PDA

View Full Version : Newb converting to first discus tank.

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 12:42 AM
So this being my first post ill do a little explaining. I've been keeping fish for quite awhile now, I currently have 2 tanks. A 4' 150 gallon tank housing mbuna cichlids, and a 50 gallon tall planted tank with rainbows and growing out about 150 JD fry. Well I've been fascinated with discus since tthe first time I saw them and knew I had to have them, but wanted to refine my fishkeeping before I attempted it. Fast forward a couple years to today, I feel like I'm finally ready but want everyone's input.

so this is my plan
I am going to sell off all the mbuna(currently in the process) and completely empty out my tank to a bb with a nice piece of driftwood coming down from the top. My filter is an fx5(to much flow?) A spraybar is an easy thing if it is. I already have the barrels to fill so my water can age(Ph at 7.3 aged), id be able to change 100 gal a day or every other day. However my tank is 31 someodd inches deep which I think could cause complications in the long run.

Now I will need help on the actual stocking. I think starting with 12 juvies would be a good starting point and in the end I want to have at least one breeding pair because I love having fry. But do I have to go with all the same coloration of discus or can I mix them? How can I make sure that if by chance two different color variations pair up that the fry will be attractive? In the event I end up with a pair they would have a nice home in the 50 gallon.

I'm sure I missed somethings but it was a lot to try and translate. Lol any help and suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance everyone!
Nate :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Orange Crush
12-26-2011, 02:33 AM
You can mix them any way you want but IMO it looks better if you do not have too many different kinds. If you are wanting the fry to have a specific look I would recommend just keeping those type of discus.
As for what combos make attractive fry that is subjective. I would do some research into what strains you like and then ask people what their fry would look like if they were to breed. Also, the fry will be more attractive if they are well cared for and not stunted; several feedings a day and big daily water changes. If you go with PB's keep in mind they will pepper if the backround is dark, that is not attractive to most people.

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
I really like the blues and the yellows, although I know they wont mix at all when it comes to fry. I was thinking about the leapords and green turquoise. Ill get on my research asap. You guys will have to give me a little break for a bit until I can get all my names down. They would all be going into my 150 gal to start so I don't think they would be stunted. Lol

Skip
12-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Grow out juvies in the 50g.. Get what ever strains u want there is no right or wrong.. If u want fry, forget the 12 juvies.. Get adult confirmed pair.. Dont waste the year on growing out.. $400 get the pair.. Tank size does mot prevent stunting.. Daily large water changes and a good diet of high protein foods does that..

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I want juvies. It will be cool to bond with them. :) and just hope foe the best with a pair. Why grow out in the 50 opposed to the 150?

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 10:15 AM
I want juvies. It will be cool to bond with them. :) and just hope foe the best with a pair. Why grow out in the 50 opposed to the 150?

Way easier to keep up with daily 80% WC and feeding. Juvies are confined to a smaller space so do not use energy finding food in a larger space and stay a more uniform size while growing out.

Skip
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Yep.. Jus like pat said..

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Ah that makes perfect sense. Just means ill be able to get them a little sooner. :) would that mean id have to start with a smaller group?

Skip
12-26-2011, 02:16 PM
It comes down to budget.. Get the largest size and number u can afford..

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 02:53 PM
So 12 is still fine, I was planning on two groups of six. So only 2 varieties

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 02:59 PM
What size are you considering?

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Fish? 3" I think.

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Fish? 3" I think.

Hi Nate, three inches is a good starting size, four inches even better for a new person starting out in discus. If you start at the four inch size I would use the 150 over the 50 gallon. If you start in the three inch size start in the 50 but soon you will need to jump to the 150. I currently have 6 juvies in a 40 breeder who are all coming four inches and larger and soon will need to jump to a 75.
Pat

Skip
12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Mini. 4".. Remember no matter what u do.. They will not all grow at same rate or to same size, their will always be a low man that wony grow.. Thats the pecking order..

Large water changes are still a must

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 04:38 PM
A starting point,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 04:44 PM
If I do 4" Id have to buy less at a time because of the price difference, and the 150 is way easier to change the water on which is one of the reasons I wanted to start in it. I already have a good system down for changing my water and didn't want to manually move buckets everyday. I will if need be though. Lol I could divide the 150 with egg crate or something though to make it a smaller area for them when they're smaller. Would that work?

Skip
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
For sure! Thats the exact way!
Confine them while gettin additional benefits of 150g!

Say no more sir!

Carry on!

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Nate, it will but try this. Once your 150 is clear of fish do daily large WCs in the 150 for a week. See if you are willing to do that for 6 months or a year. Another thing you are doing WCs on the 50 with buckets? :noway: A water barrow with pump is way easier.

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
For sure! Thats the exact way!
Confine them while gettin additional benefits of 150g!

Say no more sir!

Carry on!

Skip, what is your largest tank?

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Very nice. As soon as I find homes for my remaining mbuna and holey rock ill rescape and make my first purchase. :) I was going to get some of Hans on here if possible. I haven't seen anyone unhappy getting fish from him. Ill have to get them in two purchases, 6 at a time. I still need to research with two kinds I want, keeping in mind that in the event I want the fry to look good. I really like the yellow barred ones, the turquoise reds, red leapords, and the like turquoise snakeskin(pretty sure that way their name) what are your opinions of tthose?

I'm also gonna try the hydor inline heater, it way not work out but its worth a shot.

Skip
12-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Pat.. 75g. :)

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Nate, it will but try this. Once your 150 is clear of fish do daily large WCs in the 150 for a week. See if you are willing to do that for 6 months or a year. Another thing you are doing WCs on the 50 with buckets? :noway: A water barrow with pump is way easier.

All very good ideas. Ill have to get a wheelbarrow.

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Nate, how long will it take you to do a 50% WC on a 150?

Takes me 1 and 1/2 hours on my 230 with gravity feed 2/3 tubing and Mag drive 9.5 pump on the refill. 45 mins on 50% WC on a 75 and half hour on a 40 breeder for a 80% WC.

Second Hand Pat
12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
...Ill have to get a wheelbarrow.

Water barrow ;). I have four, two 44s and two 33s. I really need 4 50s.

Nate, do you have to age your water? if not a python might be better.

Bully405Customz
12-26-2011, 05:46 PM
It takes between 45-60 min depending on what all I do. I currently do age mmy water with the mbuna but that's only because I have to get it heated up. I use my fx5 to drain out the window beside the tank, then refill out of a barrel in the closet on the other side of the tank. Its pretty easy, then I usually spend my tine, wwhile it's draining and filling, cleaning glass and the maintenance on the 50.

chiligum
12-27-2011, 06:29 AM
On my 75 i bucket 50% out each time, i don't mind how long it takes, i wouldn't be keeping fish if i didn't mind the work involved, where would the fun be if you just bought fish and looked at them with nothing to do?!...12 fish of 2 different strains of fish is better than most people do when they 1st keep Discus and that would be to buy 12 Discus but each one a different strain...They look more natural, i can't explain it, they just look better IMO!

Second Hand Pat
12-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Nate, sounds like you could make the 150 work since you have "been there, done that" :)

chiligum, the bucket brigade is fine on one tank but for me not practical with multiple tanks and a bad back.

chiligum
12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
You see Pat i feel sorry for you with the bucket and bad back, but then i don't because you have multiple tanks!

Bully405Customz
12-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm just going to take my time and progress into it. I'm very excited though.

Bully405Customz
12-28-2011, 11:33 PM
So I've heard conflicting info about wilds. Are they more sensitive or less?