PDA

View Full Version : White crusty thing over one eye

mi-ko
12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
One day I saw white crusty thing covering over one eye on one of my discus. It looks almost like hard calcium deposit covering the eye. I put salt in the tank 1 TBS per 5 gallon. In about 3-4 hours it was gone but another fish got the same thing. So I did WC (50%)and put more salt. This is 3rd day and I added 2TBS salt everyday and the eye start looking a little better. So I think I will keep up with this treatment until it's all clear. I have never seen any thing like this. Does anyone know what it is and what causes this condition? The fish is eating but it has hard time catching food.

WA bio

Skip
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Take a pic please and cut paste sick questionaire

mi-ko
12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi. I am using I pad. I don't know how to do what you want me to do. Sorry. Would you tell me how?

Sachio

Skip
12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Chicago Discus
12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi. I am using I pad. I don't know how to do what you want me to do. Sorry. Would you tell me how?

Sachio. I use an iPad sometimes on here it won't let you copy and past just answer the questions in a post from the link that he gave you.......Josie

Skip
12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Chicago Discus
12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Skips my hero..........josie

mi-ko
12-21-2011, 01:37 AM
I saw pictures someone posted as pop eye and my fish's eye looks something like that. White crusty looking thing turned yellowish color but still covering his eye. I wonder I should try medicine for pop eye. I could not copy and paste those questions on my I pad.

mi-ko
12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
I have try to answer those questions but I couldn't because of my I pad. Sorry. I checked and water parameters are OK. Temp. Is 86F
I have been changing 50% of water every day. Yesterday I noticed one of my fish had white crusty thing over his one eye. After putting salt in the tank his crusty thing was gone in 4 hours but I found anther discus had the same thing.
I treated with salt and changing water every day as usual but this one is not getting better as quickly as the other one did. The stuff over his eye is turning yellowish but still covering one eye totally. After treating with WC and adding extra salt for 3 days, maybe I should use some medications. What would be the best medicine for this type of condition?

Skip
12-21-2011, 01:59 AM
I have try to answer those questions but I couldn't because of my I pad. Sorry. I checked and water parameters are OK. Temp. Is 86F
I have been changing 50% of water every day. Yesterday I noticed one of my fish had white crusty thing over his one eye. After putting salt in the tank his crusty thing was gone in 4 hours but I found anther discus had the same thing.
I treated with salt and changing water every day as usual but this one is not getting better as quickly as the other one did. The stuff over his eye is turning yellowish but still covering one eye totally. After treating with WC and adding extra salt for 3 days, maybe I should use some medications. What would be the best medicine for this type of condition?

if you can't answer the questions.. you can't get any help.. its simple.. too many variables.. THATS why the standard questions..

ps.. what are good parameters.. if you don't list them.. the questionnaire is for a reason..

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
if you can't answer the questions.. you can't get any help.. its simple.. too many variables.. THATS why the standard questions..

ps.. what are good parameters.. if you don't list them.. the questionnaire is for a reason..

What my dear friend is trying to tell you is we need a little more to help you, maybe a picture or more definite answers................Josie

mi-ko
12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Here is my answers to the questions.

1. One of my discus has one eye covered by crusty white stuff but it now turned yellowish and the eye is popping out.
It started suddenly 3 days ago. He is eating and swimming around.

2. His affected eye is cloudy. He is not turning dark.

3. I have not started any medications.

4. Tank size is 29 gallon and it's 4 months old. I have 4 4 inch discus in the tunk. I had more fish but they are moved
To other tanks about a week ago

5. This is a BB tank. I have been changing 30-50% water every day. I don't age water for WC.

6. Water parameter:
Temperature. 87F, PH. 6, ammonia 0, nitrite. 0, nitrate 0,
I use city tap water

7. No new fish tried or plant recently.

I could not copy your question forms since I am using IPad I, I answered those questions according to the number in your question form.
What medications should I use for this condition?

mi-ko
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
My discus's condition has gotten worse over night. His eye Looks like eye's of bubble eye gold fish and his color turned very dark. He is also hiding behind sponge filter. He needs help quickly. What should I do??!! I did 30 % WC.

Sachio

Skip
12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
picture please

TURQ64
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
We need a photo, as this doesn't sound 'common', for lack of a better phrase. It all started from overcrowding, (bacterial) so change ALL the water, then half again tomorrow. Then maybe we'll talk about med's....

mi-ko
12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
What address do I send pictures to? I hope you guys understand that this is my first experience joining forum.

Skip
12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
photobucket.com