PDA

View Full Version : Weird behavior

Sheila
12-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I observed some odd behavior tonight and I have no idea why. One of my discus was hovering mid water and allowing 2 others to peck at it? They didn't appear to be doing it in an aggressive manner, it almost looked as though they were cleaning him. Why would one discus allow others to do this? My concern is that damage is likely being done to the fishes slime coat. Anyone else see this with there fish? Is there anything I can do about it?

Skip
12-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Yep.. Mine did that to.. happened for a few months

Sheila
12-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Oh good, so it's nothing to worry about? It just looks so strange!

Skip
12-29-2011, 01:28 AM
i would not say its normal.. but it was a behavior i watched.. it was like he was having a seizure..

but they would take chunks out.. finally it ended up stopping.. after i moved him to another tank with only 3 other LSS.. it stopped after a few weeks in there..

but he was got very dark alot

chiligum
12-29-2011, 05:17 AM
That's really weird as i have just noticed this for the 1st time only about an hour before i read this!
It was only one fish doing it to the other though...It looked like it was pecking at it, the other fish was at a funny side angle and the other was pecking at the side of it's tail and side.
It's not done it again, but it was the 1st time i have ever seen this behaviour.

Sheila
12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
yeah, that's exactly what mine was doing, the one that was getting pecked even went upside down at one point! But there are only 2 fish he seems to allow to peck at him.

Skip
12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Mine only stood on tail.. Either the fish sence weakness and pivk at him.. Or its another behavoir.. Idk.. But it lasted like 3 months..

Sheila
12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
hmm I'll have to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it stops

nwehrman
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Was happening in my growout tank also about a month ago... Largest one was just sitting there letting several others bite him...

He was just confirmed last night! We have wrigglers this afternoon!

Nicole