PDA

View Full Version : food for growout?

spiffyfish
12-21-2011, 04:36 PM
hey guys just wondering what types of food you are using for growout? i am finally getting around to getting my tank up and cycled and will have 8 discus more than likely from kenny in my 75 gal. since they will be juvies and i work full time i do have an eheim auto feeder which i will be using for during the day feedings, but what should be used in there for food?

Altum Nut
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey Chris,

I always suggest speaking with the supplier.
In this case it's Kenny/Forrest. No better people to ask then the A-Team themselves who has grown them to this stage.

The auto feeder can hold flake or granules along with earthworm or other sticks.

If you want more suggestions...I feed approx. 4-6 times per day - B/H - Seafood Mix, FCBW, FDBW and various types of flake like ON prime reef, Bills B/H flake and the occasional Earthworm sticks and Tetra Color Granules.

...Ralph

spiffyfish
12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
thanks for the response Ralph, i am planning on feed around that 4-6 times a day just didnt know what peoples ruitines were with working full time. i will probably have to feed 3-4 times during the day with the auto feeder, and maybe once before i leave for work and once or twice after work. they should be fine with just flakes or pellets from the feeder during the day right?

troweler
12-21-2011, 09:49 PM
I feed mine 6 x a day wit a varied diet of granules, flake and frozen foods

spiffyfish
12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
what kind of stuff are you guys using in auto feeders?

Altum Nut
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Chris,

You are basically limited to what you can use in a auto feeder.
Flake and granules. No live or frozen. Have never tried freeze-dried.
Check out one of our Sponsors Ken who sells a wide variety of quality foods for your feeder.
http://www.kensfish.com/food-feeders.html

...Ralph

spiffyfish
12-22-2011, 01:08 PM
thanks again Ralph i knew i was going to be limited but need the feeder for grow while im at work to feed them a few times during the day. i have purchased stuff from kens in the past i will check out his food selection.

Altum Nut
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Sounds good Chris.
All this talk about feeding and I forgot to mention what size discus are you growing out.

...Ralph

spiffyfish
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
they will probably be around the 3'' range.

pcsb23
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
When I use auto feeders I use a high quality granular food, I have found flake sometimes clogs. I don't think the brand I use is available in the USA, it is called ZM Premium and is excellent imo/e

down2earth
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
do you guys have a specific brand of food you stick with for frozen blood worms, beef heart and brine shrimp ?

spiffyfish
01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
i will be feeding mine FDBW from AL, tetra colorbits, and some beefheart flake, and pellets from kens fish.

Cevoe
01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello, Chris.
I use the Eheim auto feeder and I use Tetra Color Bits in them.
I will also mix in Hikari Discus or New Life but I like the way Color Bits work with the feeder because of their size and all my discus go for them.
I also think it is a pretty good food when compared with other pellets.
The feeder goes four times a day. You'll just have to monkey around with the opening and how much you want dropped at a time.
When I get home from work they get Al's freeze dried blackworms and different flakes.
Also, I am usually trying out different home mixes that I will feed only right before changing water.

spiffyfish
01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks Chris that is pretty much what i will be feeding mine, glad it will work well with the feeder.