PDA

View Full Version : 250G Manzanita Driftwood and High Tech Planted Tank - Not Quite Discus Yet

Consigliere
12-28-2011, 02:37 AM
I haven't posted on this forum yet because I wasn't entirely sure I was going to make this a discus tank. My wife made it very clear that this tank needed some show quality fish because of the proportions. I knew I wanted a very large school of small tertras. I'm going to stock 50-60 cardinals and 20 -25 silver hatchets, but we both decided discus were a must as well! I had been lurking here for a while and knew there were a few suppliers in Ontario that were within driving distance so we looked at a few websites and determined that we would do discus in this tank 100%. The plan will be for 12 - 15, with the emphasis on standing out in a fairly heavily planted woodscape. I've had some recommendations for reds, and I would like to have blues as well. Specific species I'm not sure about. Would be looking for recommendations on that. I've never kept discus before but have done my research. The quantity and quality of feeding will be new to me, that's fore sure. The auto water change that is hooked up to my house drain will be a very nice feature.

I've been working on a tank build over the last 2 years. If I remember correctly, I got hooked up with the tank builder from someone on this forum. Long story (the whole build is on my blog) short, I have a 250G manzy tank planted with crypts (parva, wedntii 'green', wendtii 'bronze', cordata, balansae ponderfolia, retrospiralis and albida), anubias (barteri ), ferns (needle leaf, windelov and regular) and apongetong crispus

The tank has been up for about 8 or 9 weeks. All the equipment, installation and setup is detailed on my blog but the important things are :

Lighting: 480W T5H0, 4 x Geismann midday, 2x Geismann aquaflora for 6hrs a day and climbing
Filter: 70G Sump with 20G isolation chamber, Quiet One 9000 pump, 36W UV sterilizer, pressurized CO2 injection, pH controller, 800W heating, auto water change setup with sump pump to house drain
Tank: 250G custom, 3x 2" drains, 2x 2" returns
Hardscape: Manzanita driftwood zip tied together
Substrate: Netlea brown aqua soil

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nuBVf-tkeps/Tu1tmty8scI/AAAAAAAABZw/M0hJnDYQaxk/s800/DSC_0204.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--PhmW7yWnnI/Tu1uYZcsinI/AAAAAAAABac/4OuJGl45a08/s800/DSC_0257.JPG

Most of the crypts in this shot (about a week old) have completed melted. The parva and wendtii 'green' took the least damage after planting. The melted plants are just starting to sprout back now. Will be a while to everything grows out and thickens up to the intended levels. Onto the fish:

Current Fish/Inverts; 2 x clown pleco, 2 x rubber nose pleco, 1 x albino bushynose pleco, 11x panda corys, 13x otos and ~80-90 ghost shrimp.

The plan will be to add a few more plecos, a school of 15-20 sterbai corys, a few more otos, and any inverts I can get locally that would be suitable. I'm wondering about rams as well. I haven't read good things about rams and corys together. Anyone have positive experience with this stocking? After that discus will hopefully be going in.

I'm also going to beef up the planting with some smaller anubias species. I'm going to add 5-6 stems of anubias nana 'gold' and 'petite' to the driftwood.

I still have to repair my CO2 solenoid to optimize the setup and put the cabinet around the stand. Other than that, this setup is just needing some fish!

Discus-n00b
12-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Love this setup, can't wait to see it grown in too!!

joanstone
12-28-2011, 07:35 AM
I agree, I really like the wood arrangement.

ZX10R
12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
A nice group of wilds would look good in there

ExReefer
12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome looking tank, but I would not put anything other than albino discus in there (if you have to have discus). All other discus will darken with that substrate and dark wood. That tank would look awesome with wild Altum Angelfish.

zhasan
12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
That is a beauty! It'll look amazing with a nice big group of discus in it!!

Consigliere
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.

Also thanks for the advice on the albino. I did not realize that non-albino would darken up in there. I was aware of the peppering but overlooked the fact that the tank is a bit darker setup. I'm passing on angels just because I want something with a little more colour that will stand out against the plants/wood.

bugman2494
12-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Very interesting tank. It will look amazing once all the plants grow out.
Will be interested to see how the clay substrate holds in following year and if it at all affects the discus.

YSS
12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Looking forward to more pictures as the tank mature and the tank is fully stocked. Great start!!! As for stocking, sounds very good. I have a pair of blue rams with over 60 corys and they are fine. I also recommend lemon tetras. I really like them. I used to have your standard caridnals and rummy set up, but replaced the cardinals with the lemons. I really like the lemons and rummies together. Also as for the hatchets, they are jumpers, so you will have to make sure your tank is very well covered. Good luck!

Consigliere
12-29-2011, 03:59 PM
60 corys? That's a great school. What species are you using? Would be very cool to see that many together. Good to know the rams and corys can be OK together. Do you have plenty of hiding spots in the tank you keep them in or are they OK out in the open together?

Anyone else with positive/negative experience with cory/ram combos?

I've seen lemons at LFS before and wasn't impressed. What's the attraction of them? I was intending to go with cardinals because of the colours, I figured they would stand out the best in a planted tank...lemons seemed a bit plain. I'll have to do some more research on the lemons based on your suggestion though.

The tank has a 4" rim around the top and then will have a fully enclosed canopy so hopefully that will be OK for the hatchets. They won't be in until the canopy is build and installed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Great forum for ideas. Keep them coming!

laborelch
12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I have 6 rams and about 12 corys in my 200g. No issues. Don't see the corys during the day though, they're hiding in the driftwood and come out at night.

jay973
12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
This is going to be amazing! Looks great already. I raised rams with a group of 6 cories didn't have issues they ignored one another most of the time except during feeding but there was plenty to go around. I have 3 breeding pairs with about 8 cories now I don't expect the eggs to make it since the plecos help themselves as well but the pairs are more aggressive to one another than to anything else in the tank.

Look forward to the maturing....

blkg35
01-03-2012, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't put the otos in with the discus. I just removed 2 of my otos because they kept sucking on the discus's body.
Caught them doing it many times and the discus would have to shake pretty hard to get them off.
Beautiful tank, looking forward to seeing the plants grow in.

Consigliere
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Quick photo update. Finally spending the time to learn my DSLR. Not there yet but this is getting much better. Colours are looking much more realistic but a bit on the yellow side and a bit underexposed.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LuRWOKFxRf4/TwEnVmipETI/AAAAAAAABaw/4Cg1le8tn38/s800/DSC_0393.JPG

Mxx
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I love that your wife insists upon some large show fish while previously you were looking at tetras. LOL Not that I had anything against it myself, but I'd actually heard somewhat the same thing in regards to my own plans. My (correct) suggestion was that maybe she just happens to need glasses.

Did you manage to get your CO2 fully up and running now to get the plants established and before you start to have additional problems with them?

Generally I see Ancistrus or even Peckoltia suggested for discus tanks more so than Otos or Plecos.

Consigliere
01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
CO2 is running, just low level without pH feedback right now. I need to replace my solenoid still but the CO2 is on.

Lytehouse
01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
very interesting

Discus will look awesome

Mxx
01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I ended up with a ph controller but after researching it never actually used it. If you have at least a drop checker you could still run your Co2 to achieve a mild green so long as you have decent surface agitation. For especially when you've just set up your tank you could be at risk of getting hit with some algae. Sounds like you have a fair crew to help with that. Not sure of your precise lighting intensity, but adding some more fast growing plants or even floaters could help hand the advantage to the plants instead of the algae, even if they're to be there but temporarily.

rbarn
01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
CO2 is running, just low level without pH feedback right now. I need to replace my solenoid still but the CO2 is on.

Get a full controller system. They are worth their weight in gold. Control everything from lights, to PH to heaters all in one box. Using something like the Neptune Apex you can control everything from your smart phone or computer and get email and/or text alerts if something is out of whack.

Yellowing just looked like some tannins to me. Put some Purigen in a panty hose sock and stick in your sump or tank for a while.

Dennis The Mennis
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Quick photo update. Finally spending the time to learn my DSLR. Not there yet but this is getting much better. Colours are looking much more realistic but a bit on the yellow side and a bit underexposed.

Photoshop Elements, or if your can afford it, Lightroom are really helpfull for correcting pictures

Mxx
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
It seems we're confused, is it the water or just the photos that are yellow here?

Consigliere
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
It seems we're confused, is it the water or just the photos that are yellow here?

Probabaly a bit of both is my guess.

eaglesfan3000
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
She's a bute.

msharper
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I think I have seen this tank on TPT forum... Your doing it the right way. Take your time and be sure to fully stock all your tetras etc. before putting in discus. Looks very very very nice!

Consigliere
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I think I have seen this tank on TPT forum... Your doing it the right way. Take your time and be sure to fully stock all your tetras etc. before putting in discus. Looks very very very nice!

Yes... trying to get as much help as possible.

Squidman
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Can you share where the wood came from?

Consigliere
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Was from a user on Aquatic Plant Central forum...not sure if he still sells it or not. Was a couple years ago so not sure what his status is. I believe there is a post in my blog with his username, you could do a search. The link is here...http://canaquaticgardens.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/shout-out-to-jake-for-amazing-manzanita-wood/

The two usernames listed are from two different forums. The other forum he's on may have been the Planted Tank forum.