PDA

View Full Version : bare bottom tanks?

kalan850
12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
with regular waterchanges why is it difficult to have younger discus in a planted tank or a tank with substrate?

Skip
12-22-2011, 11:29 PM
because of all the feedings thru the day.. not all the food is eating.. so it rots.. and cause water quality issues..

ZX10R
12-22-2011, 11:38 PM
with regular waterchanges why is it difficult to have younger discus in a planted tank or a tank with substrate?

It is not that you can't do it. It is just a lot more work keeping the substrate and water clean with all the feedings. I grew out all my fish from 2.5" to 5.5"-6.5" but it was a ton of work. If had to do it over again I would go BB with a smaller tank 55-75 gallon. If you want to grow out juvies then trust me save yourself the work and go BB. If you want to buy adults the planted and substrate will be fine.

chiligum
12-23-2011, 05:33 AM
As said before, if you have a BB tank, there's nowhere for uneaten food or poop to hide and foul the water.

Second Hand Pat
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Kalan, if you want to grow juvies I would suggest BB while they are growing and once they reach near adult size then add the plants and substrate. With good care they grow pretty fast.

Bill63SG
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
My first was planted with substrate,bb wasn't floating with the wife in the family room.When I did my first bb's in the basement,I was amazed at how much waste there was daily.

ShinShin
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Gravel is also a breeding ground for pathogens. Gravel cannot be vacuumed sufficiently to maintain high water quality and remove all the "bugs" that grow there.

Mat

Chicago Discus
12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Gravel is also a breeding ground for pathogens. Gravel cannot be vacuumed sufficiently to maintain high water quality and remove all the "bug" that grow there.

Mat

Matt sent you a PM ........oh yea gravel no good........Josie