PDA

View Full Version : Discus By itself?

PaytonGrant
12-24-2011, 02:17 AM
I recently got a discus from a pet store that was all by itself as a trade in. He was very pretty healthy good gills so I bought him even though I know they need groups. I was afraid that he was going to die in the store. The lady bagging the fish actually dropped him it was awful and they have no return policy............... Anyways he is in my very planted 80 gallon bowfront, its very tall. He seems to be doing ver good he explores and seems happy but there are other fish in the tank like mollies guppies.

Anyways he wont eat when I'm around because he is afraid of me. How do I feed him?

Also when he cants see me like at night time he isn't shy and seems to be every happy.

damba
12-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Give time and he will eat although the mollies are worrying me as the are ravenimous feeders. The discus probably grazes when you are not there. They can go a while withoud foodvso dont worry
Tom

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

cjr8420
12-24-2011, 04:19 AM
check out beginners section and or site search will have any and all info needed hth

chiligum
12-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Give him time to settle and don't panic!

Sent from Mordor using Tapatalk

Skip
12-24-2011, 08:46 AM
I recently got a discus from a pet store that was all by itself as a trade in. He was very pretty healthy good gills so I bought him even though I know they need groups.

they why buy it, if you already know this..

The lady bagging the fish actually dropped him it was awful and they have no return policy............... .

they recover from dropping...

He seems to be doing ver good he explores and seems happy but there are other fish in the tank like mollies guppies.

you should never just add them to existing tank with existing fish.. can expose either fish to illness.. always qt!

Anyways he wont eat when I'm around because he is afraid of me. How do I feed him?.

they can take up to a week to settle into new environment..

Also when he cants see me like at night time he isn't shy and seems to be every happy.

time...

never buy fish from LFS cuz you feel sorry for them.. you don't know what you can bring into your tanks..

have you done water changes? if so, how much do you do? how often?

PaytonGrant
12-24-2011, 07:55 PM
I do a water change about every three days, about 15 percent. My tank water quality is always perfect. It's a densely planted tank with two 250 Watt heaters on opposites of the tank. The reason I bought him was because he was inexpensive and my current fish are hardy and not expensive if he was to carry an illness. I realize they need a group although I wanted to try him before I purchased a whole group.