodle (she had it before we got married).....
I take it that either you do not like toy poodles or you do not want to be associated with the decision to have one ;)

Keith Perkins
11-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I take it that either you do not like toy poodles or you do not want to be associated with the decision to have one ;)

The latter. :)

mmorris
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
I decided I have the room, the time and the heart for another death row dog and so here's the newest addition to my little family, Kiev. :) Kiev is almost two and just came up from North Carolina. Poor little girl has had two and probably three broken bones, the most recent requiring FHO surgery - removal of the head and neck from the femur. She is doing really well, and with help from my other dog Petra, she's learning to play. Nothing she likes better than a cuddle. :)

Keith Perkins
12-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the new addition, I'm sure she'll love the new digs.

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Very cool Martha, I know how much you have enjoyed Petra and adding Kiev sounds perfect plus is a buddy for you both.

Disgirl
12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
What a lucky dog! You are so good to adopt two of the ones nobody else wanted. I bet they are extra wonderful pets. Happy New Year Martha!
Barb

nwehrman
12-31-2013, 04:30 PM
She looks very happy! My best dog in the world had an FHO done on him at 8 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mooncon
12-31-2013, 08:51 PM
We have 6 dogs all rescued I actually was aware that if you rescue a black dog you are most likely saving there life.When we rescue we usually rescue black dogs.The biggest problem are people that get them then don't want to be bothered with them so there disposable. It would be nice if only responsible people were allowed to have pets but that's not the case if it were we wouldn't have a pet explosion because they would be spayed and neutered as needed. The funny thing is animals are forgiving unlike people and they are thrown away like garbage.

nc0gnet0
12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Congratulations Martha, but you do know, it takes three to have a pack don't you?

-Rick

mmorris
12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys, and happy New Year! She is trained now to the invisible fence that surrounds my two acres and to the dog door, and she is thrilled to have the freedom. The two dogs are really attached to each other already. :)

6?!!! Three?!!! :O

Scribbles
01-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Congratulations Martha!

Chris

mmorris
01-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Chris, and thanks for posting this thread. Anyone else adopt a rescued pet?

Disgirl
01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
One of our 4 cats came to me from a foster home. She was 4 mo. old when we got her and the adoptive mother told me the kitten came from "The depths of Hell". She is a healthy and beautiful white longhair cat, very sweet and intelligent.
Barb

mmorris
01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
She got lucky. Kittens at that age have a hard time finding a home. I miss having a cat. If I got one now I'm afraid the dogs would take the squeakie out of it. :(

Heyguy74
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I adopted my dog earlier in 2012. She was about 10 weeks old and chained to a fence with her sister in Daytona Beach, FL. Luckily for her, a neighbor who rescues dogs was there and took them. This is a pic from the other day

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Heyguy74/DSC_0386_zps63d4898e.jpg

joanstone
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
One of our three dogs is a rescue from West Virginia. I have a friend that does rescue in Maine (goes to high kill shelters and pulls out what she can) and that is how we ended up with Kramer. My friend's organization brought up a litter of Aussie/Border Collie mixes that was scheduled to be euthanized in two days (unfortunately, she left their mother). I have one, my sister has one and I helped place the other three. They were approximately 6 months old at the time, they are going to be 11 this year.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p735/joanstone1/IMG_0271_zps444cf3c5.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joanstone1/media/IMG_0271_zps444cf3c5.jpg.html).

Tazalanche
01-05-2014, 01:58 PM
We lost our 8.5 year old English Mastiff in 2010 and our 10.75 year old German Sheppard 10 days ago. I've been considering the idea of rescuing a dog from the shelter, but REALLY want another mastiff. Maybe we'll do both...

mmorris
01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Southern States Mastiff Rescue - TN: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-States-Mastiff-Rescue-Tennessee/158253407647756

:)

Tazalanche
01-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you Martha.

Scribbles
01-20-2014, 06:32 AM
I am loving all of the stories and pictures. Your local animal shelter or Humane Society are just the top of the iceberg. Many areas have breed specific rescues.

Chris

musicmarn1
01-20-2014, 07:10 AM
We lost our 8.5 year old English Mastiff in 2010 and our 10.75 year old German Sheppard 10 days ago. I've been considering the idea of rescuing a dog from the shelter, but REALLY want another mastiff. Maybe we'll do both...

:(so sorry for your loss David, sucks beyond measure when they die, its just not fair. dreading loosing my Rotty boy he turns 10 this year, every day is precious he is my canine soulmate

And if anyone wants to know how many rescue dogs Ihave video on home page here hehe shows me with them...
Just a few eh? www.caninerelationships.com

And lastly just found this thread! Knew I liked you people ! Really good peeps here ;)

mmorris
01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
I am loving all of the stories and pictures. Your local animal shelter or Humane Society are just the top of the iceberg. Many areas have breed specific rescues.

Chris

Thanks to Chris for starting this thread! Both of my dogs came from breed specific rescues. They may cost a bit more than a shelter dog, but not only are they innoculated and spay/neutered, many if not all of their dogs were pulled from death row and have been living in foster homes. The foster parents can answer any questions about the dog you may have, and they will give an honest and fair assessment of the dog's personality. The fee also includes transport. I was looking at dogs on Craig's list, and two separate people offered me what I wanted for free - young adult female black labs. Neither dog was spayed or had had innoculations and both were pure breds. I estimated after vet bills it would cost me no more to get one from a rescue, and I would have a good idea of the dog's temperament to boot. Petfinder is a wonderful place to start a search: http://www.petfinder.com/
A search just told me there are 8,917 dogs looking for a home within a 100 mile radius of me.

If you can't adopt, think about fostering. Rescues can't pull dogs from kill shelters unless they have fosters who will take one or two. http://www.petfinder.com/animal-shelters-and-rescues/fostering-dogs/what-is-dog-fostering/

Tazalanche
02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for the suggestion to rescue. On Wednesday, January 29th, we rescued a 26 month old female AKC registered English mastiff, named Sara. She just had her first litter of puppies weaned off her & was skin & bones when we got her. Our previous English mastiff was registered as a fawn, but technically a silver fawn (tan with a few white specks on the tips of her fur and no black anywhere but mask) with only fawn bloodlines at least 4 generations back. Sara is also registered as a fawn, but has various colors in her lineage (fawn, apricot, brindle & reverse brindle), so she has some apricot & black specks on the tips of her fur & a black streak on her tail. I keep wanting to go wash her tail off. :)

This is Sara's condition, after a bath, the night she came home:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/Critters/Sara_Rescued_01292014a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/Critters/Sara_Rescued_01292014b.jpg

I got up to go to the restroom last night & walked back into the living room to see this (below photo). I think she feels comfortable with us. She's already starting to gain weight back. Her rib cage is not as noticeable & she's getting some definition back in her legs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/Critters/Sara_Family_02082014a.jpg

Susie
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Ian,

I am very busy with dog and cat rescue. I agree with you. People should see the dead animals removed from shelters every day. I don't think anyone "mass drowns" cages of dogs anymore but if they did, that would be a real eye opener and should be a big hit on Youtube. Spaying and neutering needs to be pushed and pushed.

The ones that make me the most troubled today are the pitbull breaders. The most euthenized dog at shelters today are pitbulls. It has nothing to do with their temperment. They are being bred by anyone who thinks they can make a buck. Many end up at the shelter by the time they are a year old.

Susie

Susie
02-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Ian,

I am very busy with dog and cat rescue. I agree with you. People should see the dead animals removed from shelters every day. I don't think anyone "mass drowns" cages of dogs anymore but if they did, that would be a real eye opener and should be a big hit on Youtube. Spaying and neutering needs to be pushed and pushed.

The ones that make me the most troubled today are the pitbull breaders. The most euthenized dog at shelters today are pitbulls. It has nothing to do with their temperment. They are being bred by anyone who thinks they can make a buck. Many end up at the shelter by the time they are a year old.

Susie

Susie
02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
She is lovely. I bet she is one happy girl now.

mmorris
02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
That's so great that you gave her a home! You changed her world.

Scribbles
03-01-2014, 02:10 AM
What a lucky dog. I am so glad that she got a wonderful home.

Chris

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Every animal deserves the right to love and be loved. Great Job ! !

John_Nicholson
07-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Every animal deserves the right to love and be loved. Great Job ! !

So if your house was to become crawling with cock roachs, rats, and snakes you would welcome them with open arms?

-john

peewee1
07-06-2020, 08:50 AM
I am wondering about these old as the hills thread and those who pasted 1,000, 2,000 or more times back then and now no longer. John_Nicolson, for example, more than 8,000 posts. I never see anything from him any more.