PDA

View Full Version : Discus fighting alot this morning

down2earth
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
my fish seem to be fighting alot this morning. i tested the tank and this is what i get

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
nitrates 5 ppm
nitrites 0 ppm

are my levels good? other then ph high. i know this but i can only afford tap water right now. need to get me my own RO system in my house.

water is clean. filters are good. the tank is sitting in the sun light.

what are they fighting so much for? they normally don't do this

wendy9722
12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
they are like husbands and wifes. They fight. I had a pair that would fight from time to time. I had to seperate for a week then was able to put back together once she healed. But they are doing great now. Good luck!!!

Skip
12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
normal

down2earth
12-21-2011, 10:43 PM
well there is 4 discus in my 60 gallon tank. the biggest one picks on the one that is just smaller then it. that one then picks on the smallest one. they look to be playing tag or something. no one is gettin hurt but they sure are swimming all over. i thought it might be from peckin order. but they been together for about 4 months now. thats when i got the smallest one. i am soon gettin 2 more. this might help them. be in a school again instead of just the 4 of them. but that wont be for a while since i have to QT them for a month or 2. i think my fish will be fine. i been watchin them closely for the past few days. like i said no one is gettin hurt. they are just doing the aggressive kissing and the random nipping of the tail fin. the biggest fish i have seems to break them all up once she has had enough i guess.

PAR23
12-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Normal behavior. Dominant fish will need to keep others in line from time to time. Also your pH is just fine. Would not mess with it.

down2earth
12-22-2011, 12:56 AM
ok cool i was worried about the PH. this is city tap water. but if you are sayin its good ill leave it. i plan to breed discus in my home. do i need to worry about my ph then or no ?

PAR23
12-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Many people have had success breeding using tap water. It all depends on the hardness of your water. Higher egg fertilization with softer water

down2earth
12-22-2011, 01:02 AM
well when i get my first breeding pair i will look into gettin a water softener / RO water system for my storage tanks.