PDA

View Full Version : Could this have killed my discus?

typicalalex1
12-19-2011, 02:10 PM
One of my discus died the other day. I wasn't home but my younger brother was. He fed them for me in the morning and he said it went for the food and just stopped and died instantly.

Sounds very suspicious to me. And while doing a water change a few mins ago, I found a small hard shelled shrimp on the bottom of the tank. My brother keeps turtles and this is one of many things you find in the turtle food he feeds them.

Is turtle food harmful to discus?
If so, I think I have found the cause of the unexplained death.
One of the other ingredients in the food are molluscs.

Maybe he chocked on it?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

ShinShin
12-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Turtle food, in and of itself, most likely wouldn't harm discus. It would be possible for one to choke on something too lagre that it inhaled or that got stuck somehow (jagged edge, etc.)

Mat

chrisb01
12-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Turtles are pretty strong, so you can handle them, stick your hand in their water, and so on. So you can be careless with Turtles the way you could never do with Discus.

Ask him what was he handling before he fed your fish.

If he indeed choked with something stuck in his throat (a piece of shrimp shell comes to mind), he would not have died instantly. Yet, if all the other Discus were OK, then you know it was not the Turtle food.

Skip
12-20-2011, 03:13 AM
you are not being told the whole truth.. they just don't die instant coming for food..

if he did die cuz of that.. no telling.. sorry for you lose.. you do have others yes?

typicalalex1
12-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Ok thanks everyone. I know im not being told the whole truth but i guess i will never know. Yes I do have 2 more. Gonna have to wait till new year until I buy more.

I do need a new display pic though, that was the one that died

Silver
12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Well I think I have to share what happen to one of my discus just because it's similar to your post, I had a 55g grow up tank with around 10 2 1/2 to 3" discus and the one that looks bigger than all was eating and swimming normal and then it when to the batton of the thank and turn dark and star shaking just like a breeding pair then it just when to one of the corners and laid down and died, so no even a minute!! I know it's weird but it happen, so maybe the same happen to yours..

Chicago Discus
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Discus can have strokes,heart attacks, neurological failure just like humans the cause to the sudden death is endless...........................Josie

chrisb01
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Sounds like Brooklyn, luke-like-a-hat-a-tach, he just bounced on the ax five times as he fell...
Guy gets found dead in a dumpster - luke-like-a-hat-a-tach... :-)

Chicago Discus
12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Sounds like Brooklyn, luke-like-a-hat-a-tach, he just bounced on the ax five times as he fell...
Guy gets found dead in a dumpster - luke-like-a-hat-a-tach... :-) see Chris is still silly I think I'm the only one getting your jokes.............Josie

chrisb01
12-20-2011, 11:48 PM
see Chris is still silly I think I'm the only one getting your jokes.............Josie

Thanks Josie, at least I know someone is getting them, even if you think they are silly :-)
I owe you big time, plus the 2 cents... hahaha...

Chicago Discus
12-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks Josie, at least I know someone is getting them, even if you think they are silly :-)
I owe you big time, plus the 2 cents... hahaha...
Awwww I like your jokes LOL.........Josie my 2 cents

Keith Perkins
12-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, occasionally discus do just up and suddenly die as your brother described. He could be telling truth, in the spirit of Christmas I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

chrisb01
12-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Maybe the fish just didn't like saying goodbye, so he waited till you were away to go that big pond in the sky.

I agree with CozyKeith, but only in the spirit of Christmas...